Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Asterisk VoIP

Asterisk VoIP

Jacobo Jajati

Hello All

Im posting this question needing real info on the asterisk VoIP PBX.

Before i post the questions i woudl like to inform that my company is
based in mexcio and that we are a 3com Silver Partner (only 37 of us
in mexico) and have installed 40 NBX system with around 1000 phones in
the last 10 months so we are prity familiar vith VoIP, its
implementation does and donts. So here go the questions

1.- i would like to know what end user equipment is compatible with
the asterisk PBX (Please do not informe on cisco IP Phones we can not
get these in mexico unless cisco lets you once your certified, what
ever.....)
2.- i would like to know what hardware is compatible with the PBX on
the server side (in mexico ISDN is not a public switchable technologie
so this info is not requiered, also ouir digital interfaces are E1 and
our analoge interfeces are PSTN loopstart.
3.- i would like to know whats the real hardware requierments to have
the PBX running at full blast with 40 users not the asterisk website
"minimum" requierments

Im not realy interested in doing to much doing yourselfing, also if
anybody has real knowledge of the asterisk PBX there is a business
oportiunity involved

Thanks

JJG

P.S. you you post let me know to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) im realy
interested

Chaz

"Jacobo Jajati" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello All
>
> Im posting this question needing real info on the asterisk VoIP PBX.
>
> Before i post the questions i woudl like to inform that my company is
> based in mexcio and that we are a 3com Silver Partner (only 37 of us
> in mexico) and have installed 40 NBX system with around 1000 phones in
> the last 10 months so we are prity familiar vith VoIP, its
> implementation does and donts. So here go the questions
>
> 1.- i would like to know what end user equipment is compatible with
> the asterisk PBX (Please do not informe on cisco IP Phones we can not
> get these in mexico unless cisco lets you once your certified, what
> ever.....)
> 2.- i would like to know what hardware is compatible with the PBX on
> the server side (in mexico ISDN is not a public switchable technologie
> so this info is not requiered, also ouir digital interfaces are E1 and
> our analoge interfeces are PSTN loopstart.
> 3.- i would like to know whats the real hardware requierments to have
> the PBX running at full blast with 40 users not the asterisk website
> "minimum" requierments
>
> Im not realy interested in doing to much doing yourselfing, also if
> anybody has real knowledge of the asterisk PBX there is a business
> oportiunity involved
>
> Thanks
>
> JJG
>
> P.S. you you post let me know to (E-Mail Removed) im realy
> interested

I would like to add another small question, does Asterisk support IPv6? I am
looking to implement ip telephony, but ipv6 is a requirement.

Regards,

Chris

Jeremy McNamara

"Jacobo Jajati" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>1.- i would like to know what end user equipment is compatible with
>>the asterisk PBX (Please do not informe on cisco IP Phones we can not
>>get these in mexico unless cisco lets you once your certified, what
>>ever.....)

We have used SNOM, GrandStream, Pingtel and of course Cisco phones and
if it doesn't currently work it can be made to work, which is the
ultimate beauty of open-source.

I don't understand why Cisco would not want to sell their hardware in
any specific country...just takes a bunch of peso's

>>2.- i would like to know what hardware is compatible with the PBX on
>>the server side (in mexico ISDN is not a public switchable technologie
>>so this info is not requiered, also ouir digital interfaces are E1 and
>>our analoge interfeces are PSTN loopstart.

Asterisk can do T-1, E-1, FXO, FXS and E&M signaling types. I have
personally worked with a couple different customers in Mexico, they
haven't ever complained, so things must be going well.

>>3.- i would like to know whats the real hardware requirements to have
>>the PBX running at full blast with 40 users not the asterisk website
>>"minimum" requirements

Asterisk's minimum requirements are simply a pentium based processor.
Depending on exactly how you make those 40 users happen your
requirements will drasticly change.

I've ran 2 T-1's on a 300 mhz machine, but I used a channel bank
and a PRI from the local crook...er i mean ILEC.

Now, that same 300mhz machine would only be able to process ~maybe~ 10
G.729 channels, so the requirements are very specific to the
application. This is exactly why you do not see any hardware
requirements listed anywhere.

>>Im not realy interested in doing to much doing yourselfing, also if
>>anybody has real knowledge of the asterisk PBX there is a business
>>oportiunity involved

You don't have to do anything yourself, if you don't want. There are
more than a few companies out there doing Asterisk related training,
support and/or complete hand holding.

Chaz wrote:
> I would like to add another small question, does Asterisk support IPv6? I am
> looking to implement ip telephony, but ipv6 is a requirement.

It has been a long time since I really thought about the OSI model, but
I believe the application layer could care less what the underlying
transport layer is doing. So, I believe Asterisk shouldn't have any
problem with IPv6. I will look into this further and report back here
if I find anything different.

Jeremy McNanmara, President
The NuFone Network