Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Going from jpg to text?

Going from jpg to text?

Flycaster

A friend just emailed me a form to fill out. However, she sent it in
jpg, text and a lot of graphics. To me the graphics are pretty but
unnecessary. Furthermore, to get the filled in form back to her, I
would have to print it out and then mail it to her. So, the questions
are: (1) Is there any way for me to transform the jpg to text (don't
care what happens to the graphics, just need the text), so that I can
email the form back to her. (2) Is there any way for her to email her
form to me so that I simply fill it in and then email it back to her?
Thanks.
--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Trax

Flycaster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>A friend just emailed me a form to fill out. However, she sent it in
|>jpg, text and a lot of graphics. To me the graphics are pretty but
|>unnecessary. Furthermore, to get the filled in form back to her, I
|>would have to print it out and then mail it to her. So, the questions
|>are: (1) Is there any way for me to transform the jpg to text (don't
|>care what happens to the graphics, just need the text), so that I can
|>email the form back to her.

Anything you do will be very time consuming.

Most will suggest on OCR program, but you could make the JPG a
watermark in Word or Open Office, and fill in the form that way.

|> (2) Is there any way for her to email her
|> form to me so that I simply fill it in and then email it back to her?

On the chance this isn't a unique form, google a key line from the
form and see if something exist in a text format.

--
Damn cool illusion
http://www.patmedia.net/marklevinson..._illusion.html

Flycaster

Trax wrote:
> Flycaster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>A friend just emailed me a form to fill out. However, she sent it in
> |>jpg, text and a lot of graphics. To me the graphics are pretty but
> |>unnecessary. Furthermore, to get the filled in form back to her, I
> |>would have to print it out and then mail it to her. So, the questions
> |>are: (1) Is there any way for me to transform the jpg to text (don't
> |>care what happens to the graphics, just need the text), so that I can
> |>email the form back to her.
>
> Anything you do will be very time consuming.
>
> Most will suggest on OCR program, but you could make the JPG a
> watermark in Word or Open Office, and fill in the form that way.
>
> |> (2) Is there any way for her to email her
> |> form to me so that I simply fill it in and then email it back to her?
>
> On the chance this isn't a unique form, google a key line from the
> form and see if something exist in a text format.

Thanks, but I think I figured out how to do it. Opened the form (jpg)
in photoshop and used PS's text tool. Appears to have worked very
nicely. This way I can email the image back to her and she can print it
out.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Toolman Tim

Trax wrote:
> Flycaster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> A friend just emailed me a form to fill out. However, she sent it
>>> in jpg, text and a lot of graphics. To me the graphics are pretty
>>> but unnecessary. Furthermore, to get the filled in form back to
>>> her, I would have to print it out and then mail it to her. So, the
>>> questions are: (1) Is there any way for me to transform the jpg to
>>> text (don't care what happens to the graphics, just need the text),
>>> so that I can email the form back to her.

> Anything you do will be very time consuming.
>
> Most will suggest on OCR program, but you could make the JPG a
> watermark in Word or Open Office, and fill in the form that way.
>
>>> (2) Is there any way for her to email her
>>> form to me so that I simply fill it in and then email it back to
>>> her?

> On the chance this isn't a unique form, google a key line from the
> form and see if something exist in a text format.

Hey - checked the illusion refered to in your sig...absolutely astounding!

<quote>
Damn cool illusion
http://www.patmedia.net/marklevinson..._illusion.html
</quote>

like an idiot.

Toolman Tim

Trax wrote:
> Flycaster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> A friend just emailed me a form to fill out. However, she sent it
>>> in jpg, text and a lot of graphics. To me the graphics are pretty
>>> but unnecessary. Furthermore, to get the filled in form back to
>>> her, I would have to print it out and then mail it to her. So, the
>>> questions are: (1) Is there any way for me to transform the jpg to
>>> text (don't care what happens to the graphics, just need the text),
>>> so that I can email the form back to her.

> Anything you do will be very time consuming.
>
> Most will suggest on OCR program, but you could make the JPG a
> watermark in Word or Open Office, and fill in the form that way.

Or in most any word processors, put the jpg on the page, then create a frame
over it to type into (kinda like layers in Photoshop).

I've often done this in Photoshop - open the JPG, click the text tool, set
text size, click on the JPG above the line I need to fill out. Other
paint/photo editor programs should allow similar abilities.

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Hey - checked the illusion refered to in your sig...absolutely astounding!

|><quote>
|>Damn cool illusion
|>http://www.patmedia.net/marklevinson..._illusion.html
|></quote>

Have you noticed it's a GIF file? Makes it very portable.

--
http://www.crazyhamzters.com/flash/cunningstunt.html

Flycaster

Trax wrote:
> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>Hey - checked the illusion refered to in your sig...absolutely astounding!
>
> |><quote>
> |>Damn cool illusion
> |>http://www.patmedia.net/marklevinson..._illusion.html
> |></quote>
>
> Have you noticed it's a GIF file? Makes it very portable.

Not GIF.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Flycaster

Toolman Tim wrote:
> Trax wrote:

>>Anything you do will be very time consuming.
>>
>>Most will suggest on OCR program, but you could make the JPG a
>>watermark in Word or Open Office, and fill in the form that way.

> Or in most any word processors, put the jpg on the page, then create a frame
> over it to type into (kinda like layers in Photoshop).
>
> I've often done this in Photoshop - open the JPG, click the text tool, set
> text size, click on the JPG above the line I need to fill out. Other
> paint/photo editor programs should allow similar abilities.

>>On the chance this isn't a unique form, google a key line from the
>>form and see if something exist in a text format.

As you can see from my post above, I did figure out how to use PS. But,
could you give me some direction as to how to do the frame thing in Word?

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Toolman Tim

Flycaster wrote:
> Trax wrote:

>> Have you noticed it's a GIF file? Makes it very portable.
>>

> Not GIF.

Errr....yeah. GIF. Yup. Definately a GIF.

like an idiot.

Toolman Tim

Flycaster wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> Trax wrote:

>>> Anything you do will be very time consuming.
>>>
>>> Most will suggest on OCR program, but you could make the JPG a
>>> watermark in Word or Open Office, and fill in the form that way.

>> Or in most any word processors, put the jpg on the page, then create
>> a frame over it to type into (kinda like layers in Photoshop).
>>
>> I've often done this in Photoshop - open the JPG, click the text
>> tool, set text size, click on the JPG above the line I need to fill
>> out. Other paint/photo editor programs should allow similar
>> abilities.
>>>
>>> On the chance this isn't a unique form, google a key line from the
>>> form and see if something exist in a text format.

> As you can see from my post above, I did figure out how to use PS. But,
> could you give me some direction as to how to do the frame thing
> in Word?

Sure. First, get the JPG on your document in the size/location you want it.
Easy - I bet you did that already. Next, you want to add a text box. (I
still call them frames from when I used Pagemaker.) Click Insert, Picture,
Autoshapes. It should add a new toolbar at the bottom (starts with "Draw".)
Click the rectangle, drag and draw the rectangle over your area where you
want to add text. It's probably white - change that by right-clicking and
select "Format autoshape". Transparency is set there, lines, background
color, etc. Close the Format dialog, rightclick again, and select "add
text".

like an idiot.