Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 5.25" USB 2.0 Aluminium CD ROM Enclosure -- Platinum

5.25" USB 2.0 Aluminium CD ROM Enclosure -- Platinum

Alasdair Baxter

I purchased the above unit at a computer fair. There is no maker's name
although I suspect that it might be a Syba. The serial number of the unit is
TS 04120057256 and it uses a NEC uPD720130 chipset. Other numbers on the
unit are F-EN5AU2-N1-UK-BC01. I intend to use it with a DVD reader/writer on
a Compaq computer with a Pentium III processor and running Windows 98SE. I
installed a USB2 card.

When I try to install the software, it asks for the file ntmaphlp.pdr but
when I offer that file, the computer blue screens and on reboot, the item
does not show in Windows Explorer. Please, can someone offer some help?
--

Alasdair Baxter,

why?

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:51:15 +0100, Alasdair Baxter wrote:

>I purchased the above unit at a computer fair. There is no maker's name
>although I suspect that it might be a Syba. The serial number of the unit is
>TS 04120057256 and it uses a NEC uPD720130 chipset. Other numbers on the
>unit are F-EN5AU2-N1-UK-BC01. I intend to use it with a DVD reader/writer on

Google can find F-EN5AU2-N1

>a Compaq computer with a Pentium III processor and running Windows 98SE. I
>installed a USB2 card.
>
>When I try to install the software, it asks for the file ntmaphlp.pdr but

This is the software for the USB card giving the error. You mentioned
the case details , but nothing about the card.

Seems to be a common error with 98xx , and 1394 driver installation.
It's not a dual Firewire/USB card is it?

You are going to have to do a bit of searching and look for the files,
see stuff like -
http://www.lurkhere.com/forum/DCForumID12/97_3.html

>when I offer that file, the computer blue screens and on reboot, the item

No details of the BSOD

I don't see a 98SE example http://images.google.com , but you get the
idea, if a driver name that isn't the 1 above is mentioned try and note
the message, usually the 1st few lines.

>does not show in Windows Explorer. Please, can someone offer some help?

Me

Alasdair Baxter

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> This is the software for the USB card giving the error. You mentioned
> the case details , but nothing about the card.
>
> Seems to be a common error with 98xx , and 1394 driver installation.
> It's not a dual Firewire/USB card is it?

The card is a USB 2.0 PCI card with the number "A-6212-4PCI 4-Port Host
Controller card". It claims to be compatible with Microsoft USB drivers
(Windows 95,98,Me,and Mac OS).

--

Alasdair

why?

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 01:35:16 +0100, Alasdair Baxter wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>

>> This is the software for the USB card giving the error. You mentioned
>> the case details , but nothing about the card.
>>
>> Seems to be a common error with 98xx , and 1394 driver installation.
>> It's not a dual Firewire/USB card is it?

>The card is a USB 2.0 PCI card with the number "A-6212-4PCI 4-Port Host
>Controller card". It claims to be compatible with Microsoft USB drivers
>(Windows 95,98,Me,and Mac OS).

that part number listed.
http://www.hh.iij4u.or.jp/~oruca/m_speck.html
and another Japanese site.

Google 3 hits, 1 listing it as

ASONIC A-6212-4PCI
http://www.globalsources.com/si/6008...GetProduct.htm

Time for you to do a bit more searching.

Did you check in the MS newsgroups about USB driver issues?

Try www.google.com
98 asonic usb
and other choice keywords.

Me