Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File Transfer Wizard Windows XP

File Transfer Wizard Windows XP

rfdjr1@optonline.net

This is bordering on the ridiculous. I have been trying for a week to set up a
network and get nowhere. All I want to do is transfer files (mp3 files of music)
from my desktop to my new laptop. Way too many to burn to CD and transfer. I
gave up on the network and now have tried the File Transfer Wizard. I bought a
crossover cable, which someone recommended to me. It apparently plugs into the
RJ45 ethernet plug on both computers, giving them a direct link to each other.
They're hard wired together. I launch the Windows XP File Transfer Wizard, and
it looks for a serial connection. My laptop has no serial port, only the
ethernet connection. This is why I was told to buy a crossover cable. So I can't
get past that point in the "Wizard". Why can't I comprehend this? The computers
are joined by a cable, I run the Wizard which is supposed to simplify things,
and I find I have the wrong cable connected. How can I transfer files from one
computer to the other without having to sit here and burn over 5,000 files to
CD's? Why won't this "crossover cable" work? Please help. I'm getting desparate.

Toolman Tim

> This is bordering on the ridiculous. I have been trying for a week to
> set up a network and get nowhere. All I want to do is transfer files
> (mp3 files of music) from my desktop to my new laptop. Way too many
> to burn to CD and transfer. I gave up on the network and now have
> tried the File Transfer Wizard. I bought a crossover cable, which
> someone recommended to me. It apparently plugs into the RJ45 ethernet
> plug on both computers, giving them a direct link to each other.
> They're hard wired together. I launch the Windows XP File Transfer
> Wizard, and it looks for a serial connection. My laptop has no serial
> port, only the ethernet connection. This is why I was told to buy a
> crossover cable. So I can't get past that point in the "Wizard". Why
> can't I comprehend this? The computers are joined by a cable, I run
> the Wizard which is supposed to simplify things, and I find I have
> the wrong cable connected. How can I transfer files from one computer
> to the other without having to sit here and burn over 5,000 files to
> CD's? Why won't this "crossover cable" work? Please help. I'm getting
> desparate.

Run the Home Network Setup Wizard first. Then the file and settings transfer
wizard.

rfdjr1@optonline.net

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:40:03 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> This is bordering on the ridiculous. I have been trying for a week to
>> set up a network and get nowhere. All I want to do is transfer files
>> (mp3 files of music) from my desktop to my new laptop. Way too many
>> to burn to CD and transfer. I gave up on the network and now have
>> tried the File Transfer Wizard. I bought a crossover cable, which
>> someone recommended to me. It apparently plugs into the RJ45 ethernet
>> plug on both computers, giving them a direct link to each other.
>> They're hard wired together. I launch the Windows XP File Transfer
>> Wizard, and it looks for a serial connection. My laptop has no serial
>> port, only the ethernet connection. This is why I was told to buy a
>> crossover cable. So I can't get past that point in the "Wizard". Why
>> can't I comprehend this? The computers are joined by a cable, I run
>> the Wizard which is supposed to simplify things, and I find I have
>> the wrong cable connected. How can I transfer files from one computer
>> to the other without having to sit here and burn over 5,000 files to
>> CD's? Why won't this "crossover cable" work? Please help. I'm getting
>> desparate.

>Run the Home Network Setup Wizard first. Then the file and settings transfer
>wizard.

Thanks Tim, But what happens when I get to the point in Files and Settings
Transfers and it's looking for a SERIAL connection, and all I have is the
crossover cable?

why?

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 19:58:37 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>This is bordering on the ridiculous. I have been trying for a week to set up a
>network and get nowhere. All I want to do is transfer files (mp3 files of music)

It really isn't that hard, it seems more like you are missing something
so basic.

>from my desktop to my new laptop. Way too many to burn to CD and transfer. I
>gave up on the network and now have tried the File Transfer Wizard. I bought a

2 PCs with a crossover are still networked

With the cable connected and if your network cards have LEDs are you
seeing a LED for Link?

>crossover cable, which someone recommended to me. It apparently plugs into the
>RJ45 ethernet plug on both computers, giving them a direct link to each other.

Not 'apparently ' , it only plugs into the Ethernet RJ45 port.

>They're hard wired together. I launch the Windows XP File Transfer Wizard, and

Fine.

>it looks for a serial connection. My laptop has no serial port, only the

Never used FTW, was mentioned before and there were several URLs of
sites to look at posted before.

File Sharing in XP,
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...p_filesharing/

See also
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301999
"Home or Small Network" Option Is Unavailable in the Files and Settings
Transfer Wizard

>ethernet connection. This is why I was told to buy a crossover cable. So I can't
>get past that point in the "Wizard". Why can't I comprehend this? The computers

If the laptop doesn't have a serial port, there are PC cards with serial
ports.

>are joined by a cable, I run the Wizard which is supposed to simplify things,
>and I find I have the wrong cable connected. How can I transfer files from one
>computer to the other without having to sit here and burn over 5,000 files to
>CD's? Why won't this "crossover cable" work? Please help. I'm getting desparate.

Have you installed TCP/IP on both PCs, it should almost be there by
default, unless you added a network card later and didn't install the
card driver.

1st basic check -

Network and Dial-up Connections
there is an entry
Local Area Connection
type LAN , Status Enabled.

Open up the properties tab,

The network card type is listed under Connect using: , you may also need
to add these components in the next section

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

The properties for TCP/IP, are Obtain an IP address automatically.

Those checks and settings apply to both PCs.

From Win 2000 and after, MS have an automatic address configuration, if
you aren't connected to a router / your ISP , Windows will figure this
out and assign the addressing automatically (if the basic hardware /
drivers / cable connection are okay) using

APIPA
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html

Once you have the network card , drivers and TCP/IP setup you switch 1
PC on and leave it for a minute, then the other. They will sort out the
addressing.

You can confirm TCP/IP is installed and running.

Open a CMD prompt, enter

ping 127.0.0.1
(that is an internal lookback test to the network software) it doesn't
test the card. You get something like this output

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

ipconfig
(this shows the automatic settings) The IP address is something like
169.254.xxx.xxx , for my system it looks like -

Windows 2000 IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Eack PC should have a similar 169.254.xxx.xxx address , but the
addresses aren't the same number, for obvious reasons.

You can test this as well,

If the laptop is 169.254.0.1 , on the PC (which may be 169.254.0.2 )
ping the laptop address

From PC , ping 169.254.0.1
From laptop, ping 169.254.0.2

You should get the 4 reply lines as above, if there is a problem the 4
lines will instead be -

Pinging 169.254.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 169.254.0.1:

If the networking hardware / software is setup and it's running okay -

Next you have to share a folder to copy files to.

You can get a lot of this from the Start | Help and Support | seting up
using wizards

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

You also want to create the same user account name/password on both PCs,
login using this account on both PCs
http://support.microsoft.com/default...279783&sd=tech

Well it's almost 2AM here , time to catch some ZZZzzzzsss

Me

why?

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 19:58:37 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>This is bordering on the ridiculous. I have been trying for a week to set up a
>network and get nowhere. All I want to do is transfer files (mp3 files of music)
>from my desktop to my new laptop. Way too many to burn to CD and transfer. I
>gave up on the network and now have tried the File Transfer Wizard. I bought a
>crossover cable, which someone recommended to me. It apparently plugs into the
>RJ45 ethernet plug on both computers, giving them a direct link to each other.
>They're hard wired together. I launch the Windows XP File Transfer Wizard, and
>it looks for a serial connection. My laptop has no serial port, only the

<snip>

Just saw the post from Toolman Tim / your reply.

I did create the FTW floppy, but haven't run it to collect settings. I
continued with clicking next for using Direct Cable Connect. The next
bit is 'where should the wizard look', there are 3 choices.

Direct Cable
Floppy / Other removable media
Network Connection / Removable drive - a button to browse

Me

Toolman Tim

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:40:03 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> This is bordering on the ridiculous. I have been trying for a week
>>> to set up a network and get nowhere. All I want to do is transfer
>>> files (mp3 files of music) from my desktop to my new laptop. Way
>>> too many to burn to CD and transfer. I gave up on the network and
>>> now have tried the File Transfer Wizard. I bought a crossover
>>> cable, which someone recommended to me. It apparently plugs into
>>> the RJ45 ethernet plug on both computers, giving them a direct link
>>> to each other. They're hard wired together. I launch the Windows XP
>>> File Transfer Wizard, and it looks for a serial connection. My
>>> laptop has no serial port, only the ethernet connection. This is
>>> why I was told to buy a crossover cable. So I can't get past that
>>> point in the "Wizard". Why can't I comprehend this? The computers
>>> are joined by a cable, I run the Wizard which is supposed to
>>> simplify things, and I find I have the wrong cable connected. How
>>> can I transfer files from one computer to the other without having
>>> to sit here and burn over 5,000 files to CD's? Why won't this
>>> "crossover cable" work? Please help. I'm getting desparate.

>> Run the Home Network Setup Wizard first. Then the file and settings
>> transfer wizard.

> Thanks Tim, But what happens when I get to the point in Files and
> Settings Transfers and it's looking for a SERIAL connection, and all
> I have is the crossover cable?

If the network is working, it will give you the network option. Until the
network is working, that option is (obviously) not available.

Plato

Toolman Tim wrote:

> If the network is working, it will give you the network option. Until the
> network is working, that option is (obviously) not available.

As an aside.

It always bothered me that when you setup a network, even a simple one,
and you know for fact that the cables, nics, hub/switch/router, is OK.
And you've done it a hundred times, and then, this time, the network
doesn't work at all, or one pc just cant see the network.

What bothered me is that I never could find a simple checklist to use to
make sure you got all the settings correct. Of course one could make one
yourself. But even so, one still may find that odd glitch where some nic
or cable in a pc worked perfectly before, but for whatever reason, when
you redo the network, often just trying a new nic or cable does the
trick.

Then you just use the old cable and nic on the next network and it works
perfectly. I suppose it's just one of "those odd things".

So the checklist perhaps should include trying new/different cable
and/or new/different nic.

Toolman Tim

Plato wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>>
>> If the network is working, it will give you the network option.
>> Until the network is working, that option is (obviously) not
>> available.

> As an aside.
>
> It always bothered me that when you setup a network, even a simple
> one, and you know for fact that the cables, nics, hub/switch/router,
> is OK. And you've done it a hundred times, and then, this time, the
> network doesn't work at all, or one pc just cant see the network.

Oh yeah - believe me: I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! <g> I *hate*
it when that happens.

> What bothered me is that I never could find a simple checklist to use
> to make sure you got all the settings correct. Of course one could
> make one yourself. But even so, one still may find that odd glitch
> where some nic or cable in a pc worked perfectly before, but for
> whatever reason, when you redo the network, often just trying a new
> nic or cable does the trick.
>
> Then you just use the old cable and nic on the next network and it
> works perfectly. I suppose it's just one of "those odd things".
>
> So the checklist perhaps should include trying new/different cable
> and/or new/different nic.

Dan Evans

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> gave up on the network and now have tried the File Transfer Wizard.

> They're hard wired together. I launch the Windows XP File Transfer Wizard,
> and
> it looks for a serial connection. My laptop has no serial port, only the
> ethernet connection. This is why I was told to buy a crossover cable. So I
> can't
> get past that point in the "Wizard". Why can't I comprehend this?

You "gave up on the network" but you want to use the network option on the
File transfer wizard? It can't work if the network isn't up. Run the
network set up wizard and try again.

Dan

Toolman Tim

Dan Evans wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> gave up on the network and now have tried the File Transfer Wizard.

>> They're hard wired together. I launch the Windows XP File Transfer
>> Wizard, and
>> it looks for a serial connection. My laptop has no serial port, only
>> the ethernet connection. This is why I was told to buy a crossover
>> cable. So I can't
>> get past that point in the "Wizard". Why can't I comprehend this?

> You "gave up on the network" but you want to use the network option
> on the File transfer wizard? It can't work if the network isn't up. Run
> the network set up wizard and try again.

In another post yesterday, he's talking about a router. I don't know if he's
direct-connecting the two computers here with the crossover cable like he
said, or if he's trying to run through the router. He would have problems
using a crossover cable with many routers.