Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > beginner in VHDL

beginner in VHDL

Hans K Eide

Help needed…

Hi, my name is Hans Kristian, and I am a student at the University of
Bergen, in Norway. As a part of my master in physics, I am going to
examine a communication standard called ‘space wire’. It is written in
VHDL.

My problem is that I have no previous experience with that language, nor
have I been working with FPGAs. My background is automation engineer,
and the only language I know well is C++. My mentor is a theorist, and
can not help me with the practical things.

If some one could give me an advice where to start, I would be grateful.
I am sitting here with an ALTERA Stratix development board, and a thick
book ‘The Designer’s Guide To VHDL’ written by Peter Ashenden, but
really don’t know where to start.

Eric Smith

Hans K Eide <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> If some one could give me an advice where to start, I would be
> grateful. I am sitting here with an ALTERA Stratix development board,
> and a thick book "The Designer's Guide To VHDL" written by
> Peter Ashenden, but really don't know where to start.

You've got the right book, you just need to read, study, and try the
exercises. There's not any better way to learn it, AFAIK.

Ken Smith

In article <cnnun7$14l3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Hans K Eide <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Help needed…
>
>Hi, my name is Hans Kristian, and I am a student at the University of
>Bergen, in Norway. As a part of my master in physics, I am going to
>examine a communication standard called ‘space wire’. It is written in
>VHDL.
>
>My problem is that I have no previous experience with that language, nor
>have I been working with FPGAs. My background is automation engineer,
>and the only language I know well is C++. My mentor is a theorist, and
>can not help me with the practical things.
>
>If some one could give me an advice where to start, I would be grateful.
>I am sitting here with an ALTERA Stratix development board, and a thick
>book ‘The Designer’s Guide To VHDL’ written by Peter Ashenden, but
>really don’t know where to start.

Read the book and start with something about this complex:

library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;

entity InverterConnect is port(
A : in std_logic;
B : out std_logic);
end InverterConnect;

architecture InverterLogic of InverterConnect is
begin
B <= not A;
end;

Chances are you will only need about 25% of all of VHDL to get useful work
done. Do a few examples and then pick a small bit of your actual project
to do. After you've made something work, build your knowledge up from
there. "When eating an elephant take it one bite at a time"

I'm just about done with my first ever VHDL project. Its on the order of
5000 lines. I don't recomend something that big the first time out the
gate. There's just too much to keep in your head.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) forging knowledge

Brian Drummond

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:26:00 +0100, Hans K Eide
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Help needed…
>
>Hi, my name is Hans Kristian, and I am a student at the University of
>Bergen, in Norway. As a part of my master in physics, I am going to
>examine a communication standard called ‘space wire’. It is written in
>VHDL.

>If some one could give me an advice where to start, I would be grateful.
>I am sitting here with an ALTERA Stratix development board, and a thick
>book ‘The Designer’s Guide To VHDL’ written by Peter Ashenden, but
>really don’t know where to start.

Right author; right book for a reference; but something of an elephant.
Google for Ashenden and "VHDL Cookbook" which you can read through much
more quickly and get started.

- Brian

john

Hi,
I would suggest that

Reading the book first and know VHDL is not a good idea at all! HDL is
a hardware discription language. Try to buit a small electronics
circuit like casacade three 8- bit counters and connect them together
through wires. buy 8 bit counters, hook them to power supply u know
...u can find lots of electronics circuit examples on the internet and
then simulate the same circuit in VHDL and compare the result and
during this project read the things form the book which will help you
in this small project.. Remember its not a programming language like
C++ its a discription langauge. so learn how to design electronics
hardware and then on that knowledge learn how to discribe that
hardware in VHDL...

Regards
john

Hans K Eide <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cnnun7$14l3$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Help needed…
>
> Hi, my name is Hans Kristian, and I am a student at the University of
> Bergen, in Norway. As a part of my master in physics, I am going to
> examine a communication standard called ‘space wire’. It is written in
> VHDL.
>
> My problem is that I have no previous experience with that language, nor
> have I been working with FPGAs. My background is automation engineer,
> and the only language I know well is C++. My mentor is a theorist, and
> can not help me with the practical things.
>
> If some one could give me an advice where to start, I would be grateful.
> I am sitting here with an ALTERA Stratix development board, and a thick
> book ‘The Designer’s Guide To VHDL’ written by Peter Ashenden, but
> really don’t know where to start.

Neo

Hi hans,
The book is a really good one but hard on beginners. You can check out
the VHDL book from douglass perry which will take you through the
process much faster of course assuming you are conversant with digital
concepts.
go to the link below and download the free vhdl/verilog turorial which
is quite good.
http://www.aldec.com/Downloads/
If you have got specific questions you can email me.

Neo.

[...]

Najeem Lawal

Hans,

This statement is very true.

> Chances are you will only need about 25% of all of VHDL to get useful work
> done. Do a few examples and then pick a small bit of your actual project
> to do. After you've made something work, build your knowledge up from
> there. "When eating an elephant take it one bite at a time"

Like your knowledge of C++ you probably should not all the classes and
libraries to implement an application. But you have to be very close
to a good reference book like the one u have. I have a copy too.

Of course you must go beyond 25% when you need take on the 'elephant'
projects.

Regards,

Najeem

(E-Mail Removed) (Ken Smith) wrote in message news:<cnot4r$u0d$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <cnnun7$14l3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hans K Eide <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Help needed?
> >
> >Hi, my name is Hans Kristian, and I am a student at the University of
> >Bergen, in Norway. As a part of my master in physics, I am going to
> >examine a communication standard called ?space wire?. It is written in
> >VHDL.
> >
> >My problem is that I have no previous experience with that language, nor
> >have I been working with FPGAs. My background is automation engineer,
> >and the only language I know well is C++. My mentor is a theorist, and
> >can not help me with the practical things.
> >
> >If some one could give me an advice where to start, I would be grateful.
> >I am sitting here with an ALTERA Stratix development board, and a thick
> >book ?The Designer?s Guide To VHDL? written by Peter Ashenden, but
> >really don?t know where to start.
> >

> Read the book and start with something about this complex:
>
> library ieee;
> use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
>
> entity InverterConnect is port(
> A : in std_logic;
> B : out std_logic);
> end InverterConnect;
>
> architecture InverterLogic of InverterConnect is
> begin
> B <= not A;
> end;
>

> Chances are you will only need about 25% of all of VHDL to get useful work
> done. Do a few examples and then pick a small bit of your actual project
> to do. After you've made something work, build your knowledge up from
> there. "When eating an elephant take it one bite at a time"
>
> I'm just about done with my first ever VHDL project. Its on the order of
> 5000 lines. I don't recomend something that big the first time out the
> gate. There's just too much to keep in your head.

Ian Lang

Hans K Eide wrote:

> Help needed…
>
> Hi, my name is Hans Kristian, and I am a student at the University of
> Bergen, in Norway. As a part of my master in physics, I am going to
> examine a communication standard called ‘space wire’. It is written in
> VHDL.
>
> My problem is that I have no previous experience with that language, nor
> have I been working with FPGAs. My background is automation engineer,
> and the only language I know well is C++. My mentor is a theorist, and
> can not help me with the practical things.
>
> If some one could give me an advice where to start, I would be grateful.
> I am sitting here with an ALTERA Stratix development board, and a thick
> book ‘The Designer’s Guide To VHDL’ written by Peter Ashenden, but
> really don’t know where to start.

Take a look at these articles for a few tips:
http://www.designabstraction.co.uk/HTML/articles.htm
Regards,
Ian Lang.