Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > HTTP proxy on Cisco 7940 phones?

HTTP proxy on Cisco 7940 phones?

Jeff Rhys-Jones

Hi all,

We are looking at developing in support for Cisco 7940/60 phones for
our product. I was wondering if there anyone out there that knew if
you need to have a Cisco Callmanager running in order to browse XML
websites from the phone (services)?

Our application can output many forms of XML, however our test phone
just seem to return a 'Parser Error' for each type.

We are using the phone in standalone mode with SIP.

So, can we use any old HTTP proxy, or do you need to run Call
Manager...?

Kind regards,

Jeff

chris@nospam.com

On 15 Jul 2003 11:56:53 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jeff Rhys-Jones) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We are looking at developing in support for Cisco 7940/60 phones for
>our product. I was wondering if there anyone out there that knew if
>you need to have a Cisco Callmanager running in order to browse XML
>websites from the phone (services)?
>
>Our application can output many forms of XML, however our test phone
>just seem to return a 'Parser Error' for each type.
>
>We are using the phone in standalone mode with SIP.
>
>So, can we use any old HTTP proxy, or do you need to run Call
>Manager...?
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Jeff

The Call Manager isn't involved once the phone is pointed to a
webpage. Have you looked at the Cisco IP Phone Service Dev Kit? It
explains all of the acceptable xml tags and format. The phones are
pretty picky and will throw an error if the syntax is not valid.
Technically it doesn't meet XML standards as it doesn't ignore unknown
xml tags.

Jeff Rhys-Jones

Thanks Chris,

I think I've seen a link to that somewhere on Ciscos site - I remember
being put off by the need to join some development program which cost
$$$$$.

Is there any way to get this kit without having to pay to join the dev
program? After all we really just want to experiment and don't want to
have to shell out loads just to do that. We don't mind paying to be on
a program later on if we think our product can work with Ciscos XML...

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be most greatful!

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff Rhys-Jones

Aha,

This is where I got 'stuck' last time.

On this URL, it clearly says the Phone Services
SDK pack is 'Free of charge'

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800925a8.html

But they then give you the URL :

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/570/

For the 'Developer Support Website' - Where I downloaded the
'Developer Support Agreement'

This agreement seems to suggest you have to sign up and pay at least
$2,000 for a support package... thus, the original claim that the pack
was avaliable free of charge.. does not appear to be true!!!!

Do you know how I can test this SDK, wihout having to pay for support,
that I really don't want until we commit to using this product for
production work?

We are to get a batch of 7940s/7960s in soon, so I think long term we
are going to join up on some sort of support plan....

Many thanks,

Jeff

T.A.R

On 15 Jul 2003 11:56:53 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Jeff Rhys-Jones) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We are looking at developing in support for Cisco 7940/60 phones for
>our product. I was wondering if there anyone out there that knew if
>you need to have a Cisco Callmanager running in order to browse XML
>websites from the phone (services)?
>
>Our application can output many forms of XML, however our test phone
>just seem to return a 'Parser Error' for each type.
>
>We are using the phone in standalone mode with SIP.
>
>So, can we use any old HTTP proxy, or do you need to run Call
>Manager...?
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Jeff

A friend of mine in Chile has a product called TodoWeb. It is a
relatively cheap product to develop web pages, and it uses XML format.
Last time I talked to him he said he was using his program to view
pages on an IP phone (I think it was a 7460). Here is a link:

http://www.paradigma.cl/
http://www.paradigma.cl/englishversi...shversion.html

Thor Atle Rustad

chris@nospam.com

On 17 Jul 2003 10:43:55 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Jeff Rhys-Jones) wrote:

>Aha,
>
>This is where I got 'stuck' last time.
>
>On this URL, it clearly says the Phone Services
> SDK pack is 'Free of charge'
>
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800925a8.html
>
>But they then give you the URL :
>
>http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/570/
>
>For the 'Developer Support Website' - Where I downloaded the
>'Developer Support Agreement'
>
>This agreement seems to suggest you have to sign up and pay at least
>$2,000 for a support package... thus, the original claim that the pack
>was avaliable free of charge.. does not appear to be true!!!!
>
>Do you know how I can test this SDK, wihout having to pay for support,
>that I really don't want until we commit to using this product for
>production work?
>
>We are to get a batch of 7940s/7960s in soon, so I think long term we
>are going to join up on some sort of support plan....
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Jeff

I know the SDK was free in the past as I've downloaded it. Try
emailing Cisco at (E-Mail Removed) and point out that the
website says its free.

I know there are several books out there that document the Cisco IP
Services for around $50. Might be worth it.

-Chris

Jeff Rhys-Jones

P.S. Just if anyone is interested, we're running our office on full
VoIP - meaning that all calls, incoming and outgoing come through our
T1.

Firewall : Ingate 1400 SIP Firewall

Servers:

Snom4S Soft Switch
Snom4S Media Server

(These are running great on a Sun Cobalt 550)

Hard Phones :

Snom100 phones
Snom200 phones
Cisco 7940 (more on the way!

SoftPhones :

Xten
Pingtel
MSN Messenger (Can send IMs to the Snom 100s with this!)

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff Rhys-Jones

I emailed Cisco, and they told me that I had to register as a guest (sign up here)

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/dev_su...roduct_support

To get the SDK.

So now I have it!

Cheers,