Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DVD, Scart, phono and an old TV

DVD, Scart, phono and an old TV

Adrian Tupper

Can anyone help with this?

I want to buy a DVD player but they all have SCART
connections and my TV does not.

My TV is rather old but works fine. It doesn't have a
SCART but it does have phonos. 4 in fact. 2 are
for audio-in and video-in, 2 are for audio-out and
video-out.

What would be my best option for connecting the DVD?
I have seen SCART to phono leads but there are a few
different types. Which if any would be compatible?

ie. DVD SCART ------- PHONO TV

I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?

ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV

I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Adrian

Adrian

Adrian Tupper wrote:
> Can anyone help with this?
>
> I want to buy a DVD player but they all have SCART
> connections and my TV does not.
>
> My TV is rather old but works fine. It doesn't have a
> SCART but it does have phonos. 4 in fact. 2 are
> for audio-in and video-in, 2 are for audio-out and
> video-out.
>
> What would be my best option for connecting the DVD?
> I have seen SCART to phono leads but there are a few
> different types. Which if any would be compatible?
>
> ie. DVD SCART ------- PHONO TV
>
> I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
> the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
> from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?
>
> ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV
>
> I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
> be much appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
> Adrian

You should be able to find a SCART to video and audio phono lead, you will
nead to combine the left and right audio. The problem with passing the
output of a DVD player through a VCR is many discs are encoded with
Macrovision, which will make them unwatchable. HTH
--
Adrian A

Dan Evans

"Adrian Tupper" <myname@myisp> wrote in message

> I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
> the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
> from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?

I would say yes, but the DVD copy protection *might* screw up the image as
it comes out of the VCR.

> ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV
>
> I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
> be much appreciated.

Look for SCART/RCA adaptor. You're looking for "SCART in, RCA out" Then
you're going to need an RCA M/M set of 3 cables, and an RCA stereo in, mono
out adaptor.

DAn

Adrian Tupper

"Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:435286b2$0$1897$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Adrian Tupper" <myname@myisp> wrote in message
>
>> I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
>> the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
>> from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?

> I would say yes, but the DVD copy protection *might* screw up the
> image as it comes out of the VCR.
>
>> ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV
>>
>> I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
>> be much appreciated.

> Look for SCART/RCA adaptor. You're looking for "SCART in, RCA out"
> Then you're going to need an RCA M/M set of 3 cables, and an RCA
> stereo in, mono out adaptor.
>
> DAn
>

> .................................................. ..............

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

Thanks for the advice. And to Adrian in the earlier post.
Not sure what I'll try first. I was hoping that there
was an off-the-peg solution.

Adrian

"Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:435286b2$0$1897$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Adrian Tupper" <myname@myisp> wrote in message
>
>> I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
>> the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
>> from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?

> I would say yes, but the DVD copy protection *might* screw up the
> image as it comes out of the VCR.
>
>> ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV
>>
>> I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
>> be much appreciated.

> Look for SCART/RCA adaptor. You're looking for "SCART in, RCA out"
> Then you're going to need an RCA M/M set of 3 cables, and an RCA
> stereo in, mono out adaptor.
>
> DAn
>

> .................................................. ..............

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

I'm now going to ask what could be a very stupid question!!! I've
noticed that DVD recorders have a RF output. Can I simply connect
that to my TV? I mean, is it just an aerial splitter in there
or is a RF modulated DVD output signal available too?

Adrian

Gary

my Philips has only a splitter. NO rf output

This e-mail has been virus checked by Mcafee Virus Scan.
Telephone calls may be recorded for quality assurance and security purposes.
"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:435286b2$0$1897$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> "Adrian Tupper" <myname@myisp> wrote in message
>>
>>> I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
>>> the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
>>> from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?

>> I would say yes, but the DVD copy protection *might* screw up the
>> image as it comes out of the VCR.
>>
>>> ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV
>>>
>>> I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
>>> be much appreciated.

>> Look for SCART/RCA adaptor. You're looking for "SCART in, RCA out"
>> Then you're going to need an RCA M/M set of 3 cables, and an RCA
>> stereo in, mono out adaptor.
>>
>> DAn
>>

>> .................................................. ..............
>> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access

>> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
>>

> I'm now going to ask what could be a very stupid question!!! I've
> noticed that DVD recorders have a RF output. Can I simply connect
> that to my TV? I mean, is it just an aerial splitter in there
> or is a RF modulated DVD output signal available too?
>
> Adrian

Adrian Tupper

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d3A4f.3634$6i4.937
@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net:

> my Philips has only a splitter. NO rf output

Hmmm. That's what I was afraid of. Back to plan A then...

--
Adrian

Gary

"Adrian Tupper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d3A4f.3634$6i4.937
> @newsfe7-gui.ntli.net:
>
>> my Philips has only a splitter. NO rf output
>>

> Hmmm. That's what I was afraid of. Back to plan A then...
>
> --
> Adrian

The scart to Phono is not a complicated idea. it sounds much worse than it
is.

Maplin do a good modulator but it is around 35. however if you have a VCR
around you could rewire the modulator to accept the signal from the DVD
instead of the VCR and it will work even with macrovision. OR get a
macrovision removing lead and the VCR will just work like a little jem and
you will be able to make recordings of DVD's without any protection getting
involved .....ever!!!!!!!

Gary
rewiring is simple. email me for details. remove spam for address

Adrian

A wrote:

> I'm now going to ask what could be a very stupid question!!! I've
> noticed that DVD recorders have a RF output. Can I simply connect
> that to my TV? I mean, is it just an aerial splitter in there
> or is a RF modulated DVD output signal available too?
>
> Adrian

My Panasonic has no RF out, just passthrough.
--
Adrian A

Adrian Tupper

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:CEB4f.4893$(E-Mail Removed):

> The scart to Phono is not a complicated idea. it sounds much worse
> than it is.
>
> Maplin do a good modulator but it is around 35. however if you have a
> VCR around you could rewire the modulator to accept the signal from
> the DVD instead of the VCR and it will work even with macrovision. OR
> get a macrovision removing lead and the VCR will just work like a
> little jem and you will be able to make recordings of DVD's without
> any protection getting involved .....ever!!!!!!!
>
> Gary
> rewiring is simple. email me for details. remove spam for address

I can see how it works now. I also saw a lead in amazon of all places:

It appears to be for audio/video in rather than out but it has the right
plugs. It also appears to cost only 1p! Does anyone know if this lead
would work for me?

I'd rather not rewire my VCR as I still intend to use it. But I would
get all the connection gear mentioned earlier if the lead above is
no use.

Adrian