Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Howto: Undo/Change "Always Open With" in XP

Howto: Undo/Change "Always Open With" in XP

arsenic0@gmail.com

So my father has a digital camera. And i forgot to set it so that when
he plugs in the Camera and turns it on that it always goes to the
Camera software to transfer it. Usually it would open up the what do
you want to open this with and you would select it, i forgot to click
the "always use this" box and it seems that he clicked it and selected
Explorer..which is not what we want.

How do we undo this so the thing doesnt always open up in Explorer? It
comes up as a drive in XP.

docmill

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> always use this

Try this_-__-_-___

left-click on the item to highlite it, then hold the shift key and right-
click and see if Open With is available.

and go here for more info
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_f.htm

--
**************SEND ME A LINK******************
Docmill's "Home Of Hotlinks In the FryingSpam"

Trax

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>So my father has a digital camera. And i forgot to set it so that when
|>he plugs in the Camera and turns it on that it always goes to the
|>Camera software to transfer it. Usually it would open up the what do
|>you want to open this with and you would select it, i forgot to click
|>the "always use this" box and it seems that he clicked it and selected
|>Explorer..which is not what we want.
|>
|>How do we undo this so the thing doesnt always open up in Explorer? It
|>comes up as a drive in XP.

Plug in the Camera, in explorer right click on the directory that is
the camera, properties, In autoplay hope your software is listed.

--
And why I fly fishing
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/w...15748.stm?html

arsenic0@gmail.com

Nope doesnt have an Open with. It shows up as a drive not a camera,
its basically showing similar to a USB Thumbstick or Flash Drive.

arsenic0@gmail.com

The Autoplay feature does not change anything, i tried it but when its
a 'mixed' content it doesnt ask me like its supposed too according to
that window..which leads me to believe thats not what i need to set.

PsiliPharm PsiliPharm is offline
Junior Member

I had a customer with a problem like this:

I first searched the web for fixes and didn't find any workable solutions. He had a program (Windows Movie Maker, "moviemk.exe") associated with importing his Sony DV Video Camera footage upon connection .... but this was set by mistake ... and he happened to check the box to Always Use the following program. So after finding no good results via Google, I searched the registry (using "regedit" from the "Start/Run" Command) for all entries containing "moviemk.exe" ... ultimately finding the following registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\MSVi deoCameraArrival]
"InitCmdLine"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Movie Maker\\moviemk.exe\" /RECORD"
"ProgID"="Shell.HWEventHandlerShellExecute"
"DefaultIcon"="C:\\Program Files\\Movie Maker\\moviemk.exe,0"
"CLSIDForCancel"="{AB007EC8-E2D4-4664-ACD9-1D059681F3DE}"
"Action"="@C:\\Program Files\\Movie Maker\\wmm2res.dll,-63095"
"Provider"="@C:\\Program Files\\Movie Maker\\wmm2res.dll,-100"

... Above that Entry was another entry for MSTakeNoAction ... well I had the idea of copying the following information from MSTakeNoAction into MSVideoCameraArrival:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\MSTa keNoAction]
"DefaultIcon"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00 ,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00 ,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
53,00,48,00,45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64 ,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,2d,\
00,33,00,33,00,38,00,00,00
"Action"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SHELL32.dll ,-17168"
"Provider"="<TakeNoAction>"
"ProgID"="Shell.AutoplaySpecial"

This initially caused windows to do nothing when the camera was plugged in, but the second time I was given the options of what program to use again. Apparently, this solved the problem for me! (I made sure to export the entry before changing any values, just in case it screwed things up even worse!)

I hope this is coherent enough and a bit helpful to someone.

- PsiliPharm

Sman Sman is offline
Junior Member

I am in big trouble. I had an error come up in OE so I searched forms and I cam up on Microsoft’s web site. It was an error in folders.dbx and it said to change the name and OE made a new folder. Well e moved the folder and accidentally chanced the file with ‘open with’. I cant make it go back in it’s own format. I need some email in that file so can anyone help! I’m running on a 98, Outlook Express.
(E-Mail Removed)

Umer Afridi Umer Afridi is offline
Junior Member
Location: Peshawar (Pakistan)

I want My Open with change.
Plz How?

rawmelody rawmelody is offline
Junior Member

Open
Start>Run>cmd

type (for example): assoc.dat=DAT File

in your case it may be: assoc.exe=Application

use for: assoc.<file extension>=<Name>