Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Audio CODEC damaged

Audio CODEC damaged

Jack B. Pollack

I have several AVI movie files.On some of these files the audio is working
and on others it is not (it used to work on all the files). I have tried the
files on a different computer and the audio DOES work on that system. I
assume that the CODEC has been damaged.

How do I ID the encoding CODEC? Once I ID it how do I repair it?

Thanks

Brian

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I have several AVI movie files.On some of these files the audio is working
> and on others it is not (it used to work on all the files). I have tried

the
> files on a different computer and the audio DOES work on that system. I
> assume that the CODEC has been damaged.
>
> How do I ID the encoding CODEC? Once I ID it how do I repair it?
>
> Thanks

what are you trying to play them with? there are several divx software
players out there.
installed any codecs and/or *packages* lately? some codec/packages will
intefere/cause conflicts/overide (with) others.
e.g divx packages and xvid packages don't seem to like each other. best is
to download the codecs seperately. google for g-spot. the prog will inform
you which codecs you need for certain .avi files.

Jack B. Pollack

Haven't installed any CODECS recently. I have tried to play them in the
DiviX Player and also MS Media Player.
Any to ID the way these files were encoded?

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:434a893b$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I have several AVI movie files.On some of these files the audio is

working
> > and on others it is not (it used to work on all the files). I have tried

> the
> > files on a different computer and the audio DOES work on that system. I
> > assume that the CODEC has been damaged.
> >
> > How do I ID the encoding CODEC? Once I ID it how do I repair it?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> what are you trying to play them with? there are several divx software
> players out there.
> installed any codecs and/or *packages* lately? some codec/packages will
> intefere/cause conflicts/overide (with) others.
> e.g divx packages and xvid packages don't seem to like each other. best is
> to download the codecs seperately. google for g-spot. the prog will inform
> you which codecs you need for certain .avi files.

Jack B. Pollack

When I right click the file the details tab shows audio format. All of the
files that have no audio are
MPEG Layer 3, 128K Bit, 48000 HZ Stereo. Strangely the ones that work are
also MPEG Layer 3.
Just the sampling rate is different 56K, 24000 HZ Stereo.

Any ideas?

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:434a893b$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I have several AVI movie files.On some of these files the audio is

working
> > and on others it is not (it used to work on all the files). I have tried

> the
> > files on a different computer and the audio DOES work on that system. I
> > assume that the CODEC has been damaged.
> >
> > How do I ID the encoding CODEC? Once I ID it how do I repair it?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> what are you trying to play them with? there are several divx software
> players out there.
> installed any codecs and/or *packages* lately? some codec/packages will
> intefere/cause conflicts/overide (with) others.
> e.g divx packages and xvid packages don't seem to like each other. best is
> to download the codecs seperately. google for g-spot. the prog will inform
> you which codecs you need for certain .avi files.

Unk

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:26:31 -0400, "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have several AVI movie files.On some of these files the audio is working
>and on others it is not (it used to work on all the files). I have tried the
>files on a different computer and the audio DOES work on that system. I
>assume that the CODEC has been damaged.
>
>How do I ID the encoding CODEC? Once I ID it how do I repair it?
>
>Thanks

Download and run "Gspot". Then use it to open the file and determine the codec needed.
You can also add a shortcut to it in the "sendto" folder.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

AVIcodec - Similar to above (Has many useful links too)
http://avicodec.duby.info/

fred-bloggs

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I have several AVI movie files.On some of these files the audio is
> working and on others it is not (it used to work on all the files). I
> have tried the files on a different computer and the audio DOES work
> on that system. I assume that the CODEC has been damaged.
>
> How do I ID the encoding CODEC? Once I ID it how do I repair it?
>
> Thanks

Forget about codecs, try using VLC to play the avis
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

--
fred