Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't downlaod friend's NG messages..........

Can't downlaod friend's NG messages..........

David Spiro

I can't seem to be able to get a particular friend's messages to download on
my outlook 2000 newsreader. (alt.fan.bladerunner). I checked the blocked
senders list just to be safe, and he is not on there, nor are there any
message rules set up for him. I am not sure what is going on, but there
doesn't seem to be a logical reason for it.

Any help would be welcome. His ISP is skynet.be, if that helps at
all......................

Evan Platt

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 11:11:27 -0400, "David Spiro"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can't seem to be able to get a particular friend's messages to download on
>my outlook 2000 newsreader. (alt.fan.bladerunner). I checked the blocked
>senders list just to be safe, and he is not on there, nor are there any
>message rules set up for him. I am not sure what is going on, but there
>doesn't seem to be a logical reason for it.
>
>Any help would be welcome. His ISP is skynet.be, if that helps at
>all......................

Telling us the error or what happens when you try to download his
messages would help.

Mike Easter

David Spiro wrote:

> I can't seem to be able to get a particular friend's messages to
> download on my outlook 2000 newsreader. (alt.fan.bladerunner).

That sentence is not at all clear in several ways.

Outlook, abbreviated OL, in any version, OL2000 or otherwise, is not a
newsreader but a MAPI client for the MS Office suite. It has a similar
name but different architecture from Outlook Express OE, which doesn't
have a '2000' version. Both of them handle mail, but they handle it
differently.

So, let's assume you meant to say" I can't seem to be able to get a
particular friend's messages to download on my OE newsreader.
(alt.fan.bladerunner)."

It still doesn't make sense yet, because you have left ambiguous whether
you are 'looking at' the effect of the accessibility of some particular
message headers, such as your friend's, but when you try to access the
message body you are provided with a message saying that the body isn't
available -- or -- you aren't even seeing the presence of the message
headers, which would make for a strange question because it doesn't make
any sense that you would 'know of' the presence of some 'invisible'
message if you couldn't see its headers.

You are going to have to get clear on knowing your newsreader and you
are going to have to describe much better what you are seeing and what
you are not seeing. As long as you are trying to 'describe' something,
why don't you say what your friend's posting name is in the From of the
news message which you are expecting to see, and/or its subject, so that
someone can look for themselves for its appearance or not in the
newsgroup in question.

And, yet another thing... whenever you talk about a newsgroup's name,
you have to get its name precisely right, this isn't like horseshoes,
you can't be 'close'. There is no such newsgroup as
alt.fan.bladerunner. There is an alt.fan.blader-runner with a dash and
there is an alt.games.bladerunner without a dash. So, you are also
going to have to get clear on that.

The other thing you can do while you are checking things out is to check
for what you are looking for on an alternate newsserver than your own
newsdawg/newsguy -- or even look for the messages in GG google groups.

> checked the blocked senders list just to be safe, and he is not on
> there, nor are there any message rules set up for him. I am not sure
> what is going on, but there doesn't seem to be a logical reason for
> it.

> Any help would be welcome. His ISP is skynet.be, if that helps at
> all......................

What would help would be to know what makes you think there is a message
from your friend and 'who' is your friend, that is, what is his posting
handle or from.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:

> And, yet another thing... whenever you talk about a newsgroup's name,
> you have to get its name precisely right,

.... and that includes me!

> this isn't like horseshoes,
> you can't be 'close'. There is no such newsgroup as
> alt.fan.bladerunner. There is an alt.fan.blader-runner

oops. Make that alt.fan.blade-runner, lose that extra 'r'

> with a dash
> and there is an alt.games.bladerunner without a dash.

--
Mike Easter

David Spiro

Well, thank you for your pedantic, sound thrashing of my request. I'll look
elsewhere for some help, thank you.

Toolman Tim

David Spiro wrote:
> Well, thank you for your pedantic, sound thrashing of my request.
> I'll look elsewhere for some help, thank you.

Why don't you just reply to his questions instead of getting your nose out
of joint? He made some very sound observations: name errors, lack of
information, incorrect newsgroup names, etc. If you expect good advice,
provide good information. (Remember GIGO?)

Blinky the Shark

"David Spiro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, thank you for your pedantic, sound thrashing of my
> request. I'll look elsewhere for some help, thank you.

Yeah, Mike wasted far too much time and energy trying to help you
allow others to help you. He should've just given you this link and
moved on to someone who can provide enough information for their own
problems to be resolved.

Blinky

Mike Easter

David Spiro wrote:
> Well, thank you for your pedantic, sound thrashing of my request.
> I'll look elsewhere for some help, thank you.

Okey dokey.

For those who are curious about researching the feeds and propagation
error problem, this is about Lukas Mariman posting via news.skynet.be
and David Spiro reading on news.newsguy.com -- the newsgroup
alt.fan.blade-runner.

A better description of the problem was given there:

David Spiro wrote:
> I still can't read Lukas's messages, that is to say they don't get
> listed in any thread that he posts to. I only see them as part of
> someone else's response. No, he is not in my blocked senders list, or
> my message rules list.

The way you would troubleshoot the 'unknown hand of an errant message
rule' vs a propagation discrepancy between the two party's newsserver
feeds would be to get rid of the message rule effect by putting one of
Lukas's recent message id/s into your browser as a news message link.

The browser will call up the newsreader and the newsreader will display
the message whether there is a message rule against it or not -- but the
message has to be present on the newsserver in question and that
newsserver has to be configured as the default newsserver in OE.

An example of an Oct 9 message from Lukas Mariman in the ng in question
is news:434970ea$0$21041$(E-Mail Removed)

Then, after that maneuver is performed, or as an alternative maneuver,
you would access another newsserver where the posts are known to be,
such as news.readfreenews.net and -1- see if the messages just
'naturally' appear there and/or -2- use the news msgid method described
above after changing the default newsserver in OE's configuration to the
RFN one.

Having an alternate newsserver is the quickest way to research such
puzzles.

--
Mike Easter