Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Need freeware or low cost HTML editor

Need freeware or low cost HTML editor

Bill

I need a free (preferably) or low cost HTML editor to do a small
(probably 10 pages) site. Any recommendations?

Important features:

SSI and CSS support
The ability to handler larger projects in the future.
A product that is widely used and well supported.

If this is not the most appropriate newsgroup for this question please
let me know where I should post. Thanks.

--
..Bill.

Blinky the Shark

Bill wrote:

> I need a free (preferably) or low cost HTML editor to do a small
> (probably 10 pages) site. Any recommendations?
>
> Important features:
>
> SSI and CSS support
> The ability to handler larger projects in the future.
> A product that is widely used and well supported.

vim would fit your requirements quite nicely, Bill.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Paul Watt

news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net...
> Bill wrote:
>
>> I need a free (preferably) or low cost HTML editor to do a small
>> (probably 10 pages) site. Any recommendations?
>>
>> Important features:
>>
>> SSI and CSS support
>> The ability to handler larger projects in the future.
>> A product that is widely used and well supported.

> vim would fit your requirements quite nicely, Bill.

How about Nvu?

Paul

Bill

Paul Watt wrote:

> How about Nvu?

Thanks. I'll take a look.

--
..Bill.

Bill

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> vim would fit your requirements quite nicely, Bill.

Actually, I was hopping for something a bit more WYSIWYG. Based on my
past experience with vim it would be easier to use Notepad.<g>

--
..Bill.

Blinky the Shark

Bill wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> vim would fit your requirements quite nicely, Bill.

> Actually, I was hopping for something a bit more WYSIWYG. Based on my

That was not mentioned.

> past experience with vim it would be easier to use Notepad.<g>

And you get syntax highlighting in Notepad how?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> vouchsafed:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> vim would fit your requirements quite nicely, Bill.

> Actually, I was hopping for something a bit more WYSIWYG. Based on my
> past experience with vim it would be easier to use Notepad.<g>

....Which is better than any WYSIWYG editor out there.

I never could see the fascination with WYSIWYG editors. I do all my html
creation and editing in Notetab Pro. When I make a change, I simply reload
the page in the browser of my choice (-mainly Firefox or SeaMonkey), and
view the results. If I really want to be kewl, I can size the windows so
both fit in the viewport without concealing on another (-but I've never
found that necessary.)

So why use a WYSIWYG editor which _definitely_ has inferior html rendering
capabilities and most likely even inferior text-editing capabilities? -
Just for the "convenience" of an instant response to a markup alteration?
No thanks, I'll do it my way, and my way is really the preferred way
overall, to boot.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

Bill

Neredbojias wrote:

> So why use a WYSIWYG editor which definitely has inferior html
> rendering capabilities and most likely even inferior text-editing
> capabilities?

If, like my self, you do very little HTML work an editor that does not
require you to remember or look up all of the HTML syntax can save a
lot of time. For someone who is fluent a text editory may be a better
solution. To each his/her own.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

--
..Bill.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> vouchsafed:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>
>> So why use a WYSIWYG editor which definitely has inferior html
>> rendering capabilities and most likely even inferior text-editing
>> capabilities?

> If, like my self, you do very little HTML work an editor that does not
> require you to remember or look up all of the HTML syntax can save a
> lot of time. For someone who is fluent a text editory may be a better
> solution. To each his/her own.

Hmm, yes. I've heard that before, but it is a fallacy. I understand
that not everybody needs or wants to learn html to a degree proficient
enough to use it, but your confidence in these type editors presumes
that you expect them to produce adequate markup in general. They don't,
so how will having an error-filled page save you time? The real way to
save time is to learn at least the basics of html which, btw, isn't
exactly rocket science. I realize the casual programmer may not
remember every bit of syntax required, but many non-WYSIWYG editors have
tabs or clipboards with various information about tags, elements, and
their uses.

I'm not trying to start of flamewar here or show any disrespect, but I
sincerely believe all WYSIWYGs are parasitic to the cause of making a
functional, robust, desirable page.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

Xplanes

news:jYP4g.291$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neredbojias wrote:
>
>> So why use a WYSIWYG editor which definitely has inferior html
>> rendering capabilities and most likely even inferior text-editing
>> capabilities?

> If, like my self, you do very little HTML work an editor that does not
> require you to remember or look up all of the HTML syntax can save a
> lot of time. For someone who is fluent a text editory may be a better
> solution. To each his/her own.
>
> Thanks again for the suggestions.
>
> --
> .Bill.

Go to www.evrsoft.com and try 1st page 2000. it's free, it has syntax
highlighting, a built in browser to see your changes, but it isn't what I
would call WYSIWYG. It has a tab that shows the syntax for when you forget,
but the editing is in the code, not drag and drop code blocks. It has a
nice "replace" feature too. I've been using it for years and credit it for
learning html on my own.

Lou