Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File transfer XP to XP

File transfer XP to XP

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I just bought a new laptop and would like to transfer files from my desktop. I
see the file transfer wizard, but I'd like to know what cable I need for the
job. Is it the type cable that connects my cable modem to my desktop, and I just
run it from one computer to the other? After that I can just follow the wizard.
Thanks.

Gordon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I just bought a new laptop and would like to transfer files from my
> desktop. I see the file transfer wizard, but I'd like to know what
> cable I need for the job. Is it the type cable that connects my cable
> modem to my desktop, and I just run it from one computer to the
> other? After that I can just follow the wizard. Thanks.

if each machine has a network card, then all you need is a network
cross-over cable.

rfdjr1@optonline.net

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:32:40 +0100, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> I just bought a new laptop and would like to transfer files from my
>> desktop. I see the file transfer wizard, but I'd like to know what
>> cable I need for the job. Is it the type cable that connects my cable
>> modem to my desktop, and I just run it from one computer to the
>> other? After that I can just follow the wizard. Thanks.

>if each machine has a network card, then all you need is a network
>cross-over cable.

Okay, thanks. But as I'm not sure on the terminology, is a cross-over cable the
same kind as connects my cable modem to the computer? The one which has what
looks like an oversized telephone jack (RF45 or some such)? A link someone else
sent me to a Microsoft site mentions only parallel and serial cables, and my
laptop has neither connection.

Gordon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:32:40 +0100, "Gordon"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>> I just bought a new laptop and would like to transfer files from my
>>> desktop. I see the file transfer wizard, but I'd like to know what
>>> cable I need for the job. Is it the type cable that connects my
>>> cable modem to my desktop, and I just run it from one computer to
>>> the other? After that I can just follow the wizard. Thanks.

>> if each machine has a network card, then all you need is a network
>> cross-over cable.
>>

> Okay, thanks. But as I'm not sure on the terminology, is a cross-over
> cable the same kind as connects my cable modem to the computer? The
> one which has what looks like an oversized telephone jack (RF45 or
> some such)? A link someone else sent me to a Microsoft site mentions
> only parallel and serial cables, and my laptop has neither connection.

It's a cable that you use to connect a computer to a network, but a special
kind. If you go to any computer accesoty shop and ask for a crossover cable,
they'll know what you mean.

why?

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:36:47 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:32:40 +0100, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m
>>> I just bought a new laptop and would like to transfer files from my
>>> desktop. I see the file transfer wizard, but I'd like to know what
>>> cable I need for the job. Is it the type cable that connects my cable
>>> modem to my desktop, and I just run it from one computer to the
>>> other? After that I can just follow the wizard. Thanks.

>>if each machine has a network card, then all you need is a network
>>cross-over cable.
>>

>Okay, thanks. But as I'm not sure on the terminology, is a cross-over cable the

A crossover connects 2 similar devices together (PC-PC) and only 2.

See the diagram on the right,
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable5.htm
A patch cable is the diagram on the left.

See the color diagrams, a bit further down on that page.

Both have RJ45 connectors (really should be called a 8P8C modular plug)

Both can be the same cable, UTP ,unshielded twisted pair.

It's only the difference in the position of a few wires that make a
cable a crossover.

>same kind as connects my cable modem to the computer? The one which has what

Same type of cable, don't know what type you have to confirm. YOu can
determine what type you have by comparing the olors of the wires in the
plugs. If the green/orange doesn't match at both ends you have a
crossover, if they do match it's a patch cable.

Best guess is a modem to computer is a patch cable. You would need to
buy a crossover.

>looks like an oversized telephone jack (RF45 or some such)? A link someone else

It's very different from a telephone jack

>sent me to a Microsoft site mentions only parallel and serial cables, and my
>laptop has neither connection.

A lot of laptops don't have a serial port, but even those I have seen
like that still have a parallel port.

Try here, several articles on DCC - Direct Cable Connection (if you have
the correct ports/cables or if I remember infra-red as well) and
networking , http://www.windowsnetworking.com/

Me

Martik

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just bought a new laptop and would like to transfer files from my
>desktop. I
> see the file transfer wizard, but I'd like to know what cable I need for
> the
> job. Is it the type cable that connects my cable modem to my desktop, and
> I just
> run it from one computer to the other? After that I can just follow the
> wizard.
> Thanks.

Other options:
1. If under 250mb you could email the data to yourself
2. Burn the files to a CD on your desktop
3. Connect both PC's to a router
4. USB HD or memory stick

Edvard Edvard is offline
Junior Member

Recently, I googled out a program called PC File Transfer. I never used this software, but I read that it could transfer files between two computers. I found a review on-line (sorry, I can't remember the link, you can Google for it though) that said it worked. I read that this program could work both in the direct connection mode and in the account one. If somebody try it, let us know if it's worth of attention.