Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell Wireless PC Card?

Dell Wireless PC Card?

Wanda Rayfield

I have just received my new Dell notebook and inside was a box with a "Dell
Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g PC Card What does this do? Also in the box
is a CD "Drivers and Utilities" and a booklet "Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN PC
Card Quick Start Guide".

Next question: Is it possible to connect two computers, one notebook and one
desk top, in one house? I have DSL for my desk top. And is one printer able
to connect to both computers. If so, do I have to pull out the tower each
time I need to disconnect or connect for the use of the printer on one or
the other computer. Thanks, Wanda

BOB_7732

I will try to answer the first one, wireless modems is like say you are
using the laptop & want to connect to the Internet from say riding in a car
or bus or being where there is no phone jack.

Bob

Hope this helps

"Wanda Rayfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Knf6f.1266$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just received my new Dell notebook and inside was a box with a

"Dell
> Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g PC Card What does this do? Also in the

box
> is a CD "Drivers and Utilities" and a booklet "Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN PC
> Card Quick Start Guide".
>
> Next question: Is it possible to connect two computers, one notebook and

one
> desk top, in one house? I have DSL for my desk top. And is one printer

able
> to connect to both computers. If so, do I have to pull out the tower each
> time I need to disconnect or connect for the use of the printer on one or
> the other computer. Thanks, Wanda

Wanda Rayfield

Then, I just put this card into the notebook and I can go on line while
riding in my car? Sorry to be so simple minded, but this is a mystery to me.
Wanda
"BOB_7732" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7Mf6f.165495$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will try to answer the first one, wireless modems is like say you are
> using the laptop & want to connect to the Internet from say riding in a
> car
> or bus or being where there is no phone jack.
>
> Bob
>
> Hope this helps
>

> "Wanda Rayfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Knf6f.1266$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have just received my new Dell notebook and inside was a box with a

> "Dell
>> Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g PC Card What does this do? Also in the

> box
>> is a CD "Drivers and Utilities" and a booklet "Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN PC
>> Card Quick Start Guide".
>>
>> Next question: Is it possible to connect two computers, one notebook and

> one
>> desk top, in one house? I have DSL for my desk top. And is one printer

> able
>> to connect to both computers. If so, do I have to pull out the tower each
>> time I need to disconnect or connect for the use of the printer on one or
>> the other computer. Thanks, Wanda

James

"Wanda Rayfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Knf6f.1266$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just received my new Dell notebook and inside was a box with a
>"Dell Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g PC Card What does this do? Also in
>the box is a CD "Drivers and Utilities" and a booklet "Dell Wireless 1350
>WLAN PC Card Quick Start Guide".
>
> Next question: Is it possible to connect two computers, one notebook and
> one desk top, in one house? I have DSL for my desk top. And is one printer
> able to connect to both computers. If so, do I have to pull out the tower
> each time I need to disconnect or connect for the use of the printer on
> one or the other computer. Thanks, Wanda

The card you have is a wireless network card. It is basically a device to
link two or more computers together on a network without the need for a
physical cable running between them. The 'card quick start guide' would
seem to be basic instructions on how to set it up and the cd would be the
drivers for the computer to recognise the device.

You can connect the two computers, if you dont have wireless networking on
the desktop pc, you will have to connect them 'wired' i.e. running a cable
between the two computers.

You can use the printer on both computers, searching for "file and printer
sharing" should give you some ideas on how to set it up. Unless you have a
dedicated printer server or a router that a printer can connect to then you
will have to have the pc the printer is connected to switched on when you
want to print from the other computer. It is possible to share the internet
connection as well in the same manner. (This is where a router is useful
because it allows either pc to use the internet without the main pc with the
moden in being switched on).

Toolman Tim

No. You probably won't get online randomly running around in your car. You
need to be near an access point ("hot spot"). Many hotels and such offer
wireless connections for guests. Most Internet Cafes have wireless. Some
truckstops do too. If you have broadband ISP connection in your home, you
can add an access point (usually a wireless router) and be online without
connecting with a wire. Many offices have wireless connections for their
intranet and Internet, so the laptop users can connect anywhere without
having to plug it in.

Wanda Rayfield wrote:
> Then, I just put this card into the notebook and I can go on line
> while riding in my car? Sorry to be so simple minded, but this is a
> mystery to me. Wanda
> "BOB_7732" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7Mf6f.165495$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I will try to answer the first one, wireless modems is like say you
>> are using the laptop & want to connect to the Internet from say
>> riding in a car
>> or bus or being where there is no phone jack.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>

>> "Wanda Rayfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Knf6f.1266$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have just received my new Dell notebook and inside was a box
>>> with a "Dell Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g PC Card What does
>>> this do? Also in the box is a CD "Drivers and Utilities" and a
>>> booklet "Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN PC Card Quick Start Guide".
>>>
>>> Next question: Is it possible to connect two computers, one
>>> notebook and one desk top, in one house? I have DSL for my desk
>>> top. And is one printer able to connect to both computers. If so,
>>> do I have to pull out the tower each time I need to disconnect or
>>> connect for the use of the printer on one or the other computer.
>>> Thanks, Wanda

like an idiot.

phrogee

"Wanda Rayfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Knf6f.1266$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just received my new Dell notebook and inside was a box with a
>"Dell Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g PC Card What does this do? Also in
>the box is a CD "Drivers and Utilities" and a booklet "Dell Wireless 1350
>WLAN PC Card Quick Start Guide".
>
> Next question: Is it possible to connect two computers, one notebook and
> one desk top, in one house? I have DSL for my desk top. And is one printer
> able to connect to both computers. If so, do I have to pull out the tower
> each time I need to disconnect or connect for the use of the printer on
> one or the other computer. Thanks, Wanda

The "Drivers and Utilities" program will contain all the drivers for all the
programs factory installed. It may also include some "optional" programs
which may not be loaded. The "utilities" part may contain diagnostics
programs which need not be loaded unless you're having trouble with the PC's
operation.

--
phrogee