Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > new hard disk on old, old pc

new hard disk on old, old pc

Deano

After my mate's pc reported a STOP error the other day we managed to get it
working again after applying some Spinrite.
That perked him up no end but there was the small matter of the existing
20GB Quantum Fireball drive's reliability. The same day, before Spinrite
got him out of jail, I told him to get a new hard disk just in case.

Today we decided to upgrade, the plain being to clone the existing
installation onto the new one. Of course being an old pc I wasn't surprised
to see a limit of 137GB being reported for the new slave.
What has startled me is that the presence of the new disk prevents the old
disk from booting Windows. I kept getting something like "Floppy disk
error, put disk in Drive A" or something similar. On another occasion it
said "missing operating system". As soon as the slave is disconnected the
old disk works fine and boots Windows.

I updated Windows 2000 to SP4 but really it looks like some BIOS problem.
The newest BIOS I can find is dated 2001 and doesn't say whether it would
enable large disk support. I'm loath to flash the BIOS if I don't have to,
his pc does work and I don't want to kill it on the offchance it all goes
wrong.

He's fine with the 137GB limit so I would like to get both working together.
I would then run Acronis Migrate Easy which has worked for me before, and
get a full transfer of his existing system onto the new disk.

If I can't then I will try booting with the new drive as master and see if
the old disk will work as a slave (maybe I could take my own image and
restore that...)

Any thoughts, suggestions? Pretty please, I felt I lost an entire evening
for nothing (:

thanks
Martin

clot

Deano wrote:
> After my mate's pc reported a STOP error the other day we managed to
> get it working again after applying some Spinrite.
> That perked him up no end but there was the small matter of the
> existing 20GB Quantum Fireball drive's reliability. The same day,
> before Spinrite got him out of jail, I told him to get a new hard
> disk just in case.
>
> Today we decided to upgrade, the plain being to clone the existing
> installation onto the new one. Of course being an old pc I wasn't
> surprised to see a limit of 137GB being reported for the new slave.
> What has startled me is that the presence of the new disk prevents
> the old disk from booting Windows. I kept getting something like
> "Floppy disk error, put disk in Drive A" or something similar. On
> another occasion it said "missing operating system". As soon as the
> slave is disconnected the old disk works fine and boots Windows.
>
> I updated Windows 2000 to SP4 but really it looks like some BIOS
> problem. The newest BIOS I can find is dated 2001 and doesn't say
> whether it would enable large disk support. I'm loath to flash the
> BIOS if I don't have to, his pc does work and I don't want to kill it
> on the offchance it all goes wrong.
>
> He's fine with the 137GB limit so I would like to get both working
> together. I would then run Acronis Migrate Easy which has worked for
> me before, and get a full transfer of his existing system onto the
> new disk.
>
> If I can't then I will try booting with the new drive as master and
> see if the old disk will work as a slave (maybe I could take my own
> image and restore that...)
>
> Any thoughts, suggestions? Pretty please, I felt I lost an entire
> evening for nothing (:
>
> thanks
> Martin

BIOS/ Connection Ribbon positions/ Slave/ Master?

Deano

clot wrote:
> Deano wrote:
>> After my mate's pc reported a STOP error the other day we managed to
>> get it working again after applying some Spinrite.
>> That perked him up no end but there was the small matter of the
>> existing 20GB Quantum Fireball drive's reliability. The same day,
>> before Spinrite got him out of jail, I told him to get a new hard
>> disk just in case.
>>
>> Today we decided to upgrade, the plain being to clone the existing
>> installation onto the new one. Of course being an old pc I wasn't
>> surprised to see a limit of 137GB being reported for the new slave.
>> What has startled me is that the presence of the new disk prevents
>> the old disk from booting Windows. I kept getting something like
>> "Floppy disk error, put disk in Drive A" or something similar. On
>> another occasion it said "missing operating system". As soon as the
>> slave is disconnected the old disk works fine and boots Windows.
>>
>> I updated Windows 2000 to SP4 but really it looks like some BIOS
>> problem. The newest BIOS I can find is dated 2001 and doesn't say
>> whether it would enable large disk support. I'm loath to flash the
>> BIOS if I don't have to, his pc does work and I don't want to kill it
>> on the offchance it all goes wrong.
>>
>> He's fine with the 137GB limit so I would like to get both working
>> together. I would then run Acronis Migrate Easy which has worked for
>> me before, and get a full transfer of his existing system onto the
>> new disk.
>>
>> If I can't then I will try booting with the new drive as master and
>> see if the old disk will work as a slave (maybe I could take my own
>> image and restore that...)
>>
>> Any thoughts, suggestions? Pretty please, I felt I lost an entire
>> evening for nothing (:
>>
>> thanks
>> Martin

> BIOS/ Connection Ribbon positions/ Slave/ Master?

Yeah I had a play around with that, made no difference. One thing I forgot
was that the primary disk had some garbage in it's name on the boot up
screen which made me worry that I'd killed the drive. As I say the new
slave reported in ok at 137GB. The one thing I didn't have time to do was
boot the new disk as the primary and see what happened. It's a 200GB drive
but only I'm anal enough ti care, he certainly doesn't.

hummerdog

"Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:435824f9$0$6517$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After my mate's pc reported a STOP error the other day we managed to get

it
> working again after applying some Spinrite.
> That perked him up no end but there was the small matter of the existing
> 20GB Quantum Fireball drive's reliability. The same day, before Spinrite
> got him out of jail, I told him to get a new hard disk just in case.
>
> Today we decided to upgrade, the plain being to clone the existing
> installation onto the new one. Of course being an old pc I wasn't

surprised
> to see a limit of 137GB being reported for the new slave.
> What has startled me is that the presence of the new disk prevents the old
> disk from booting Windows. I kept getting something like "Floppy disk
> error, put disk in Drive A" or something similar. On another occasion it
> said "missing operating system". As soon as the slave is disconnected the
> old disk works fine and boots Windows.
>
> I updated Windows 2000 to SP4 but really it looks like some BIOS problem.
> The newest BIOS I can find is dated 2001 and doesn't say whether it would
> enable large disk support. I'm loath to flash the BIOS if I don't have

to,
> his pc does work and I don't want to kill it on the offchance it all goes
> wrong.
>
> He's fine with the 137GB limit so I would like to get both working

together.
> I would then run Acronis Migrate Easy which has worked for me before, and
> get a full transfer of his existing system onto the new disk.
>
> If I can't then I will try booting with the new drive as master and see if
> the old disk will work as a slave (maybe I could take my own image and
> restore that...)
>
> Any thoughts, suggestions? Pretty please, I felt I lost an entire evening
> for nothing (:
>
> thanks
> Martin

Partition new drive into two @100. Install it on second IDE cable.
bw..OJ

Deano

hummerdog wrote:

> Partition new drive into two @100. Install it on second IDE cable.
> bw..OJ

Hmmm. That *sounds* clever. Is it? Does the pc only have a problem if the
disk is one big partition exceeding 137GB? I might give that a go, dunno if
it will allow the old disk to boot though.

Pat

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:16:39 +0100, "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>hummerdog wrote:
>>>

>> Partition new drive into two @100. Install it on second IDE cable.
>> bw..OJ

>Hmmm. That *sounds* clever. Is it? Does the pc only have a problem if the
>disk is one big partition exceeding 137GB? I might give that a go, dunno if
>it will allow the old disk to boot though.

Partition size isn't the issue, the total size is. Google "48bitLBA" and
read about it.

--
Pat