Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Small project

Small project

romes

I want to create to a small library database with VB6 that stores
information on books such as title, Author, ISBN etc, I should be able
to search the database by Author or title.My questions are

1. Where is VB going to store the information such that it can be
backed up?

2. What code will save the records to a file? Do I need to freate a
file first?

3. What code can I implement to search for a title in the databse?

Silvabod

Why VB6? This is an standard EXCEL or Access application (if you don't like
MS, then generically, spreadsheet or database application)
Once the data is inserted, by all means use macros (=VB in Excel) to create
"search" options (though these are built-in toolbar functions, anyway).

Silvabod

"romes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I want to create to a small library database with VB6 that stores
> information on books such as title, Author, ISBN etc, I should be able
> to search the database by Author or title.My questions are
>
> 1. Where is VB going to store the information such that it can be
> backed up?
>
> 2. What code will save the records to a file? Do I need to freate a
> file first?
>
> 3. What code can I implement to search for a title in the databse?

why?

On 12 Oct 2005 02:26:22 -0700, romes wrote:

>I want to create to a small library database with VB6 that stores
>information on books such as title, Author, ISBN etc, I should be able
>to search the database by Author or title.My questions are

Don't need VB6 for that.

>1. Where is VB going to store the information such that it can be
>backed up?

Where you pick to write the file.

>2. What code will save the records to a file? Do I need to freate a
>file first?

You really have done some of this before? You can't write to a file with
out opening file handles.

>3. What code can I implement to search for a title in the databse?

Wow, you have a bit of learning to do.

Try www.google.com and look for VB6 examples, tutorials.

Even the installed examples, are most likely to have something similar
a small DB , at least working with files.

That's how you learn, code samples, manuals and even something really
obvious like
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...84060?v=glance

Me