Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE has pi$$ed me off!

IE has pi$$ed me off!

freemont

Ok. Sorry this has to be my first foray into this group, but I've had
a little to drink and there it is. I will paste something that I just
emailed to my graphics person:

<rant>
So I got some code going for the drop-down menus, that was css-based,
and therefore avoided javascript. It worked fine. (I run Linux here, and
code everything by hand.) I use Opera as my main browser, so I was
looking at the page as I coded it using Opera, Firefox, and also the
built-in preview of the editor. I looked at the page also with Netscape,
Evolution, Konqueror, and Lynx(!). Everything was cool.

So I booted into Windows tonight to play a game, and I looked at the
page with Internet Explorer... and the drop-downs don't work. (Can you
confirm this? When you hover over the first two menu items, a drop-down
should appear.)

I was livid... I was so furious! It makes me reaffirm my curse on
Microsoft, Internet Explorer, and every other lousy, useless piece of
software they've ever produced. I HATE that company's software!! Hate,
hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE it!

Now it seems I'm going to have to incorporate javascript menus after
all, because dumbutt IE won't parse my css correctly, and everybody on
Planet Earth uses Winblows, and Winblows comes with IE.
</rant>

The only reason I'm putting this here, other than to get my disgust off my
chest, is to ask this august group:

Is there any possible "IE hack" that will make my menus work?

Here's the template:
<http://freemontsoffice.com/gilbert/index.htm>

I know that it looks like crap- it's just a layout.

Thanks for your time-

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, freemont <(E-Mail Removed)>
vouchsafed:

> So I got some code going for the drop-down menus, that was css-based,
> and therefore avoided javascript. It worked fine. (I run Linux here,
> and code everything by hand.) I use Opera as my main browser, so I was
> looking at the page as I coded it using Opera, Firefox, and also the
> built-in preview of the editor. I looked at the page also with
> Netscape, Evolution, Konqueror, and Lynx(!). Everything was cool.
>
> So I booted into Windows tonight to play a game, and I looked at the
> page with Internet Explorer... and the drop-downs don't work. (Can you
> confirm this? When you hover over the first two menu items, a
> drop-down should appear.)

> Is there any possible "IE hack" that will make my menus work?
>
> Here's the template:
> <http://freemontsoffice.com/gilbert/index.htm>

IE6 only does hover on links, so if you can "hack" your menu up as links
and style them...

Alternately, you could use something like php to serve an IE version of the
page to IE6 and below (-or possibly conditional comments, but I wouldn't
attack that can of worms, myself. [-In this case.])

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

Jonathan N. Little

freemont wrote:
<snip rant>

> Is there any possible "IE hack" that will make my menus work?
>
> Here's the template:
> <http://freemontsoffice.com/gilbert/index.htm>
>
> I know that it looks like crap- it's just a layout.
>
> Thanks for your time-

IE will only supports :hover pseudo-class on 'A' elements with href
attributes, .i.e., links. You have one of 3 choices that I can think of.

1) Use MS's conditional CSS doohickeys and for IE make you list static.
not pretty but IE uses can use your links.

2) Make IE CSS classes and use JavaScript to attach hover events to swap
classes to simulate the CSS pseudo-class on your elements Like
SuckerFish menus

3) use MS's proprietary HTC file to attach events to elements to do the
class swap simulate the CSS pseudo-class

http://www.vladdy.net/Demos/CSSNav.html

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Leonard Blaisdell

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there any possible "IE hack" that will make my menus work?

I have no idea.

> Here's the template:
> <http://freemontsoffice.com/gilbert/index.htm>

The dropdowns function on Safari, Firefox, iCab, Opera and Camino on the
Mac. Just to add to your list

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Toby Inkster

http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/
http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suck...downs/example/

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

freemont

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:24:10 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> freemont wrote:
> <snip rant>
>>
>> Is there any possible "IE hack" that will make my menus work?
>>
>> Here's the template:
>> <http://freemontsoffice.com/gilbert/index.htm>
>>
>> I know that it looks like crap- it's just a layout.
>>
>> Thanks for your time-
>>

> IE will only supports :hover pseudo-class on 'A' elements with href
> attributes, .i.e., links.

Sort of same thing Neredbojias said- you mean once I actually make them
into links, they'll work? Sheesh. God I detest that "browser".

Well, I've a wedding to go to so rebooting into that other OS to test it
can wait. In the meantime I made links out of the main navigation if
anyone should want to confirm it made a difference.

Thanks to you (and Neredbojias).

--

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:44:56 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is there any possible "IE hack" that will make my menus work?

> I have no idea.
>
>> Here's the template:
>> <http://freemontsoffice.com/gilbert/index.htm>

> The dropdowns function on Safari, Firefox, iCab, Opera and Camino on the
> Mac. Just to add to your list
>
> leo

Go ahead. Rub my nose in it, wiseguy!

--

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:49:41 +0100, Toby Inkster wrote:

> freemont wrote:
>
>> Is there any possible "IE hack" that will make my menus work?

> http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/
> http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suck...downs/example/

Toby, sir, you da Man. Thank you for these apropos links.

Was browsing your site the other day and enjoyed it very much. I'm going
to play around with steg-encode one of these days. The files are here on
my desktop, waiting patiently for me.