Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Messed with file security, now "access denied", how to recover?

Messed with file security, now "access denied", how to recover?

Philipp Schumann

Hi,

on a friend's Win XP Pro (SP2), I basically performed the following
actions:

- copied her files from "my documents" to a folder in "C:"
- deleted her account "miri"
- created a new account with the name "miri"
- copied her files from the folder in "C:" to new "my documents" folder

obviously the previous "owner" identity is not identical to the new one
with
the same name, fair enough. now, I went into the admin account, and on
the
"security" tab of the "properties" for "miri's documents" tried to
grant her
access rights. instead I apparently managed to lose all the rights for
_anyone_ so now even admin can't access her docs anymore. when opening
"miri's documents" (or any file in it for that matter), or even when
trying
to switch to the "security" tab again in the "properties" dialog, i get

"access denied".

is there any fundamental place where i can reset the whole security
information (must be stored in the file allocation table of sorts)? i
can't
even backup them to another device at the moment as I even get "access
denied" when trying, in the command box, to changedir to "miri's
documents".

Help greatly appreciated!
Best regards,
Phil

George

> Hi,
>
> on a friend's Win XP Pro (SP2), I basically performed the following
> actions:
>
> - copied her files from "my documents" to a folder in "C:"
> - deleted her account "miri"
> - created a new account with the name "miri"
> - copied her files from the folder in "C:" to new "my documents"
> folder
>
> obviously the previous "owner" identity is not identical to the new
> one
> with
> the same name, fair enough. now, I went into the admin account, and on
> the
> "security" tab of the "properties" for "miri's documents" tried to
> grant her
> access rights. instead I apparently managed to lose all the rights for
> _anyone_ so now even admin can't access her docs anymore. when opening
> "miri's documents" (or any file in it for that matter), or even when
> trying
> to switch to the "security" tab again in the "properties" dialog, i
> get
>
> "access denied".
>
> is there any fundamental place where i can reset the whole security
> information (must be stored in the file allocation table of sorts)? i
> can't
> even backup them to another device at the moment as I even get "access
> denied" when trying, in the command box, to changedir to "miri's
> documents".
>
> Help greatly appreciated!
> Best regards,
> Phil

Where the files encrypted by any chance? If so, good luck getting them
back.

George

Toolman Tim

Philipp Schumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on a friend's Win XP Pro (SP2), I basically performed the following
> actions:
>
> - copied her files from "my documents" to a folder in "C:"
> - deleted her account "miri"
> - created a new account with the name "miri"
> - copied her files from the folder in "C:" to new "my documents"
> folder
>
> obviously the previous "owner" identity is not identical to the new
> one with
> the same name, fair enough. now, I went into the admin account, and on
> the
> "security" tab of the "properties" for "miri's documents" tried to
> grant her
> access rights. instead I apparently managed to lose all the rights for
> _anyone_ so now even admin can't access her docs anymore. when opening
> "miri's documents" (or any file in it for that matter), or even when
> trying
> to switch to the "security" tab again in the "properties" dialog, i
> get
>
> "access denied".
>
> is there any fundamental place where i can reset the whole security
> information (must be stored in the file allocation table of sorts)? i
> can't
> even backup them to another device at the moment as I even get "access
> denied" when trying, in the command box, to changedir to "miri's
> documents".
>
> Help greatly appreciated!
> Best regards,
> Phil

Just a thought: next time, try making a new account first, copying the data
files to that, then removing the original, and renaming the new one.

But for this problem, see if this helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222
http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/acls3.shtml

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Philipp Schumann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> on a friend's Win XP Pro (SP2), I basically performed the following
> actions:
>
> - copied her files from "my documents" to a folder in "C:"
> - deleted her account "miri"
> - created a new account with the name "miri"
> - copied her files from the folder in "C:" to new "my documents" folder
>
> obviously the previous "owner" identity is not identical to the new one
> with
> the same name, fair enough. now, I went into the admin account, and on
> the
> "security" tab of the "properties" for "miri's documents" tried to
> grant her
> access rights. instead I apparently managed to lose all the rights for
> _anyone_ so now even admin can't access her docs anymore. when opening
> "miri's documents" (or any file in it for that matter), or even when
> trying
> to switch to the "security" tab again in the "properties" dialog, i get
>
> "access denied".
>
> is there any fundamental place where i can reset the whole security
> information (must be stored in the file allocation table of sorts)? i
> can't
> even backup them to another device at the moment as I even get "access
> denied" when trying, in the command box, to changedir to "miri's
> documents".

Go to the CMD prompt

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings

Presuming her account tree is named Miri, type in:

CACLS Miri /T /E /C /G Miri:F

If that doesn't work - the next step is to mount it on an XP Pro or
2K machine, and take ownership, then grant "Full" rights for "Everyone" to
the folder, fixing the permissions as you go back along.

RwP