Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > slow computer

slow computer

Chris Turner

Can anyone tell me what I can remove from start up and running in the
background programmes as there are so many I am not sure what I should
disable.
HP Pavillion t770
windows XP

why?

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:45:58 +0100, Chris Turner wrote:

>Can anyone tell me what I can remove from start up and running in the
>background programmes as there are so many I am not sure what I should
>disable.
>HP Pavillion t770
>windows XP

You do see it's difficult to make suggestions, not knowing how your
startup differs from millions of other PCs.

As it's Win XP, first go with
http://www.aumha.org/
http://www.theeldergeek.com/
2 very good XP reference sites.

How to see what is in startup, well if you look in past posts in 24HSHD

Ripped from a Mike post

Microsoft Windows XP - Understanding the Startup Process
https://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...reskit/prmc_st...

Control your startups:
----------------------
StartupList
http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Startup Monitor
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

Startup Control Panel
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Check what's necessary and what isn't
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...tartup_all.php

Ripped from a why? post

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...autoruns.shtml
This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of
auto-starting locations of any startup monitor (A starting list of
auto-run locations was obtained from David Solomon's "Windows Internals"
seminar), shows you what programs are configured to run during system
bootup or login

Ripped from another why? post

First 4 found from a search using www.google.com

http://www.theeldergeek.com/prevent_...at_startup.htm

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_starttrack.htm
This small GUI (Graphical User Interface) utility will check the Start
Menu and the System Registry for items that load at startup. It will
also check for Disabled Startup items and changes to the default "Shell"
value. Support for listing all running Processes and Services has been
added.

http://www.arstechnica.com/tweak/win...-tweaks-1.html

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1074208469
Hi! I have a question that maybe one of you savvy people can answer! I
have WAY too many programs starting up when I start my computer.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...autoruns.shtml

Me