Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can get 10mbit/s networking but not 100mbits.

Can get 10mbit/s networking but not 100mbits.

Sim

I have 2 PC's on a LAN. One of them is a midi tower case a Realtek 8139, the
other is a micro-ATX with an onboard NVidia networking controller. I can
connect both PCs at 10mbit/s half duplex just fine but I cannot connect them
properly at 100mbit/s half duplex. I have even searched
PracticallyNetworked.com and found nothing that relates to this problem.

With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex, so
this rules out any physical problem

At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can I
sort this out?

Sim

Evan Platt

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:08:49 GMT, "Sim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have 2 PC's on a LAN. One of them is a midi tower case a Realtek 8139, the
>other is a micro-ATX with an onboard NVidia networking controller. I can
>connect both PCs at 10mbit/s half duplex just fine but I cannot connect them
>properly at 100mbit/s half duplex. I have even searched
>PracticallyNetworked.com and found nothing that relates to this problem.
>
>With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
>other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex, so
>this rules out any physical problem
>
>At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can I
>sort this out?

Are they connect directly or through a router?

Is it possible the Nvidia is 10 half duplex?

why?

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:08:49 GMT, Sim wrote:

>I have 2 PC's on a LAN. One of them is a midi tower case a Realtek 8139, the
>other is a micro-ATX with an onboard NVidia networking controller. I can
>connect both PCs at 10mbit/s half duplex just fine but I cannot connect them
>properly at 100mbit/s half duplex. I have even searched

You don't want 100Mbps (note uppercase M) half duplex, go fo full duplex
, it's more natural for 100Mbps.

Although 100Mbps/HD is valid, it's an unusual combination and I have
never need to set anything to that.

>PracticallyNetworked.com and found nothing that relates to this problem.
>
>With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
>other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex, so
>this rules out any physical problem

Except maybe some funny Realtek thing (between 2 RT cards, which you
don't have now) , for myself I always didn't care for Realtek 8139 , I
always buy or move my Intel / 3Com cards to new PCs. I did once have
someting later than an 8139 , which I can't remember , and no problems.
Oddly enough Realtek Audio has been fine for my needs.

>At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can I

You have looked at the NIC driver properties and checked it isn't set to
auto detect speed / duplex. Auto doesn't always work so it's better if
possible to specify speed / duplex if possible.

>sort this out?

Explain how the 2 PCs are connected , x-over direct PC-Pc , vis a
repeater , via a switch , on a switch on a ISP connected router?

>Sim

Me

Dan Evans

"Sim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BUQ4f.2582$(E-Mail Removed)...

> With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
> other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex,
> so this rules out any physical problem

Not neccesarily. Try another cable and see what happens.

> At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can
> I sort this out?

Look in the NIC properties in device manager - look on the "advanced tab"
and check the media type. If it's se tto autosense, try forcing "100Mbps
full/half duplex".

Dan

Sim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:08:49 GMT, "Sim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have 2 PC's on a LAN. One of them is a midi tower case a Realtek 8139,
>>the
>>other is a micro-ATX with an onboard NVidia networking controller. I can
>>connect both PCs at 10mbit/s half duplex just fine but I cannot connect
>>them
>>properly at 100mbit/s half duplex. I have even searched
>>PracticallyNetworked.com and found nothing that relates to this problem.
>>
>>With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
>>other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex,
>>so
>>this rules out any physical problem
>>
>>At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can
>>sort this out?

> Are they connect directly or through a router?

Directly

> Is it possible the Nvidia is 10 half duplex?

Its already set to that, and so is the Realtek 8139. But I want 100mbit/s
and can't get it to work on both.

Sim

Sim

> You don't want 100Mbps (note uppercase M) half duplex, go fo full duplex
> , it's more natural for 100Mbps.

I have tried that. Same problem. It still won't connect properly.

Sim

Sim

"Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43541ad1$0$1897$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Sim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BUQ4f.2582$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on
>> the other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half
>> duplex, so this rules out any physical problem

> Not neccesarily. Try another cable and see what happens.

Its a long cable going up from my bedroom to the attic and then down to
another bedroom. It'll be a hard job trying a different cable.

> Look in the NIC properties in device manager - look on the "advanced tab"
> and check the media type. If it's se tto autosense, try forcing "100Mbps
> full/half duplex".

I have tried that and I can't get pings both sides.

why?

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:33:06 GMT, Sim wrote:

>"Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:08:49 GMT, "Sim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have 2 PC's on a LAN. One of them is a midi tower case a Realtek 8139,
>>>the
>>>other is a micro-ATX with an onboard NVidia networking controller. I can
>>>connect both PCs at 10mbit/s half duplex just fine but I cannot connect
>>>them
>>>properly at 100mbit/s half duplex. I have even searched
>>>PracticallyNetworked.com and found nothing that relates to this problem.
>>>
>>>With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
>>>other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex,
>>>so
>>>this rules out any physical problem
>>>
>>>At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can
>>>sort this out?

>> Are they connect directly or through a router?

>Directly

You won't get FD on a cross over, IIRC, having never even of thought of
trying something like that.

>> Is it possible the Nvidia is 10 half duplex?

>Its already set to that, and so is the Realtek 8139. But I want 100mbit/s
>and can't get it to work on both.

You may still have a Realtek - Nvidia issue at the end of it.

As I said 100/HD is a really odd ball.

Another post mentioned the distance between the systems.

I would but a 100Mbps switch, plug 1 PC into it using a patch cable, and
for the other PC on the long cable recrimp the x-over end to a patch.

This way you have

PC --patch cable - switch - long patch cable - PC

>Sim

Me

Sim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:33:06 GMT, Sim wrote:
>

>>"Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Are they connect directly or through a router?

>>Directly

> You won't get FD on a cross over, IIRC, having never even of thought of
> trying something like that.
>
>>> Is it possible the Nvidia is 10 half duplex?

>>Its already set to that, and so is the Realtek 8139. But I want 100mbit/s
>>and can't get it to work on both.

> You may still have a Realtek - Nvidia issue at the end of it.

Probably so.

> As I said 100/HD is a really odd ball.
>
> Another post mentioned the distance between the systems.
>
> I would buy a 100Mbps switch, plug 1 PC into it using a patch cable, and
> for the other PC on the long cable recrimp the x-over end to a patch.
> This way you have
>
> PC --patch cable - switch - long patch cable - PC

I'm not much of a DIY person, and I've never done this before with cables.
However I do have a crossover adapter.

>>Sim
>>

> Me

Richard

"Sim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UJV4f.5877$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43541ad1$0$1897$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >

> > "Sim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:BUQ4f.2582$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >> With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on
> >> the other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half
> >> duplex, so this rules out any physical problem

> > Not neccesarily. Try another cable and see what happens.

> Its a long cable going up from my bedroom to the attic and then down to
> another bedroom. It'll be a hard job trying a different cable.
>
> > Look in the NIC properties in device manager - look on the "advanced

tab"
> > and check the media type. If it's se tto autosense, try forcing "100Mbps
> > full/half duplex".
> >

> I have tried that and I can't get pings both sides.

leave it on auto, much better to troubleshoot. is the cable Cat 5 or
higher? it's usually stated on the writing along the cable, if no writing,
suspect.

are both computers using hte latest versions of drivers?

length of the cable, if it's too long signal is weak, or is the cable going
close to large electronic appliances.