Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dual boot with linux and Windows XP home.

Dual boot with linux and Windows XP home.

Viper

I am going to try out Linux for the first time and I am wanting to know what
Linux version should I start out with? I a system that has 2 hard drives in
it. I know that you can dual boot Linux with windows. How do I set up the
dual boot? I currently have Windows XP home on my master HD, and nothing on
my second HD. Windows XP home is installed on my 120 gig HD and I want Linux
to be on the 80 gig HD ( Second HD). Do I need to change my drives, and/or
wipe windows off of my system? I really do not want to lose any thing on my
windows drive if I do not have to.

gordon

Viper wrote:
> I am going to try out Linux for the first time and I am wanting to know what
> Linux version should I start out with? I a system that has 2 hard drives in
> it. I know that you can dual boot Linux with windows. How do I set up the
> dual boot? I currently have Windows XP home on my master HD, and nothing on
> my second HD. Windows XP home is installed on my 120 gig HD and I want Linux
> to be on the 80 gig HD ( Second HD). Do I need to change my drives, and/or
> wipe windows off of my system? I really do not want to lose any thing on my
> windows drive if I do not have to.

You're best bet is to try out a Live CD version to start with. These are
versions that will run entirely from the CD Drive and will not affect
your windows installation at all. Then you can see if you like it, and
more importantly, whether all your hardware will work with a particular
distro.
There are several to choose from:
Ubuntu, Knoppix, and Mepis to name three.

HTH

why?

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:32:04 GMT, Viper wrote:

>I am going to try out Linux for the first time and I am wanting to know what
>Linux version should I start out with? I a system that has 2 hard drives in

Try a live distro first, these boot from CD/DVD and will let you check
hardware compatability.

There are quite a few to pick from, see recent past posts in 24HSHD,

>it. I know that you can dual boot Linux with windows. How do I set up the
>dual boot? I currently have Windows XP home on my master HD, and nothing on
>my second HD. Windows XP home is installed on my 120 gig HD and I want Linux
>to be on the 80 gig HD ( Second HD). Do I need to change my drives, and/or
>wipe windows off of my system? I really do not want to lose any thing on my
>windows drive if I do not have to.

You should still backup anything important , a few times and test
restore to make sure it works.

If you do install Linux, you (in some versions) don't need to install
any boot loader, you can make a boot floppy instead.

MS also has a couple of articles, again with the
it's been mentioned in the last 2 or 3 months.

Me

Trax

Check out: http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html
to dual boot, and http://ubuntu.com/ as a Linux OS.

--
Fark.com rates in the top 100
http://news.com.com/2311-10784_3-101250.html#18763847

old jon

"Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I am going to try out Linux for the first time and I am wanting to know
>what Linux version should I start out with? I a system that has 2 hard
>drives in it. I know that you can dual boot Linux with windows. How do I
>set up the dual boot? I currently have Windows XP home on my master HD, and
>nothing on my second HD. Windows XP home is installed on my 120 gig HD and
>I want Linux to be on the 80 gig HD ( Second HD). Do I need to change my
>drives, and/or wipe windows off of my system? I really do not want to lose
>any thing on my windows drive if I do not have to.

Hi Viper. Just been going through it all. I`ve tried Ubuntu 5.04 & 5.10, and
also
Kubuntu. All live CDs. Then I tried PCLinuxos, and it is excellent for a
beginner.
The others all needed parameters set. but pclinuxos found all my hardware
1st time, no problem. Boots, and runs from CD.
So D\load and burn a LiveCD of pclinuxos from
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/html/download.html
best wishes..OJ

Whiskers

On 2005-10-10, Viper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am going to try out Linux for the first time and I am wanting to know what
> Linux version should I start out with? I a system that has 2 hard drives in
> it. I know that you can dual boot Linux with windows. How do I set up the
> dual boot? I currently have Windows XP home on my master HD, and nothing on
> my second HD. Windows XP home is installed on my 120 gig HD and I want Linux
> to be on the 80 gig HD ( Second HD). Do I need to change my drives, and/or
> wipe windows off of my system? I really do not want to lose any thing on my
> windows drive if I do not have to.

Mandriva is very user-friendly for newcomers. It has a graphical
installation process that gives you the option of setting up a 'dual boot'
with your existing Windows system. It's always a good idea to tidy up your
system and make good back-ups before making any changes to either software
or hardware.

alt.os.linux.mandrake and alt.os.linux.mandriva are useful Mandriva-related
newsgroups (Mandriva used to be called Mandrake). There are several other
Linux newsgroups too )

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Dan Evans

"Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I am going to try out Linux for the first time and I am wanting to know
> what Linux version should I start out with?

Knnoppix LiveCD. There are others out there, but Knoppix has always worked
for me - it's been good for identfying harware and their correct drivers
before installing Debian for real as well.

Dan

joe

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:32:04 +0000, Viper wrote:

> I am going to try out Linux for the first time and I am wanting to know
> what Linux version should I start out with? I a system that has 2 hard
> drives in it. I know that you can dual boot Linux with windows. How do I
> set up the dual boot? I currently have Windows XP home on my master HD,
> and nothing on my second HD. Windows XP home is installed on my 120 gig HD
> and I want Linux to be on the 80 gig HD ( Second HD). Do I need to change
> my drives, and/or wipe windows off of my system? I really do not want to
> lose any thing on my windows drive if I do not have to

Try Ubuntu and just follow the directions and it will work fine. It can
e downloaded a www.ubuntulinux.org. I have the same set up and I never
us window anymore. You will find that windows is needed if you are a
gamer. Good Luck