Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is cable length relevent?

Is cable length relevent?

Jodie

Going to network two pc's together with standard Ethernet cable and a hub.
Is the length of cable between the pc's significant?
.... For example will there be any difference in speed etc between using a
total cable length of 10 metres and 6 metres?
Cheers.

Goonerak

> Going to network two pc's together with standard Ethernet cable and a hub.
> Is the length of cable between the pc's significant?
> ... For example will there be any difference in speed etc between using a
> total cable length of 10 metres and 6 metres?
> Cheers.

There will be no difference in speed between the two cables. Ethernet is
designed to connect two PCs up to 100 metres from the hub/switch.

Plato

Jodie wrote:

> Going to network two pc's together with standard Ethernet cable and a hub.
> Is the length of cable between the pc's significant?
> ... For example will there be any difference in speed etc between using a
> total cable length of 10 metres and 6 metres?

No difference between 6 and 10 meters.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

spiker22

Jodie wrote:
> Going to network two pc's together with standard Ethernet cable and a hub.
> Is the length of cable between the pc's significant?
> ... For example will there be any difference in speed etc between using a
> total cable length of 10 metres and 6 metres?
> Cheers.

NO

why?

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:58:00 +0100, Jodie wrote:

>Going to network two pc's together with standard Ethernet cable and a hub.
>Is the length of cable between the pc's significant?

Yes,

>... For example will there be any difference in speed etc between using a
>total cable length of 10 metres and 6 metres?

not until you are heading over 90m for Cat6 and 99m for Cat5(e) and
pushing it at full speed and you have other issues.

Me

Stickems.

To be pedantic, there is a small difference, but it is very small.

"Jodie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:djbh81$te8$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Going to network two pc's together with standard Ethernet cable and a hub.
| Is the length of cable between the pc's significant?
| ... For example will there be any difference in speed etc between using a
| total cable length of 10 metres and 6 metres?
| Cheers.

why?

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:13:06 GMT, Stickems. wrote:

>To be pedantic, there is a small difference, but it is very small.

This small . <--- ?

>"Jodie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:djbh81$te8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>| Going to network two pc's together with standard Ethernet cable and a hub.
>| Is the length of cable between the pc's significant?
>| ... For example will there be any difference in speed etc between using a
>| total cable length of 10 metres and 6 metres?

Me

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Stickems. wrote:
> To be pedantic, there is a small difference, but it is very small.

I'd read about someone else doing it, so thought I would too. Crimped on
a RJ45 at each end of a 1,000 foot spool of cat5 and tried to network.
Worked fine, probably was limited to 10Mbs, that was still faster than
the internet connection I was testing it on. But that 300' or 100 meter
limit is mostly theoretical, not a brick wall.

Jodie

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stickems. wrote:
>> To be pedantic, there is a small difference, but it is very small.

> I'd read about someone else doing it, so thought I would too. Crimped on a
> RJ45 at each end of a 1,000 foot spool of cat5 and tried to network.
> Worked fine, probably was limited to 10Mbs, that was still faster than the
> internet connection I was testing it on. But that 300' or 100 meter limit
> is mostly theoretical, not a brick wall.

------
Ok. TVM. Jodie

.

I've had occasion to go beyond 300' a time or two and saw speed drop
but no appreciable loss or degredation of data. If you want to insure
that speed and data remain constant then make your run about 200 to
250 feet into a switch, then come from that switch into your device,
or into another switch then out again if you need to go longer yet.

The switches don't need to be expensive rigs either. Most any 5-porter
(e.g. Linksys, D-link, etc.) that you can get for around $20.00 will
do the trick.