Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > wireless card makes laptop mouse "skip"

wireless card makes laptop mouse "skip"

WCH

I'm using a 3com wireless card in a Sony Vaio running XP Pro. Whenever
I have the wireless card active the mouse constantly freezes for a
second, then moves, then freezes, then moves, etc. If I deactivate the
wireless card there is no interference with smooth mouse movement. What
is going on here? What is is about how a wireless card (or maybe THIS
wireless card) works that interferes with the mouse? Not a huge deal
but I'd love to solve this problem.
WC

Trax

WCH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I'm using a 3com wireless card in a Sony Vaio running XP Pro. Whenever
|>I have the wireless card active the mouse constantly freezes for a
|>second, then moves, then freezes, then moves, etc. If I deactivate the
|>wireless card there is no interference with smooth mouse movement. What
|>is going on here? What is is about how a wireless card (or maybe THIS
|>wireless card) works that interferes with the mouse? Not a huge deal
|>but I'd love to solve this problem.

Try this:
Start - Run MSINFO32 <enter>

Look at the hardware resources and see if they share an IRQ, if so you
might need to change one to another IRQ.

--
Music too loud?
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...24-421,00.html

docmill

WCH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eK-

> I'm using a 3com wireless card in a Sony Vaio running XP Pro. Whenever
> I have the wireless card active the mouse constantly freezes for a
> second, then moves, then freezes, then moves, etc. If I deactivate the
> wireless card there is no interference with smooth mouse movement. What
> is going on here? What is is about how a wireless card (or maybe THIS
> wireless card) works that interferes with the mouse? Not a huge deal
> but I'd love to solve this problem.
> WC

When did you add the card? What card is it? What driver is the card using?
Is it a usb mouse? Anything else that you'd love to solve this problem,
can contribute?

--
**************SEND ME A LINK******************
Docmill's "Home Of Hotlinks In the FryingSpam"

WCH

docmill wrote:
> WCH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eK-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>

>>I'm using a 3com wireless card in a Sony Vaio running XP Pro. Whenever
>>I have the wireless card active the mouse constantly freezes for a
>>second, then moves, then freezes, then moves, etc. If I deactivate the
>>wireless card there is no interference with smooth mouse movement. What
>>is going on here? What is is about how a wireless card (or maybe THIS
>>wireless card) works that interferes with the mouse? Not a huge deal
>>but I'd love to solve this problem.
>>WC
>>

> When did you add the card? What card is it? What driver is the card using?
> Is it a usb mouse? Anything else that you'd love to solve this problem,
> can contribute?

The card is a 3com Product #: 3CRPAG175. It's description is 3ComŪ
11a/b/g Wireless PC Card with XJACKŪ Antenna. The mouse in question is
the built-in eraser head-looking pointer that comes on my Sony
(Picturebook, not Vaio, actually). I don't know what driver the card is
using other than it's whatever installed when I added the card. I've
had the card at least six months, by the way, and it's always generated
the mouse skipping.

docmill

WCH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> docmill wrote:
>> WCH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eK-
>> (E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>>I'm using a 3com wireless card in a Sony Vaio running XP Pro.
>>>Whenever I have the wireless card active the mouse constantly freezes
>>>for a second, then moves, then freezes, then moves, etc. If I
>>>deactivate the wireless card there is no interference with smooth
>>>mouse movement. What is going on here? What is is about how a
>>>wireless card (or maybe THIS wireless card) works that interferes
>>>with the mouse? Not a huge deal but I'd love to solve this problem.
>>>WC
>>>

>> When did you add the card? What card is it? What driver is the card
>> using? Is it a usb mouse? Anything else that you'd love to solve
>> this problem, can contribute?
>>

> The card is a 3com Product #: 3CRPAG175. It's description is 3ComŪ
> 11a/b/g Wireless PC Card with XJACKŪ Antenna. The mouse in question
> is the built-in eraser head-looking pointer that comes on my Sony
> (Picturebook, not Vaio, actually). I don't know what driver the card
> is using other than it's whatever installed when I added the card.
> I've had the card at least six months, by the way, and it's always
> generated the mouse skipping.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M20E16FEB
The only drivers is see for that card are 2 years old. Is there a ? in the
device manager page by either of the two? You should see if there is a
conflict when you look. I would remove the card from device manager and
then point the driver to the newest one you can find after the hardware
wizard comes back. That may mean downloading a new one fron 3-com. If the
hardware wizard doesn't show up, pull the card, reboot and the put it back
in while shut down.