Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Desktop icon at bottom of screen

Desktop icon at bottom of screen

Silvabod

"Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START button. Its
function when clicked was to display the desktop over the top of running
application (thus, didn't have to minimise every window to get to the
desktop)

New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came from one of the
many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to these now
lost.
Silvabod

Ingeborg

"Silvabod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:8Q43f.50$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START button. Its
> function when clicked was to display the desktop over the top of
> running application (thus, didn't have to minimise every window to get
> to the desktop)
>
> New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
> Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came from one of
> the many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to
> these now lost.
> Silvabod

Create a file 'Show Desktop.scf'
put the following lines in it:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Safe it and drag it to the 'Quick lauch' bar.

Noel Paton

"Silvabod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8Q43f.50$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START button. Its
> function when clicked was to display the desktop over the top of running
> application (thus, didn't have to minimise every window to get to the
> desktop)
>
> New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
> Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came from one of the
> many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to these now
> lost.
> Silvabod

Enable the QuickLaunch Toolbar

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Silvabod

Knew it was something simple, I just forgot what it was! Thanks, Noel.

"Noel Paton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:diio30$cn$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

> "Silvabod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8Q43f.50$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START button. Its
>> function when clicked was to display the desktop over the top of running
>> application (thus, didn't have to minimise every window to get to the
>> desktop)
>>
>> New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
>> Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came from one of
>> the many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to
>> these now lost.
>> Silvabod

> Enable the QuickLaunch Toolbar
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Silvabod

Thanks, Ingeborg, appreciate your reply.
Noel's solution works (the "toggle desktop" icon is already on it, so no
additional script needed)
I didn't have "quicklaunch" toolbar enabled, was the problem.
Silvabod

"Ingeborg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Silvabod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:8Q43f.50$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START button. Its
>> function when clicked was to display the desktop over the top of
>> running application (thus, didn't have to minimise every window to get
>> to the desktop)
>>
>> New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
>> Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came from one of
>> the many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to
>> these now lost.
>> Silvabod
>>

> Create a file 'Show Desktop.scf'
> put the following lines in it:
>
> [Shell]
> Command=2
> IconFile=explorer.exe,3
> [Taskbar]
> Command=ToggleDesktop
>
> Safe it and drag it to the 'Quick lauch' bar.

Dave Lear

"Silvabod" wrote in message news:8Q43f.50$(E-Mail Removed)

> "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START
> button. Its function when clicked was to display the desktop
> over the top of running application (thus, didn't have to minimise
> every window to get to the desktop)
>
> New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
> Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came
> from one of the many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years
> ago - links to these now lost.

How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355

FML

Silvabod wrote:
> "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START button. Its
> function when clicked was to display the desktop over the top of running
> application (thus, didn't have to minimise every window to get to the
> desktop)
>
> New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
> Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came from one of the
> many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to these now
> lost.
> Silvabod

As previously stated, you can enable the Quicklaunch Toolbar.
Or you can use the keyboard shortcut WinKey-D

michele

Open Notepad and enter the following text:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the new file as Show Desktop.scf then drag and drop the icon on the
Quick Launch bar or whatever location you want the shortcut to appear.

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Silvabod wrote:
>> "Old" XP pc, used to have a "desktop" icon near the START button. Its
>> function when clicked was to display the desktop over the top of running
>> application (thus, didn't have to minimise every window to get to the
>> desktop)
>>
>> New XP pc - I'd like that function back.
>> Dis-remember how to do it - can anyone help? Think it came from one of
>> the many XP "tweaks" or "hints", resources, 2-3 years ago - links to
>> these now lost.
>> Silvabod

> As previously stated, you can enable the Quicklaunch Toolbar.
> Or you can use the keyboard shortcut WinKey-D

Silvabod

That's a new one on me! Thanks! (Winkey /D)