Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Odd things happening to my computer (graphics card related)

Odd things happening to my computer (graphics card related)

SonicMonkey

Hello

Well let me get right to the point. I was playing a game and running
morphues and downloading some stuff. Morph crashed but was still in
the task manager so I decided to close it form there and reboot. I
reboot and I get 4 beeps and a saying that no power cord is connected
to my graphics card. So I turn all the power off and re-start it, it
boots up into window and says that there is no ati card present so no
drivers will be loaded. So I turn if off again and open the case I see
the power cord I connected about a month ago still firmly in place and
decide to swap it. I turn it on gain and the power is back. Now I
would say it was a bad power supply but I just like just replaced it
with an ultra 500w. So I'm thinking it still might be a bad PS but I'm
getting a memory error every now and then, which leads me to think it
might be the graphics card.

Computer
Mobo: Asus a7n8x-e deluxe
CUP: AMD 3200 XP (400fsb)C
Mem: Curtail 2x512 twinX ram pc 3200
HD: Maxtor diamond max 200 GB sata
Graphic card: ATI X800 XL
Sound Card: Audigy Value
Power Supply: Ultra 500W

5 fans tons of air flow
case temp 28
cpu temp 52 max

Thanks
Scott

Mike Easter

SonicMonkey wrote:

> reboot and I get 4 beeps and a saying that no power cord is connected
> to my graphics card.

> power off and re-start it, it
> boots up into window and says that there is no ati card present so no
> drivers will be loaded.

Intermittent graphics card failure?

> So I turn if off again and open the case I see
> the power cord I connected about a month ago still firmly in place and
> decide to swap it.

I don't understand that sentence. What power cord did you see inside
the case?

> would say it was a bad power supply but I just like just replaced it
> with an ultra 500w. So I'm thinking it still might be a bad PS but I'm
> getting a memory error every now and then, which leads me to think it
> might be the graphics card.

Intermittent or inconsistent hardware problems are a bitch.

My suspect is the graphics card.

--
Mike Easter

SonicMonkey

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 23:34:53 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>SonicMonkey wrote:
>

>> So I turn if off again and open the case I see
>> the power cord I connected about a month ago still firmly in place and
>> decide to swap it.

>I don't understand that sentence. What power cord did you see inside
>the case?

Sorry, I turned off the computer again and opened the case. I could
see the power cable connected to the graphics card and it wasn't lose
or not on fully. so I changed around the power cords in the case to
see if that would work.

Hope that makes more Spence