Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HTML v/s plain text

HTML v/s plain text

Silvabod

XP/SP2Home, OE6, with all critical updates automatically loaded (and no
errors)

In OE6 settings, I have "mail" as HTML, "news" as Plain Text, advanced
setting Uencode - both mail and news on 12pt Arial.

Occasionally, when replying to a post, I get a warning that ng may not like
HTML, option to cancel or continue. What's causing this, please? The
settings do not change.
Silvabod.

Gordon

"Silvabod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fBQ0f.433$(E-Mail Removed)
> XP/SP2Home, OE6, with all critical updates automatically loaded (and
> no errors)
>
> In OE6 settings, I have "mail" as HTML, "news" as Plain Text, advanced
> setting Uencode - both mail and news on 12pt Arial.
>
> Occasionally, when replying to a post, I get a warning that ng may
> not like HTML, option to cancel or continue. What's causing this,
> please? The settings do not change.
> Silvabod.

You are replying to a post that has been composed in HTML.

The Old Sourdough

In news:fBQ0f.433$(E-Mail Removed), "Silvabod"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> XP/SP2Home, OE6, with all critical updates automatically loaded (and
> no errors)
>
> In OE6 settings, I have "mail" as HTML, "news" as Plain Text, advanced
> setting Uencode - both mail and news on 12pt Arial.
>
> Occasionally, when replying to a post, I get a warning that ng may not
> like HTML, option to cancel or continue. What's causing this, please?
> The settings do not change.
> Silvabod.

Make sure that under Tools>Options>Send that "Reply to messages using the
format in which they were sent." is NOT checked.

--
The Old Sourdough
May 4 psychic engineers release genetically-mutated animals in your

Mitch

In article <fBQ0f.433$(E-Mail Removed)>, Silvabod
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In OE6 settings, I have "mail" as HTML, "news" as Plain Text, advanced
> setting Uencode - both mail and news on 12pt Arial.

You shouldn't allow HTML to load in any incoming mail (you also
shouldn't be using the 'preview pane').
For almost everybody, sending HTML is pointless, too -- do you actually
use the added formatting features, and do they really add to your
message? (I would say they don't add anything no matter what.)

Silvabod

Thanks, Gordon, Old SD and Mitch - have corrected the "untick" in "reply
using format sent", which I had overlooked (now I know that over-rides the
format setting).
Not sure about the HTML in incoming messages, to date have had no probs (and
am pretty secure) - would you expand on thw "why not"? please
Silvabod
"Silvabod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fBQ0f.433$(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP/SP2Home, OE6, with all critical updates automatically loaded (and no
> errors)
>
> In OE6 settings, I have "mail" as HTML, "news" as Plain Text, advanced
> setting Uencode - both mail and news on 12pt Arial.
>
> Occasionally, when replying to a post, I get a warning that ng may not
> like HTML, option to cancel or continue. What's causing this, please? The
> settings do not change.
> Silvabod.

Mike Easter

Silvabod wrote:

> Thanks, Gordon, Old SD and Mitch - have corrected the "untick" in
> "reply using format sent", which I had overlooked (now I know that
> over-rides the format setting).

That post's sentence which was topposted over your own untrimmed
original message should have been contextualized in a reply so as to
make a conversation which included the Old Sourdough instruction cited
just below advising to uncheck reply using format sent just above this
reply of yours..

<Old Sourdough> Make sure that under Tools>Options>Send that "Reply to
messages using the format in which they were sent." is NOT checked.

> Not sure about the HTML in incoming messages, to date have had no
> probs (and am pretty secure) - would you expand on thw "why not"?
> please

This remark and question request should have been positioned underneath
the Mitch remark you were talking about. The positioning and trimming
should be 'contextualizing' your posts so that each makes sense and
isn't isolated and addressing 'nothing'.

By positioning your words under his, they make more sense...

<Mitch> You shouldn't allow HTML to load in any incoming mail (you also
shouldn't be using the 'preview pane').

<Silvabod> Not sure about the HTML in incoming messages, to date have
had no probs (and am pretty secure) - would you expand on thw "why not"?
please

.... except that it doesn't look like what I've posted above when you use
your newsreader correctly to create the cite or quote marks.

Also, if you trim and contextualize it makes it possible for Mitch to
continue the/his conversation in an ongoing trimmed and contextualized
fashion.

See this link http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html Quoting
Style in Newsgroup Postings

--
Mike Easter

Mitch

In article <JPX0f.14703$(E-Mail Removed)>, Silvabod
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Not sure about the HTML in incoming messages, to date have had no probs (and
> am pretty secure) - would you expand on thw "why not"? please

It's simple --
when you load HTML, it gets the images from the SENDER'S SERVER.
So all they have to do is create a unique URL for your message, include
a tiny little nothing graphic you wouldn't even notice, and as soon as
your mail software loads that message they get a notice that you opened
it (because that particular image URL was requested, you see).

There are all kinds of potential hazards in this, some of which may not
even be used, or not in the way they are most dangerous. At minimum,
they verified that your address works, and you open spam. They learn a
little bit more about you, like your OS and current IP address. In one
more step, they could load a cookie to help track your Web site visits,
or even install spyware onto your system.

From the opposite perspective, there's little reason to allow HTML
and newsletters you have permitted from retailers or companies). You
don't have to wait for the garbage to load. And in all mail program I
know of, it's simple to load the parts for messages you would like to
see. It's a simple button in my reader, which appears only for HTML
messages that have stuff to load yet.

Silvabod

Thanks Mitch - clear simple explanation. I will edit OE setup to accept
plain text only, now I understand why!
Silvabod.

news:051020051253269940%(E-Mail Removed)...