Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how to flash bios

how to flash bios

Troy Piggins

I'm upgrading a friend's PC - bought an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
and AMD 64 Sempron 3000+ (Socket 754) processor.

On boot it comes up with a BIOS error code 0163. On searching google I
notice that the error is because the BIOS version doesn't recognise the
processor. I went to Asus website, the advice is to update/flash the
BIOS. While I have built plenty of PCs, I've never updated a BIOS.

I downloaded the update (K8vsedx07.zip). In the zip file is just one
file called K8vsedx.007 . No executables. Asus's "How to upgrade your
BIOS?" page does not include instructions for K8V series motherboards,
and there appear to be different tools for different m/b's. I looked
into Asus's FTP directories for that particular m/b and nothing in there
looked relevant either.

So how do I use the above file to update the BIOS?

PS - this new PC (as many new ones are these days) does not have a
floppy drive. Is there a solution that could be done by CD or USB mass
storage device?

--
Troy Piggins
Where I live: 27 27 44 S 153 02 28 E

Toolman Tim

Troy Piggins wrote:
> I'm upgrading a friend's PC - bought an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
> and AMD 64 Sempron 3000+ (Socket 754) processor.
>
> On boot it comes up with a BIOS error code 0163. On searching google
> I notice that the error is because the BIOS version doesn't recognise
> the processor. I went to Asus website, the advice is to update/flash
> the BIOS. While I have built plenty of PCs, I've never updated a
> BIOS.
>
> I downloaded the update (K8vsedx07.zip). In the zip file is just one
> file called K8vsedx.007 . No executables. Asus's "How to upgrade
> your BIOS?" page does not include instructions for K8V series
> motherboards, and there appear to be different tools for different
> m/b's. I looked into Asus's FTP directories for that particular m/b
> and nothing in there looked relevant either.
>
> So how do I use the above file to update the BIOS?
>
> PS - this new PC (as many new ones are these days) does not have a
> floppy drive. Is there a solution that could be done by CD or USB
> mass storage device?

Many of the newer motherboards flash from within Windows. The flash utility
is on the driver CD. If this one doesn't, there may be a flash utility in
BIOS. Check to see if there are docs on the CD with more info.

Troy Piggins

* Toolman Tim wrote:
> Troy Piggins wrote:
>> I'm upgrading a friend's PC - bought an Asus K8V SE Deluxe
>> motherboard and AMD 64 Sempron 3000+ (Socket 754) processor.
>>
>> On boot it comes up with a BIOS error code 0163. On searching google
>> I notice that the error is because the BIOS version doesn't recognise
>> the processor. I went to Asus website, the advice is to update/flash
>> the BIOS. While I have built plenty of PCs, I've never updated a
>> BIOS.
>>
>> I downloaded the update (K8vsedx07.zip). In the zip file is just one
>> file called K8vsedx.007 . No executables. Asus's "How to upgrade
>> your BIOS?" page does not include instructions for K8V series
>> motherboards, and there appear to be different tools for different
>> m/b's. I looked into Asus's FTP directories for that particular m/b
>> and nothing in there looked relevant either.
>>
>> So how do I use the above file to update the BIOS?
>>
>> PS - this new PC (as many new ones are these days) does not have a
>> floppy drive. Is there a solution that could be done by CD or USB
>> mass storage device?

> Many of the newer motherboards flash from within Windows. The flash
> utility is on the driver CD. If this one doesn't, there may be a flash
> utility in BIOS. Check to see if there are docs on the CD with more
> info.

Thanks for the quick response. Problem - I can't get into Win, because
the PC won't boot to install it.

I didn't think of looking on the m/b CD for flash utility - never had to
look for it before :-/

There was a utility there called afudos.exe which apparently does it for
me.

Regarding the no floppy issue, I found on Bart's boot cd site this:

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#clean

which I'll try.

--
Troy Piggins
Where I live: 27 27 44 S 153 02 28 E
http://earth.google.com

PC

"Troy Piggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm upgrading a friend's PC - bought an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
> and AMD 64 Sempron 3000+ (Socket 754) processor.
>
> On boot it comes up with a BIOS error code 0163. On searching google I
> notice that the error is because the BIOS version doesn't recognise the
> processor. I went to Asus website, the advice is to update/flash the
> BIOS. While I have built plenty of PCs, I've never updated a BIOS.
>
> I downloaded the update (K8vsedx07.zip). In the zip file is just one
> file called K8vsedx.007 . No executables. Asus's "How to upgrade your
> BIOS?" page does not include instructions for K8V series motherboards,
> and there appear to be different tools for different m/b's. I looked
> into Asus's FTP directories for that particular m/b and nothing in there
> looked relevant either.
>
> So how do I use the above file to update the BIOS?
>
> PS - this new PC (as many new ones are these days) does not have a
> floppy drive. Is there a solution that could be done by CD or USB mass
> storage device?
>
> --
> Troy Piggins
> Where I live: 27 27 44 S 153 02 28 E
> http://earth.google.com

Troy
In order to update the Bios you are going to 'boot' the mb/cpu combo.
To do that you are going to have to get a CPU that will work with the
present version of the bios.
Yep real chicken or egg situation.
Your only option is to beg/buy one.

Update instructions should be in the motherboard manual.
May require a Floppy drive to do so, just use the floppy & cable out of a
'retired' PC.
Just make sure it's 1.44MB.

Cheers
Paul.

SgtMinor

Troy Piggins wrote:
> I'm upgrading a friend's PC - bought an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
> and AMD 64 Sempron 3000+ (Socket 754) processor.
>
> On boot it comes up with a BIOS error code 0163. On searching google I
> notice that the error is because the BIOS version doesn't recognise the
> processor. I went to Asus website, the advice is to update/flash the
> BIOS. While I have built plenty of PCs, I've never updated a BIOS.
>
> I downloaded the update (K8vsedx07.zip). In the zip file is just one
> file called K8vsedx.007 . No executables. Asus's "How to upgrade your
> BIOS?" page does not include instructions for K8V series motherboards,
> and there appear to be different tools for different m/b's. I looked
> into Asus's FTP directories for that particular m/b and nothing in there
> looked relevant either.
>
> So how do I use the above file to update the BIOS?
>
> PS - this new PC (as many new ones are these days) does not have a
> floppy drive. Is there a solution that could be done by CD or USB mass
> storage device?

You didn't mention hearing any vocal messages on POST; do you have "Post
Reporter" disabled in the BIOS or no speakers plugged in to the on-board
sound? It should say something like "Failed CPU test" or "No CPU
installed" if it doesn't recognize the CPU. And surely this board can
handle the processor you are installing.

I recently put together an ASUS system with an Intel CPU without
problems, but felt that almost any question I might have had was covered
in the manual that came with the (retail) board. The manual has an
entire chapter on BIOS setup.

Troy Piggins

* SgtMinor wrote:
> Troy Piggins wrote:
>> I'm upgrading a friend's PC - bought an Asus K8V SE Deluxe
>> motherboard and AMD 64 Sempron 3000+ (Socket 754) processor.
>>
>> On boot it comes up with a BIOS error code 0163. On searching google
>> I notice that the error is because the BIOS version doesn't recognise
>> the processor. I went to Asus website, the advice is to update/flash
>> the BIOS. While I have built plenty of PCs, I've never updated a
>> BIOS.
>>
>> I downloaded the update (K8vsedx07.zip). In the zip file is just one
>> file called K8vsedx.007 . No executables. Asus's "How to upgrade
>> your BIOS?" page does not include instructions for K8V series
>> motherboards, and there appear to be different tools for different
>> m/b's. I looked into Asus's FTP directories for that particular m/b
>> and nothing in there looked relevant either.
>>
>> So how do I use the above file to update the BIOS?
>>
>> PS - this new PC (as many new ones are these days) does not have a
>> floppy drive. Is there a solution that could be done by CD or USB
>> mass storage device?

> You didn't mention hearing any vocal messages on POST; do you have
> "Post Reporter" disabled in the BIOS or no speakers plugged in to the
> on-board sound? It should say something like "Failed CPU test" or "No
> CPU installed" if it doesn't recognize the CPU. And surely this board
> can handle the processor you are installing.
>
> I recently put together an ASUS system with an Intel CPU without
> problems, but felt that almost any question I might have had was
> covered in the manual that came with the (retail) board. The manual
> has an entire chapter on BIOS setup.

Actually, there were no beeps until the error code I mentioned, and a
message saying press F1 to resume. I had all the BIOS settings at
default.

There was a message where it recognised and AMD CPU, but called it
unknown Athlon or Opteron. As I said, seems to be common when searched
google and latest BIOS supposedly fixes.

I've downloaded the flash update and will see how that goes. Thanks.