Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slow computer -- power supply related?

Slow computer -- power supply related?

PC

"DC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as I do not
> have subject PC in front of me), to try and troubleshoot the following
> problem:
>
> My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure out why.
>
> Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw at times,
> etc.
>
> It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or whistles.
> It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.
>
> It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now) SuSE Linux
> 9.3 Pro.
>
> In an effort to speed it up, I recently upgraded her to 512MB RAM. No
> joy. What I did learn, however, upon opening up the case is that her PC
> only has a *100W* power supply. HP is a cheapass outfit, dontcha know?
>
> So, until I gather more details on her system (tonight), I'd like to
> know if an underpowered system (which, at 100W, I feel that it is) would
> actually appear to run slowly.
>
> I'll get back to the group with more details as I gather them/or as
> requested to help solve this vexing problem.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
>
> Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware -- Pre-order today!
> -= http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx =-

DC

No the 'capacity' of the power supply will not make the PC run slow.
If the powersupply is 'underpowered' the PC will simply not start, or will
tend to be flakey when pushed (playing a CD while defragging and playing a
graphics heavy game at the same time).
BTW those 100W HP power supplies have a reputation of expiring fairly early
in the PC's life cycle and, they are usually custom size (read to small for
a 'normal' power supply) and possibly custom wiring as well.

I think you will find the answer is in your statement:
"It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or whistles.
It has a Celeron 700MHz processor."
In general basic PC's cut back in things like onboard cache, fast hard
drives etc.
Combined with a Celeron which were never more that 'leasurely' in their
performance you have the equivalent of a car with the 'smallest' engine
option.

Continuing the Car analogy; looked at from the other angle the smaller
option usually means smaller wheels/tyres, lighter brakes, and other
'economies' that simply mean the thing just won't go as fast.
Put a bigger fuel tank in it and it'll go furthur (=more Ram) but it won't
go any 'faster'

Cheers
Paul.

valeofbelvoirdrinker

On 16 Oct 2005 18:54:50 GMT, DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as I do not
>have subject PC in front of me), to try and troubleshoot the following
>problem:
>
>My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure out why.
>
>Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw at times,
>etc.
>
>It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or whistles.
>It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.
>
>It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now) SuSE Linux
>9.3 Pro.
>
>In an effort to speed it up, I recently upgraded her to 512MB RAM. No
>joy. What I did learn, however, upon opening up the case is that her PC
>only has a *100W* power supply. HP is a cheapass outfit, dontcha know?
>
>So, until I gather more details on her system (tonight), I'd like to
>know if an underpowered system (which, at 100W, I feel that it is) would
>actually appear to run slowly.
>
>I'll get back to the group with more details as I gather them/or as
>requested to help solve this vexing problem.
>
>Thanks.

Is there a "bloatware" anti-virus program?
My puter slowed right down after an virus update.For years VirusScan
worked unobtrusively in the backgrouns then all at once it slowed
things down to a crawl.

Dan Evans

"valeofbelvoirdrinker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is there a "bloatware" anti-virus program?
> My puter slowed right down after an virus update.For years VirusScan
> worked unobtrusively in the backgrouns then all at once it slowed
> things down to a crawl.

I think this part of the origianl post is pertinant.

>>It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now) SuSE Linux
>>9.3 Pro.

Dan