Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to find out hard drive size?

How to find out hard drive size?

old jon

"Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vSN1f.6585$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
> 20GB
> hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
> drive,
> it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used at
> work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it would
> have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician
> has
> written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is it
> possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If
> so,
> how do I check if these exist?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kirsty.

Google for, and D\load `Everest Home`. Install and run it. It will tell you
everything
about your computer. (for free).
best wishes..OJ

Kirsty

My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a 20GB
hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C: drive,
it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used at
work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it would
have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician has
written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is it
possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If so,
how do I check if these exist?

Thanks in advance,
Kirsty.

Secret Squiddle

"Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vSN1f.6585$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
> 20GB
> hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
> drive,
> it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used at
> work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it would
> have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician
> has
> written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is it
> possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If
> so,
> how do I check if these exist?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kirsty.

Sounds like the 1 Hard drive is partitioned into three. 19GB would be about
right for a "20GB" HDD.

My computer should show all 3 partitions, but they will appear to be
seperate drives.
**SS**

John Holmes

Kirsty blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
> 20GB hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the
> C: drive, it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as
> it was used at work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he
> feels sure it would have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of
> the pc it IT technician has written the spec and this includes the
> line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is it possible that there are two more
> hard drives hidden away somewhere? If so, how do I check if these
> exist?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kirsty.

Assuming you are running xp or 2000, right click my computer, manage, disk
management. It'll tell you all about the disks and partitions in the
machine. Oh, and ignore old jon, he's a heavy drinker and probably stone-
drunk at this hour.

--
Your mother was a miserable airhead who was exhibited in a freak-show in
disused mines.

Emrys Davies

"old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsRN1f.21820$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vSN1f.6585$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has

> > 20GB
> > hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
> > drive,
> > it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was

used at
> > work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it

would
> > have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT

technician
> > has
> > written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'.

Is it
> > possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere?

If
> > so,
> > how do I check if these exist?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Kirsty.
> >

> Google for, and D\load `Everest Home`. Install and run it. It will

tell you
> everything
> about your computer. (for free).
> best wishes..OJ

Kirsty,

When you have downloaded Everest Home check under Storage > Logical
Drives.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Kirsty

"old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsRN1f.21820$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vSN1f.6585$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
> > 20GB
> > hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
> > drive,
> > it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used

at
> > work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it

would
> > have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician
> > has
> > written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is

it
> > possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If
> > so,
> > how do I check if these exist?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Kirsty.
> >

> Google for, and D\load `Everest Home`. Install and run it. It will tell

you
> everything
> about your computer. (for free).
> best wishes..OJ

Thanks for your quick reply! I downloaded Everest onto this pc (not the new
one) just to check it out - it does what I need, so when I have time
tomorrow I'll hook the other one up to the modem and find out all about it.

Thanks again,
Kirsty.

Kirsty

"Secret Squiddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4347acab$0$22097$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vSN1f.6585$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
> > 20GB
> > hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
> > drive,
> > it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used

at
> > work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it

would
> > have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician
> > has
> > written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is

it
> > possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If
> > so,
> > how do I check if these exist?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Kirsty.

> Sounds like the 1 Hard drive is partitioned into three. 19GB would be

about
> right for a "20GB" HDD.
>
> My computer should show all 3 partitions, but they will appear to be
> seperate drives.
> **SS**

(Apologies for just sending this to your email instead of the group by
mistake.)

That's interesting - on mine it definitely only shows the 2GB drive. If
indeed it is one drive partitioned into three, does anyone know if there is
a way to 'un-partition' it so it just shows one larger drive instead of
three small ones?

Kirsty.

WormWood

"Secret Squiddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4347acab$0$22097$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vSN1f.6585$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has
>> a 20GB
>> hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
>> drive,
>> it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was
>> used at
>> work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it
>> would
>> have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT
>> technician has
>> written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'.
>> Is it
>> possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere?
>> If so,
>> how do I check if these exist?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Kirsty.

> Sounds like the 1 Hard drive is partitioned into three. 19GB would be
> about right for a "20GB" HDD.
>
> My computer should show all 3 partitions, but they will appear to be
> seperate drives.
> **SS**

I agree.

old jon

"John Holmes" <nospam@****ithard.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kirsty blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
>> 20GB hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the
>> C: drive, it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as
>> it was used at work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he
>> feels sure it would have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of
>> the pc it IT technician has written the spec and this includes the
>> line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is it possible that there are two more
>> hard drives hidden away somewhere? If so, how do I check if these
>> exist?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Kirsty.
>>

> Assuming you are running xp or 2000, right click my computer, manage, disk
> management. It'll tell you all about the disks and partitions in the
> machine. Oh, and ignore old jon, he's a heavy drinker and probably stone-
> drunk at this hour.

Will you behave JH. And I know all about your mother too. <G>.
OJ
> --
> Your mother was a miserable airhead who was exhibited in a freak-show in
> disused mines.

Peptide One

Kirsty wrote the following on 10/8/2005 4:52 AM:
> "Secret Squiddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4347acab$0$22097$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Kirsty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:vSN1f.6585$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
>>>20GB
>>>hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
>>>drive,
>>>it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used

> at
>
>>>work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it

> would
>
>>>have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician
>>>has
>>>written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is

> it
>
>>>possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If
>>>so,
>>>how do I check if these exist?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>Kirsty.

>>Sounds like the 1 Hard drive is partitioned into three. 19GB would be

> about
>
>>right for a "20GB" HDD.
>>
>>My computer should show all 3 partitions, but they will appear to be
>>seperate drives.
>>**SS**
>>

> (Apologies for just sending this to your email instead of the group by
> mistake.)
>
> That's interesting - on mine it definitely only shows the 2GB drive. If
> indeed it is one drive partitioned into three, does anyone know if there is
> a way to 'un-partition' it so it just shows one larger drive instead of
> three small ones?
>
> Kirsty.

That would require either Partition Magic:
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
or using fdisk.

--
Beauty is only epithelial cells deep.