Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is the Advantages And Disadvantages of Norton Antivirus

What is the Advantages And Disadvantages of Norton Antivirus

lotrza@gmail.com

Can Anyone point out what the advantages and disvantages of Norton
Antivirus and AVG Antivirus

PC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Can Anyone point out what the advantages and disvantages of Norton
> Antivirus and AVG Antivirus

Norton:
Reputedly one of the most capable Anti Virus.
Practically one of the most bloated dead weights you can put on a PC.
(means if your PC is more than a year or two old, Norton will just 'kill'
it)

AVG
Price is right
Performs 'competently' provided you keep it up to date
Not so resource hungry (see Norton comment)

Both programs generate strong opinions, which one to use depends on the
circumstances
e.g.
Newer PC in a Corporate environment, use Norton because it keeps your ass
from being kicked (well I did use the 'best' available)
Older PC at home, use AVG and keep it up to date & save the money for an
upgrade of your hardware.

Others will propound Kaspery, AntiVir, PC Cillin, McAfee, ....... etc etc.
The most thorough way to decide is to download some 'demo' versions and see
how you like them.

Cheers
Paul.

kenny

I advise you stay away from all norton products that were created "in
house".
There are a few that they aquired from other companies that are good, for
example
partition magic and GOBACK.... but Norton Antivirus?
Bloatware and bugware and problematic beyond imagination!

Keep away! You have been warned.

Want a good free solution? www.avast.com home free edition.
This is better than AVG (for now because AVG has been bought by Intel, and I
am awaiting to see how that goes)

Kenny www.computerboom.com

HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Can Anyone point out what the advantages and disvantages of Norton
> Antivirus and AVG Antivirus

Om_Audio

The best by far is Nod32- on all fronts it is superb- try it

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Can Anyone point out what the advantages and disvantages of Norton
> Antivirus and AVG Antivirus

Sarah

"kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43577566$(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
>I advise you stay away from all norton products that were created "in
>house".
> There are a few that they aquired from other companies that are good, for
> example
> partition magic and GOBACK.... but Norton Antivirus?
> Bloatware and bugware and problematic beyond imagination!
>
> Keep away! You have been warned.
>
> Want a good free solution? www.avast.com home free edition.
> This is better than AVG (for now because AVG has been bought by Intel, and
> I am awaiting to see how that goes)
>

> Kenny www.computerboom.com

> HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
> Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Can Anyone point out what the advantages and disvantages of Norton
>> Antivirus and AVG Antivirus

My NAV 12 month subscription just ran out & I haven't renewed it for all the
same reasons. I'm trialing Kaspersky & so far it seems to be a whole lot
better.

Pat

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:20:16 +0930, "Sarah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My NAV 12 month subscription just ran out & I haven't renewed it for all the
>same reasons. I'm trialing Kaspersky & so far it seems to be a whole lot
>better.

Any problems removing NAV?

--
Pat

kenny

Norton has a removal tool somewhere on there site that cleans up the
mess....

can you imagine? They have an uninstall option but it always leaves trash on
the pc.

HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:20:16 +0930, "Sarah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>the
>>same reasons. I'm trialing Kaspersky & so far it seems to be a whole lot
>>better.

> Any problems removing NAV?
>
> --
> Pat

Jim Byrd

Hi Pat - Yes, typically a lot. Go here for the most comprehensive
instructions I'm aware of: http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:20:16 +0930, "Sarah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> My NAV 12 month subscription just ran out & I haven't renewed it for all

the
>> same reasons. I'm trialing Kaspersky & so far it seems to be a whole lot
>> better.

> Any problems removing NAV?

Jim Byrd

Hi Lotrza - My experience - Norton/Symantec commercial stuff is very good,
as are their specific removal tools and the virus/malware information
including manual removal instructions available on their site. However,
their consumer/home user stuff is notorious for interfering with other
software, particularly installs, and particularly OS software. This appears
to be due to the fact that it insinuates itself (apparently very poorly)
into a large number of places within your system. For this reason, it is
also very difficult to completely remove and can still cause problems after
apparently normal Add-Remove uninstall attempts. (See here:
http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm if you ever need to completely and
correctly unistall it.) FWIW, this is the first question I ask my clients -
Do you have any Norton/Symantec software installed or have you recently
tried to remove any? (The second is whether they've recently used a
Registry Cleaner. )

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> Can Anyone point out what the advantages and disvantages of Norton
> Antivirus and AVG Antivirus

Dennis Turner

On 10/20/2005 3:58 AM or thereabouts, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

> Can Anyone point out what the advantages and disvantages of Norton
> Antivirus and AVG Antivirus

Just to be contrary . . .

Not really, thought you could use another opinion. I have been using
Norton for years now with no problems. Yes, it is rather resource
hungry, but assuming a fairly recent machine that shouldn't be a
problem. I am rather careful, but I have yet to experience a virus
infection, thank you. About 10 years of more of less continuous Norton
use on my various machines. I did purchase one machine that was
preloaded with MacAfee. I didn't care for it at all. I promptly replaced
it with Norton. MacAfee probably works just fine, but I'm just
accustomed to Norton's interface. There is something to be said for
using what you are comfortable with.

Of course, my opinion is worth precisely what you paid for it. I am
notoriously stubborn. I started on the internet with Netscape, adn I
still refuse to use Internet Explorer except under dire emergencies (a
couple of sites I like are viewable only with IE6). I also don't like
the newer Mozilla standalones Firefox and Thunderbird. They work just
fine, but again my stubborn streak asserts itself and demands an
integrated browser/mail/news suite similar to what I've been using for
over 10 years. Just pointing out that, while not averse to (minor)
change, I am VERY stubborn when it comes to the software I use so that
you can judge the merit of my opinion.

--Dennis--

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.