Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Adobe Reader 5 vs 6

Adobe Reader 5 vs 6

LAH

For a long time I've had Adobe Acrobat 5 (updates current) and all works
fine except more and more frequently when opening a pdf file I get the
message that a newer version of Adobe is available and everything may not
open correctly. So, I downloaded Adobe Reader 6 and all updates except the
Yahoo Toolbar. I have a slow dial up so it took me forrrrrrrreverrrrrrrrr.
I have Windows 98 SE so this is the latest version available to me. It
works OK but seems to open much more slowly than v5. I have half a mind to
uninstall v6 and go back to v5. I've read the info on Adobe's website but
please help me sift through all the BS. What would I really be missing - in
plain English, please? Guess I could change the file association back to
v5 and only use v6 if I thought it necessary. Any thoughts?

Spider

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:38:41 -0400, LAH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For a long time I've had Adobe Acrobat 5 (updates current) and all works
> fine except more and more frequently when opening a pdf file I get the
> message that a newer version of Adobe is available and everything may not
> open correctly. So, I downloaded Adobe Reader 6 and all updates except
> the
> Yahoo Toolbar. I have a slow dial up so it took me
> forrrrrrrreverrrrrrrrr.
> I have Windows 98 SE so this is the latest version available to me. It
> works OK but seems to open much more slowly than v5. I have half a mind
> uninstall v6 and go back to v5. I've read the info on Adobe's website
> but
> please help me sift through all the BS. What would I really be missing
> - in
> plain English, please? Guess I could change the file association back
> v5 and only use v6 if I thought it necessary. Any thoughts?

Move the plugins from the plugin folder to another folder. Read about it
here:

http://sastools.com/b2/post/79394202

--
Spider
http://spider1.blogspot.com/

Deano

LAH wrote:
> For a long time I've had Adobe Acrobat 5 (updates current) and all
> works fine except more and more frequently when opening a pdf file I
> get the message that a newer version of Adobe is available and
> everything may not open correctly. So, I downloaded Adobe Reader 6
> and all updates except the Yahoo Toolbar. I have a slow dial up so
> it took me forrrrrrrreverrrrrrrrr. I have Windows 98 SE so this is
> the latest version available to me. It works OK but seems to open
> much more slowly than v5. I have half a mind to uninstall v6 and go
> back to v5. I've read the info on Adobe's website but please help me
> sift through all the BS. What would I really be missing - in plain
> English, please? Guess I could change the file association back to
> v5 and only use v6 if I thought it necessary. Any thoughts?

If you want something more lightweight to read PDFs try FoxIt Reader;

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Plato

LAH wrote:

> For a long time I've had Adobe Acrobat 5 (updates current) and all works
> fine except more and more frequently when opening a pdf file I get the
> message that a newer version of Adobe is available and everything may not

Well, same here. I try to use the oldest version of adobe pdf reader
that I can get away with. Seems when I put in a newer version on this ol
win98se pc it bugs me.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

kenny

Version 6 was bad beyond imagination...
However 7 is fast....
I tried 5 again and saw that 7 is faster when you open and close the program
frequently

Get the lastest here:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader...5_enu_full.exe

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/7x/7.0.5/enu/

Also there is a program that let you disable the plugins in order to make
acrobat load faster.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-...-SpeedUp.shtml

( I have not tried it though)

kenny www.computerboom.com

HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
"LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AVA6f.42737$(E-Mail Removed)01.us.to .verio.net...
> For a long time I've had Adobe Acrobat 5 (updates current) and all works
> fine except more and more frequently when opening a pdf file I get the
> message that a newer version of Adobe is available and everything may not
> open correctly. So, I downloaded Adobe Reader 6 and all updates except
> the
> Yahoo Toolbar. I have a slow dial up so it took me
> forrrrrrrreverrrrrrrrr.
> I have Windows 98 SE so this is the latest version available to me. It
> works OK but seems to open much more slowly than v5. I have half a mind
> uninstall v6 and go back to v5. I've read the info on Adobe's website but
> please help me sift through all the BS. What would I really be missing -
> in
> plain English, please? Guess I could change the file association back to
> v5 and only use v6 if I thought it necessary. Any thoughts?

kenny

Sorry, my mistake, I just saw that version 7 is only for win2k and up!

However the program I sent you that removes the plug ins works with 6.

here is some more info on how to remove the plug ins manualy

http://www.sb-cg.com/news.asp?strPageRequest=acrobat

HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...