Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > harddisk causing puter to turn off (UK)

harddisk causing puter to turn off (UK)

Dangermouse

ok folks , i have a hard disk that i have tested over two computers
and tested those computers with a couple of other spare hardisks

Conclusion

it defo seems to cause some kind of serious error that computers are scared
off !!

Hit the power button to turn a computer on and you hear the fans starting ,
within about
a second or two before the bios info even comes in the computers turn off

they defo dont like this hardisk

any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
it repaired ( cheaply )

PAUL

Unk

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:17:22 GMT, "Dangermouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ok folks , i have a hard disk that i have tested over two computers
>and tested those computers with a couple of other spare hardisks
>
>Conclusion
>
>it defo seems to cause some kind of serious error that computers are scared
>off !!
>
>Hit the power button to turn a computer on and you hear the fans starting ,
>within about
>a second or two before the bios info even comes in the computers turn off
>
>they defo dont like this hardisk
>
>any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
>it repaired ( cheaply )
>
>PAUL

Internal short. It's poping the power supply's circuit breaker.

WormWood

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:17:22 GMT, "Dangermouse"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>ok folks , i have a hard disk that i have tested over two computers
>>and tested those computers with a couple of other spare hardisks
>>
>>Conclusion
>>
>>it defo seems to cause some kind of serious error that computers are
>>scared
>>off !!
>>
>>Hit the power button to turn a computer on and you hear the fans
>>starting ,
>>within about
>>a second or two before the bios info even comes in the computers turn
>>off
>>
>>they defo dont like this hardisk
>>
>>any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
>>it repaired ( cheaply )
>>
>>PAUL
>>

> Internal short. It's poping the power supply's circuit breaker.

On both computers? Or do you mean the short is in the hard drive?
WW

Unk

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 03:34:11 -0400, "WormWood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:17:22 GMT, "Dangermouse"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>ok folks , i have a hard disk that i have tested over two computers
>>>and tested those computers with a couple of other spare hardisks
>>>
>>>Conclusion
>>>
>>>it defo seems to cause some kind of serious error that computers are
>>>scared
>>>off !!
>>>
>>>Hit the power button to turn a computer on and you hear the fans
>>>starting ,
>>>within about
>>>a second or two before the bios info even comes in the computers turn
>>>off
>>>
>>>they defo dont like this hardisk
>>>
>>>any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
>>>it repaired ( cheaply )
>>>
>>>PAUL
>>>

>> Internal short. It's poping the power supply's circuit breaker.
>>

>On both computers? Or do you mean the short is in the hard drive?
>WW

Internal short in the HD. It's poping the PC's power supply's circuit breaker.

Silvabod

SNIP ...any idea where in Uk I can get it repaired ( cheaply )

You jest! UNLESS you have critical-value business data and need it
recovered (but you DID make regular back-ups, didn't you?) ....
the hourly rate of a technician exceeds the cost of a new disk, probably of
greater capacity/speed. Then add the company's overhead .... forget it!

Regular scheduled FULL, plus daily incremental backups to second drive or
external media = peace of mind.

Silvabod.

"Dangermouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CuZ2f.8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ok folks , i have a hard disk that i have tested over two computers
> and tested those computers with a couple of other spare hardisks
>
> Conclusion
>
> it defo seems to cause some kind of serious error that computers are
> scared off !!
>
> Hit the power button to turn a computer on and you hear the fans starting
> , within about
> a second or two before the bios info even comes in the computers turn off
>
> they defo dont like this hardisk
>
> any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
> it repaired ( cheaply )
>
> PAUL

Bluesky

>Internal short in the HD. It's poping the PC's power supply's circuit
>breaker.

Thnaks for that , it certainly makes sense to me ... to you imagine such a
thing would
damage the disk or would it operate normally if fixed

--
Cheers
Paul [Bluesky Marketing]

Bluesky Marketing
Unit 29
SIX Harmony Row
Glasgow G51 3BA

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 03:34:11 -0400, "WormWood"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Internal short. It's poping the power supply's circuit breaker.
>>>

>>On both computers? Or do you mean the short is in the hard drive?
>>WW
>>

> Internal short in the HD. It's poping the PC's power supply's circuit
> breaker.

Whiskers

On 2005-10-12, Dangermouse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ok folks , i have a hard disk that i have tested over two computers
> and tested those computers with a couple of other spare hardisks
>
> Conclusion
>
> it defo seems to cause some kind of serious error that computers are scared
> off !!
>
> Hit the power button to turn a computer on and you hear the fans starting ,
> within about
> a second or two before the bios info even comes in the computers turn off
>
> they defo dont like this hardisk
>
> any ideas whats causing it , and also any idea where in Uk I can get
> it repaired ( cheaply )
>
> PAUL

I don't think HDs are 'repairable'. If the data on it is worth enough to
you then a data recovery service may be able to help, at a price. Backups
are far cheaper, so start now if you haven't got any.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Unk

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:41:35 +0000 (UTC), "Bluesky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Internal short in the HD. It's poping the PC's power supply's circuit
>>breaker.

>Thnaks for that , it certainly makes sense to me ... to you imagine such a
>thing would
>damage the disk or would it operate normally if fixed

If you can locate an identical hard drive, you can try swapping the logic board.
I've only had one success in 5 tries. Not good odds...