Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java applet problem

Java applet problem

BillW

I have had a problem with Java since upgrading one of our computers from
Windows ME to XP. Java applets won't run. I have uninstalled and
reinstalled Java, checked all the settings according to message posts as
well as information I could gather on the internet. We have another PC that
was XP from the beginning and Java applets run okay on it. I sync'd all
Explorer settings between the 2 computers making all settings equal to the
computer on which Java runs and I still have the problem.

I stopped trying to resolve this a few months ago and assumed that if there
was anything we wanted to look at that required Java, we would just use the
computer that does run Java. Now there is something I would like to run on
the java impaired computer that needs Java. I am asking one more time if
anyone has an idea of how I might get Java running. My daughter has 2
computers almost identical to ours and her ME to XP computer will not run
Java either. Java ran fine under ME but not now since the XP upgrade that
occurred over a year ago.

As an example, 2 sites that will not run are Broadband Reports and Pogo.
When running speed test on Broadband Reports, I get the little box with an
"x" in it when the site attempts to display the start test button. When
trying to start a game on Pogo, it just tells me that Java will not run on
my computer. The Sun Java site test tells me that Java is installed
correctly on my computer and offers the little game as a test. The game
will play, but that's the extent of my success with Java.

Add/Remove Programs has an entry for J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6.
When I open the Java entry in the Control Panel, "About" shows 2 Platform
Standard Edition from Sun. The problem computer is a Dell Pentium 3 running
XP SP2 will all updates current.

Thank you for your help.

Mickey Segal

Do you see a purple rectangle under the words "Java configuration
information" on www.segal.org/java/config/ ? If so, what does it say? If
not, what does it say for navigator.javaEnabled under "JavaScript
configuration information"?

"BillW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I have had a problem with Java since upgrading one of our computers from
>Windows ME to XP. Java applets won't run.

Bill W

Mickey,

Thank you very much for your help with this problem. I do not see a purple
rectangle under "Java configuration information." A line a text states
"Your browser is not set to run Java applets."

The following are the lines of text under "JavaScript configuration
information"

navigator.appName = Microsoft Internet Explorer
navigator.appVersion = 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET
CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
navigator.userAgent = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
navigator.vendorSub = undefined
navigator.javaEnabled() = true
navigator.platform = Win32
navigator.vendor = undefined

Thank you again for your help.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you see a purple rectangle under the words "Java configuration
> information" on www.segal.org/java/config/ ? If so, what does it say? If
> not, what does it say for navigator.javaEnabled under "JavaScript
> configuration information"?
>
> "BillW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>I have had a problem with Java since upgrading one of our computers from
>>Windows ME to XP. Java applets won't run.

Mickey Segal

If you have gone to Add / Remove and removed Java and then re-installed Java
it sounds like the problem is some browser setting or something that got
corrupted. If this happened on several computes it sounds more like a
settings problem. I don't have any instant ideas; maybe someone else does.

About a year of two ago there was a buggy Microsoft Java removal tool that
disabled all Java, not just Microsoft Java. The tool was pulled very quickly
so very few computers were affected.

"Bill W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Mickey,
>
> Thank you very much for your help with this problem. I do not see a
> purple rectangle under "Java configuration information." A line a text
> states "Your browser is not set to run Java applets."
>
> The following are the lines of text under "JavaScript configuration
> information"
>
> navigator.appName = Microsoft Internet Explorer
> navigator.appVersion = 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1;
> .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
> navigator.userAgent = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
> SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
> navigator.vendorSub = undefined
> navigator.javaEnabled() = true
> navigator.platform = Win32
> navigator.vendor = undefined

Mickey Segal

Some other things to check:

1. In "Internet Options" "Advanced" tab, Java (Sun) heading, make sure that
"Use JRE ..." is checkmarked.
2. In "Internet Options" "Security" tab after clicking "Custom Level" find
"Scripting of
Java Applets" and made sure the "Enable" button is selected.
3. In "Tools" "Manage Add-Ons" find "Sun Java Console" and make sure it is
enabled.

You may need to restart the browser for some settings to take effect.

"Mickey Segal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have gone to Add / Remove and removed Java and then re-installed
> Java it sounds like the problem is some browser setting or something that
> got corrupted. If this happened on several computes it sounds more like a
> settings problem. I don't have any instant ideas; maybe someone else
> does.

BillW

Mickey,

Thank you again for your help. I looked at all settings and they were
already set as you indicated.

"Mickey Segal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some other things to check:
>
> 1. In "Internet Options" "Advanced" tab, Java (Sun) heading, make sure
> that "Use JRE ..." is checkmarked.
> 2. In "Internet Options" "Security" tab after clicking "Custom Level"
> find "Scripting of
> Java Applets" and made sure the "Enable" button is selected.
> 3. In "Tools" "Manage Add-Ons" find "Sun Java Console" and make sure it
> is enabled.
>
> You may need to restart the browser for some settings to take effect.
>

> "Mickey Segal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you have gone to Add / Remove and removed Java and then re-installed
>> Java it sounds like the problem is some browser setting or something that
>> got corrupted. If this happened on several computes it sounds more like a
>> settings problem. I don't have any instant ideas; maybe someone else
>> does.

Mickey Segal

Keep us posted if you figure this out. It would be good to help others in
the same rut.

"BillW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mickey,
>
> Thank you again for your help. I looked at all settings and they were
> already set as you indicated.

BillW

I have one more question. I mentioned that we have 2 computers running XP
here at the house. One runs Java without a problem. The one that runs Java
has an entry in IE Advanced options for Microsoft VM and the computer that
will not run Java does not have the entry. Both have an entry for Sun Java.
Could this be part of the problem? If so, can I or should I download and
install Microsoft VM? If I should, where can I get it? Thanks again for
your help.

"Mickey Segal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Keep us posted if you figure this out. It would be good to help others in
> the same rut.
>
> "BillW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mickey,
>>
>> Thank you again for your help. I looked at all settings and they were
>> already set as you indicated.

Mickey Segal

It is getting harder to find the MS JVM but this looks like a reliable
download site:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/javavm.html

Do you think anyone might have used the ill-fated Microsoft Java removal
tool on the affected computers? That could explain your problem, but it is
unlikely because it was out for a very short time and was pulled before many
people were affected.

"BillW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have one more question. I mentioned that we have 2 computers running XP
>here at the house. One runs Java without a problem. The one that runs
>Java has an entry in IE Advanced options for Microsoft VM and the computer
>that will not run Java does not have the entry. Both have an entry for Sun
>Java. Could this be part of the problem? If so, can I or should I download
>and install Microsoft VM? If I should, where can I get it? Thanks again
>for your help.

Bill W

I don't think so. I'll try loading MS JVM and let you know what happens.
Thanks again.