Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer Display Shakes: Should I Be Worried?

Reply
Thread Tools

Computer Display Shakes: Should I Be Worried?

 
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2005
Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second, and
then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has increased just
today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is quite old, from the
late 90's, I believe.

Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?

Thanks for any help!

Julie


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rick Merrill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2005
Julie P. wrote:
> Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
> the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second, and
> then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has increased just
> today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is quite old, from the
> late 90's, I believe.
>
> Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Julie
>
>


Do you hear any little 'arcing'/zap noises? My guess is that the
monitor is indeed on its last legs. Get a flat screen replacement asap.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2005

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Julie P. wrote:
>> Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
>> the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second,
>> and then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has
>> increased just today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is
>> quite old, from the late 90's, I believe.
>>
>> Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> Julie
>>
>>

>
> Do you hear any little 'arcing'/zap noises? My guess is that the monitor
> is indeed on its last legs. Get a flat screen replacement asap.


Thanks Rick! no, no zapping noise, although my hard drive has suddenly
become noisy in the past week, and pressing on the tower stops the noise
temporarily.

I have some extra monitors in storage, so I will get some of those.

Why do you recommend a flat screen, by the way?

Julie


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trax
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2005
"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Thanks Rick! no, no zapping noise, although my hard drive has suddenly
|>become noisy in the past week, and pressing on the tower stops the noise
|>temporarily.

Time to take the cover off and tighten all the screws, with special
attention to the HD mounting screws.

--
Music too loud?
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...24-421,00.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2005

"Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>Thanks Rick! no, no zapping noise, although my hard drive has suddenly
> |>become noisy in the past week, and pressing on the tower stops the noise
> |>temporarily.
>
> Time to take the cover off and tighten all the screws, with special
> attention to the HD mounting screws.
>



Thanks pennywise! I should have known.

Julie


 
Reply With Quote
 
Old Gringo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2005
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:41:40 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Without Any Hesitation Julie P. Wrote The Following:

> Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
> the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second, and
> then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has increased just
> today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is quite old, from the
> late 90's, I believe.
>
> Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Julie


If the other for mentioned solutions do not solve your problem, the
symptoms described can also indicate that the low voltage rectifier
is going bad in the monitor. Good Luck.
--
Old Gringo
The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
Freedom For The World 10/7/05 9:50:23 AM
http://www.nuboy-industries.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2005

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:13alr52r4yrnu$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:41:40 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Without Any Hesitation Julie P. Wrote The Following:
>
>> Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
>> the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second,
>> and
>> then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has increased
>> just
>> today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is quite old, from
>> the
>> late 90's, I believe.
>>
>> Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> Julie

>
> If the other for mentioned solutions do not solve your problem, the
> symptoms described can also indicate that the low voltage rectifier
> is going bad in the monitor. Good Luck.



Hi Old Gringo, and thank you. Is that something that I could repair?

Julie


 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2005
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:22:12 GMT, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi Old Gringo, and thank you. Is that something that I could repair?


If you've never opened a monitor before, don't. Bad idea.
--
To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Old Gringo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2005
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:22:12 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Without Any Hesitation Julie P. Wrote The Following:

> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:13alr52r4yrnu$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:41:40 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>> Without Any Hesitation Julie P. Wrote The Following:
>>
>>> Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
>>> the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second,
>>> and
>>> then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has increased
>>> just
>>> today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is quite old, from
>>> the
>>> late 90's, I believe.
>>>
>>> Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help!
>>>
>>> Julie

>>
>> If the other for mentioned solutions do not solve your problem, the
>> symptoms described can also indicate that the low voltage rectifier
>> is going bad in the monitor. Good Luck.

>
>
> Hi Old Gringo, and thank you. Is that something that I could repair?
>
> Julie


It is repairable by a qualified technician, however repair costs will
probably outweigh the cost of a new monitor.
--
Old Gringo
The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
Freedom For The World 10/7/05 10:54:32 AM
http://www.nuboy-industries.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
phrogee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2005

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsWu1f.268$3w.107@trnddc07...
> Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
> the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second,
> and then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has
> increased just today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is
> quite old, from the late 90's, I believe.
>
> Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Julie
>
>


Don't repair it yourself. Scrap it, and use the money for something like a
17" LCD monitor. (A great size for normal use.) Sometimes we just have to
spend a little money.

--
phrogee


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
taking 70-290 should i be scared? What should i expect??? Raymond Munyan MCSE 31 12-01-2004 02:34 PM
How should control images should be handled? ~~~ .NET Ed ~~~ ASP .Net Building Controls 1 11-03-2004 12:30 PM
Display html on another computer instead of local computer Lionel Neo ASP .Net Web Controls 1 10-11-2004 10:55 AM
Cannot get display on computer to display anything Powerbook Computer Support 5 02-26-2004 12:30 AM
My computer gets a black display on boot - will only display in safe mode erslket Computer Support 4 01-19-2004 07:01 AM



Advertisments