Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Re: Polycom Soundpoint 500 and Peer-toPeer???

Re: Polycom Soundpoint 500 and Peer-toPeer???

SPD

Dear Aaron:

In my experience the 500 out-of-the-box speaks H.323. I haven't
worked with the H.323 software on these phones. Instead I got
our Polycom rep to provide the SIP firmware. Just place the
firmware on a tftp server (I think ftp is supported too), edit the
config file for the phone then download it. You should be on your
way after that.

-Steve

Aaron McCall wrote:

>I have a client who has purchased two of the above phones. He was
>under the impression that he could throw these phones on a LAN give
>them an IP address and he would be able to communicate between the
>two. Unfortunately that's not the case. These phones do not come with
>any software (application) to run them. Third party software/hardware
>is required to get these phones working. So I guess my question is,
>what would be the easiest way to get these phones to communicate to
>each other? I need something simple and cost effective. The client
>wants nothing more then to have these two phones communicating to each
>other.
>Thanks,
>Aaron.

Isaac

We're talking about the IP-500 not the IP-600 right? I thought only the
600 and up supported sip. I could not find any link on the site to
download a sip image for the 500's.

SPD wrote:

> Dear Aaron:
>
> In my experience the 500 out-of-the-box speaks H.323. I haven't
> worked with the H.323 software on these phones. Instead I got
> our Polycom rep to provide the SIP firmware. Just place the
> firmware on a tftp server (I think ftp is supported too), edit the
> config file for the phone then download it. You should be on your
> way after that.
>
> -Steve
>
> Aaron McCall wrote:
>
>> I have a client who has purchased two of the above phones. He was
>> under the impression that he could throw these phones on a LAN give
>> them an IP address and he would be able to communicate between the
>> two. Unfortunately that's not the case. These phones do not come with
>> any software (application) to run them. Third party software/hardware
>> is required to get these phones working. So I guess my question is,
>> what would be the easiest way to get these phones to communicate to
>> each other? I need something simple and cost effective. The client
>> wants nothing more then to have these two phones communicating to each
>> other.
>> Thanks,
>> Aaron.

-=-peas-=-

> > Aaron McCall wrote:
> >
> >> I have a client who has purchased two of the above phones. He was
> >> under the impression that he could throw these phones on a LAN give
> >> them an IP address and he would be able to communicate between the
> >> two. Unfortunately that's not the case. These phones do not come with
> >> any software (application) to run them. Third party software/hardware
> >> is required to get these phones working. So I guess my question is,
> >> what would be the easiest way to get these phones to communicate to
> >> each other? I need something simple and cost effective. The client
> >> wants nothing more then to have these two phones communicating to each
> >> other.

AFAIK there are two images for these phones, one supports SIP and the other
supports H.323. Again AFAIK there is no such thing as peer-to-peer in SIP,
you need to go through a SIP registry. You best bet is to see whether the
phones will take a H.323 image which would therefore allow peer-to-peer
(point to point) calls.

> >> Thanks,
> >> Aaron.

-=-peas-=-