Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > MS antispyware beta

MS antispyware beta

jill

It reported my host files as needing to be removed. I did not and
don't intend to. I don't like any advertising blurbs. I guess MS has
to get the message out somehow. I mean they really need the
revenue!!!!

joevan

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:50:38 -0400, jill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It reported my host files as needing to be removed. I did not and
>don't intend to. I don't like any advertising blurbs. I guess MS has
>to get the message out somehow. I mean they really need the
>revenue!!!!

LOL
Yeah same here but it wanted to restore them to what MS sends, with
all the crap in place. They won't change mine back either.

and for the same reason."

Trax

jill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>It reported my host files as needing to be removed. I did not and
|>don't intend to. I don't like any advertising blurbs. I guess MS has
|>to get the message out somehow. I mean they really need the
|>revenue!!!!

MS antispyware isn't to be trusted and certainly not to be used as
your first line of defense. They proved this shortly after it was
first released, when one previously quarantine'd item changed to "oh
just ignore this"

http://www.onahorse.com/

zarathustra

jill <(E-Mail Removed)> drooled:

>It reported my host files as needing to be removed. I did not and
>don't intend to. I don't like any advertising blurbs. I guess MS has
>to get the message out somehow. I mean they really need the
>revenue!!!!

What does it do that Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster & Spybot-S&D don't?
(Pros, not cons, that is...)

--

Stop Verisign DNS Abuse!:
http://www.whois.sc/verisign-dns/

The Boulder Pledge:
"Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me as the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the online community."
- as proposed by Roger Ebert
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...boulder+pledge

"It's amazing I won. I was running against
peace, prosperity, and incumbency."
- Dubya Bush, June 14 2001, unaware that live
television cameras were still rolling.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia:
a fear of long words...

Profanisaurus (now):http://tinyurl.com/ajbwm
http://www.limmy.com/playthings/xylophone/
http://www.mediaboy.net/1010100-1100001-1111010/gahk/

'the real TOMMY Tutalidge' wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed): - "The people that post in yenc have a
pickle shoved up their arse."
& '-= Hawk =-' replied in message
news:nkhdcv4c8uga0jonl0jpcgr8mt3g6m49na@news-server: - "And the people
(like you) who whine about yEnc eat those pickles."

- Panama!"- Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2)

zar 2k5 - ULC Minister
AND
http://www.drcnet.org/ http://www.timecube.com/
NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!1! on a lits...

Infinity is where things happen that don't
- Anonymous

Der Weg ist das Ziel

sic transit gloria mundi

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
01 - Those who can count in binary.
10 - Those who can't.

etc.

Toolman Tim

zarathustra wrote:
> jill <(E-Mail Removed)> drooled:
>
>> It reported my host files as needing to be removed. I did not and
>> don't intend to. I don't like any advertising blurbs. I guess MS has
>> to get the message out somehow. I mean they really need the
>> revenue!!!!

> What does it do that Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster & Spybot-S&D don't?
> (Pros, not cons, that is...)

The background monitor is quite useful. It provides warnings when something
is attempting to load/install. The others have as much pro-active monitoring
available, although I use all 4 of them. Spybot Search & Destroy's TeaTimer
may be good, but I find it frustrating because it doesn't display correctly
on my computer and I can't read the dialog boxes.

Trax

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>zarathustra wrote:
|>> jill <(E-Mail Removed)> drooled:

|>> What does it do that Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster & Spybot-S&D don't?
|>> (Pros, not cons, that is...)

|>The background monitor is quite useful. It provides warnings when something
|>is attempting to load/install. The others have as much pro-active monitoring
|>available, although I use all 4 of them. Spybot Search & Destroy's TeaTimer
|>may be good, but I find it frustrating because it doesn't display correctly
|>on my computer and I can't read the dialog boxes.

Teatimer not displaying, isn't a fault of your computer; It's a result
of the programer going to a different compiler.

It's been posted as a problem for a long while, would be nice for it
to be fix'd.

--
911 operator tells caller fire is actually fog.
Historic fort catches fog, burns to ground.

Toolman Tim

Trax wrote:

>>> The background monitor is quite useful. It provides warnings when
>>> something is attempting to load/install. The others have as much
>>> pro-active monitoring available, although I use all 4 of them.
>>> Spybot Search & Destroy's TeaTimer may be good, but I find it
>>> frustrating because it doesn't display correctly on my computer
>>> and I can't read the dialog boxes.

> Teatimer not displaying, isn't a fault of your computer; It's a result
> of the programer going to a different compiler.

Yeah - I knew it was in the programming, not the display drivers etc., but
that's not the point.

> It's been posted as a problem for a long while, would be nice for it
> to be fix'd.

*That's* the point <g>