Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Re: need help with configuring Cisco ATA 186

Re: need help with configuring Cisco ATA 186

Miguel Cruz

Bulent Cakir <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm trying to connect 2 offices in different cities just using ATA186s. I
> was able to set them up in local network, and made calls to each other, but
> I don't know how to set them to use outside the local network. Can anyone
> help me with this?

As long as they have publicly routable IP addresses and your firewalls
aren't getting in the way, there shouldn't be any difference.

miguel

chris@nospam.com

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:58:26 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

>Bulent Cakir <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm trying to connect 2 offices in different cities just using ATA186s. I
>> was able to set them up in local network, and made calls to each other, but
>> I don't know how to set them to use outside the local network. Can anyone
>> help me with this?

>As long as they have publicly routable IP addresses and your firewalls
>aren't getting in the way, there shouldn't be any difference.

Are you talking about more than one unit? If you only have two,
simply set the gateway entries on both units to point to the other.

If you have more than one unit, you can either setup a gatekeeper and
use that as a gateway, or dial using the IP addresses (ie
123*123*123*123).

-Chris

chris@nospam.com

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:05:52 -0400, "Bulent Cakir" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The problem is these ATA 186 s are behind firewalls. So what should I do
>Chris?

I don't have much experience with running these through firewalls or
NAT. I know solutions have been discussed in this group before .
Perhaps a search on groups.google.com will be more helpful.

-Chris

Andrew Zhilenko

Hello!

Bulent Cakir wrote:

> The problem is these ATA 186 s are behind firewalls. So what should I do
> Chris?

Your ATAs will not be able to talk directly to each other then. You will
need either:
- set up your firewall to pass H323 traffic
- or use some third entity (H323 proxy or SIP server) which will
facilitate to establish the connection between them

WBR, Andrew
--
Andrew Zhilenko
Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,