Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless Network with 30 clients

Reply
Thread Tools

Wireless Network with 30 clients

 
 
brendacchio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
Hello all,

I am running a small wireless network (30 users) at my school and it
seems that my D-Link 624 Wireless Router just can't cut it anymore. I
am getting about 5-10 outages a day when the lab fills up. I am
thinking I need to upgrade to a more powerful router. I tried to take
an old PC, install FreeBSD (failed!) and Ubuntu (failed!), and get it
to do NAT and Masquerading but I wasn't able to figure it out and I
don't have the time to do all of the research. Perhaps Suse would be
a viable option?

Does anyone know how I can use this old computer as a simple router and
hook up an access point? What about the Apple Airport Extreme? Should
that be able to handle the load? What's a good high-powered router
that I can find in the 500 range? The students do not do anything
out of the ordinary besides downloading and uploading photos and
printing.

Thanks in advance.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005

"brendacchio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Hello all,

I am running a small wireless network (30 users) at my school and it
seems that my D-Link 624 Wireless Router just can't cut it anymore. I
am getting about 5-10 outages a day when the lab fills up. I am
thinking I need to upgrade to a more powerful router. I tried to take
an old PC, install FreeBSD (failed!) and Ubuntu (failed!), and get it
to do NAT and Masquerading but I wasn't able to figure it out and I
don't have the time to do all of the research. Perhaps Suse would be
a viable option?

Does anyone know how I can use this old computer as a simple router and
hook up an access point? What about the Apple Airport Extreme? Should
that be able to handle the load? What's a good high-powered router
that I can find in the ?500 range? The students do not do anything
out of the ordinary besides downloading and uploading photos and
printing.

Thanks in advance.

Try Smoothwall free from http://www.smoothwall.org/ runs on anything from a
486 upwards (pentium with at lease 128mb RAM better though - with 30 users a
PII might be better.)

Easy to set up and use. Just connect to an access point and away you go.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Yves Leclerc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
Look at adding "access" points to the router. It seems that the built-in
wireless access point can not handle the amount of individual requests.

Also, please note that most wireless networks devices are not "secured" out
of the box.


"brendacchio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Hello all,

I am running a small wireless network (30 users) at my school and it
seems that my D-Link 624 Wireless Router just can't cut it anymore. I
am getting about 5-10 outages a day when the lab fills up. I am
thinking I need to upgrade to a more powerful router. I tried to take
an old PC, install FreeBSD (failed!) and Ubuntu (failed!), and get it
to do NAT and Masquerading but I wasn't able to figure it out and I
don't have the time to do all of the research. Perhaps Suse would be
a viable option?

Does anyone know how I can use this old computer as a simple router and
hook up an access point? What about the Apple Airport Extreme? Should
that be able to handle the load? What's a good high-powered router
that I can find in the ?500 range? The students do not do anything
out of the ordinary besides downloading and uploading photos and
printing.

Thanks in advance.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2005
On 20 Oct 2005 07:51:21 -0700, "brendacchio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello all,


4 newsgroups? I just love to participate large cross postings.

>I am running a small wireless network (30 users) at my school and it
>seems that my D-Link 624 Wireless Router just can't cut it anymore.


How can you tell? Have you measured the reouter thruput? Have you
sniffed the traffic between the unspecified broadband connection and
the DI-624? Do you have *ANY* idea what's moving on your network?

>I am getting about 5-10 outages a day when the lab fills up.


Outages or spectacular slowdowns? There's a big difference.

My rule of thumb for wireless loading is:
100 light web and email users.
10 business type users.
1 file sharing user or worm infected computer.
How many *ACTIVE* laptops are running? Are you sure there aren't any
users that you don't know about such as students in the parking lot or
nearby neighbors? Have you looked at the log files or syslog? Do you
have

>I am
>thinking I need to upgrade to a more powerful router.


Powerful? Is the processor overloaded? Got any numbers as to how
many bytes/sec is going in each direction? Is your unspecified
broadband connection shared with other users or wireless contrivances
in the skool? Are they hogging the bandwidth?

>I tried to take
>an old PC, install FreeBSD (failed!) and Ubuntu (failed!), and get it
>to do NAT and Masquerading but I wasn't able to figure it out and I
>don't have the time to do all of the research. Perhaps Suse would be
>a viable option?


That's a little like polishing the chrome to make the car go better.
Perhaps you had better take a close look at what's moving on your
network, who's on your network, what's causing the slowdown, and
what's buried in the log files, before you tilt at windmills.

>Does anyone know how I can use this old computer as a simple router and
>hook up an access point?


If you insist, I use Freesco.
http://www.freesco.org

>What about the Apple Airport Extreme? Should
>that be able to handle the load? What's a good high-powered router
>that I can find in the 500 range? The students do not do anything
>out of the ordinary besides downloading and uploading photos and
>printing.


Incidentally, the DI-624 can do about 35Mbits/sec TCP thruput LAN to
WAN connection. If your unspecified broadband connection is that
fast, you might consider a different router. Meanwhile, Yves Leclerc
has the right idea. Go shopping for 2 more access points (or routers
configured as access points).

--
Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
831.336.2558 voice
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
brendacchio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2005

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2005 07:51:21 -0700, "brendacchio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hello all,

>
> 4 newsgroups? I just love to participate large cross postings.


Just trying to be nice, that's all...

>
> >I am running a small wireless network (30 users) at my school and it
> >seems that my D-Link 624 Wireless Router just can't cut it anymore.

>
> How can you tell? Have you measured the reouter thruput? Have you
> sniffed the traffic between the unspecified broadband connection and
> the DI-624? Do you have *ANY* idea what's moving on your network?
>


I've checked the logs and nobody seems to be doing anything out of the
ordinary. I'm in Italy and my internet connection is pretty basic.
Testing it now I've got 300! The most significant strains seem to be
when the students upload/download their dig photos to sites such as
snapfish and ofoto.

> >I am getting about 5-10 outages a day when the lab fills up.

>
> Outages or spectacular slowdowns? There's a big difference.


Outages. The router locks up and has to be restarted.
>
> My rule of thumb for wireless loading is:
> 100 light web and email users.
> 10 business type users.
> 1 file sharing user or worm infected computer.
> How many *ACTIVE* laptops are running? Are you sure there aren't any
> users that you don't know about such as students in the parking lot or
> nearby neighbors? Have you looked at the log files or syslog? Do you
> have


No, we share the building with elderly priests and there is no
indication that they are stealing our connection. It's password
protected.

>
> >I am
> >thinking I need to upgrade to a more powerful router.

>
> Powerful? Is the processor overloaded? Got any numbers as to how
> many bytes/sec is going in each direction? Is your unspecified
> broadband connection shared with other users or wireless contrivances
> in the skool? Are they hogging the bandwidth?


I turned off the log because the Dlink support site says that it may be
hogging the router's resources.

>
> >I tried to take
> >an old PC, install FreeBSD (failed!) and Ubuntu (failed!), and get it
> >to do NAT and Masquerading but I wasn't able to figure it out and I
> >don't have the time to do all of the research. Perhaps Suse would be
> >a viable option?

>
> That's a little like polishing the chrome to make the car go better.
> Perhaps you had better take a close look at what's moving on your
> network, who's on your network, what's causing the slowdown, and
> what's buried in the log files, before you tilt at windmills.
>
> >Does anyone know how I can use this old computer as a simple router and
> >hook up an access point?

>
> If you insist, I use Freesco.
> http://www.freesco.org
>
> >What about the Apple Airport Extreme? Should
> >that be able to handle the load? What's a good high-powered router
> >that I can find in the 500 range? The students do not do anything
> >out of the ordinary besides downloading and uploading photos and
> >printing.

>
> Incidentally, the DI-624 can do about 35Mbits/sec TCP thruput LAN to
> WAN connection. If your unspecified broadband connection is that
> fast, you might consider a different router. Meanwhile, Yves Leclerc
> has the right idea. Go shopping for 2 more access points (or routers
> configured as access points).


Thanks!

>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
> 831.336.2558 voice
> http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
> http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann
> (E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us (E-Mail Removed)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2005
On 21 Oct 2005 01:33:45 -0700, "brendacchio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >I am getting about 5-10 outages a day when the lab fills up.

>>
>> Outages or spectacular slowdowns? There's a big difference.


>Outages. The router locks up and has to be restarted.


Holdit. That's a total failure and should not happen. I've
staturated the RF bandwidth of my assorted routers in various
benchmark tests and only the defective routers lockup. Searching
Google for "DI-624 overheats", I find that your lockup problem is
apparently not uncommon.
http://dslreports.org/shownews/46612
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11973289
This may be of interest:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11716779

I don't think it's the quantity of traffic that's causing the hangs.
300kbit/sec is really slow. A faster router will not help if you're
using this particular DI-624 router as an access point, and will
probably produce identical lockups. I suggest borrowing a differnt
router or a later model DI-624 and trying a substitution.

--
Jeff Liebermann (E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2005
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:29:01 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>>Outages. The router locks up and has to be restarted.


>Holdit. That's a total failure and should not happen. I've
>staturated the RF bandwidth of my assorted routers in various
>benchmark tests and only the defective routers lockup. Searching
>Google for "DI-624 overheats", I find that your lockup problem is
>apparently not uncommon.


Here's one person that had to add a fan on their WGT-624. I drilled
the case of a DI-604 rev B1 into Swiss cheeze to improve cooling.
These are different model but you might be the same problem.

Also, for another PC based router replacement, see:
http://www.ipcop.org
I just started playing with it and it looks really nice. Documentation
also available in Italian.

--
Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
831.336.2558 voice
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann
(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us (E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2005
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:17:07 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
<(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>Here's one person that had to add a fan on their WGT-624. I drilled
>the case of a DI-604 rev B1 into Swiss cheeze to improve cooling.
>These are different model but you might be the same problem.


Oops. I forgot to include the URL.
http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=4435

--
Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
831.336.2558 voice
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann
(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us (E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting more wireless clients to E585 Wireless Router GerryD Wireless Networking 0 06-23-2012 02:13 PM
Wireless Network Wizard and scripting updates to wireless network. Jordan Wireless Networking 1 11-03-2007 02:16 PM
deploy wireless network settings to clients Seth Wireless Networking 0 09-18-2007 07:41 AM
Authentication for web clients and Swing clients Francesco Java 1 12-27-2006 03:10 AM
Deleting a "Wireless network" created with the wireless network wi =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?= Wireless Networking 2 02-03-2006 11:18 AM



Advertisments