Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mac computers

Mac computers

Seatoller

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 06:48:00 +0000, Mitch wrote:

> In article <EcH0f.8393$(E-Mail Removed)>, Toolman Tim
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Blood Money wrote:

>> > Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.

>> Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little
>> incentive for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack that
>> platform.

> Let me suggest a perspective on this: there are plenty of Windows users
> who have convinced themselves they HATE the Mac OS. No reason -- they just
> didn't want to use it. Mac users hear it all the time.
> Do you seriously suggest that virus writers would not want to write Mac
> viruses just because it would only hurt Mac users?
>
> The attitude suggests to me that there are many users out there who would
> revel in writing Mac viruses and doing as much damage as they could to the
> Mac platform.
> There are, presumably, malicious Mac users as well. There are programmers
> for the many programming methods that Mac OS supports aside from Mac
> software -- Java, Unix, javascript and scripting, Visual Basic, and
> whatever.
>
> The lack of threat to Mac users isn't an illusion. For many years, right
> now, and for the foreseeable future, Mac users just don't have to worry
> about those problems.
>
> Why isn't that enough to make a major point in the Mac's favor?

The same thing can be said of linux.

Seatoller

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 06:30:50 +0000, Mitch wrote:

> In article <N0H0f.2325$ir4.1582@edtnps90>, Fred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here own a Mac?
>>
>> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
>> price?
>>

> Don't have to deal with Windows, and that is a REAL benefit. Don't have to
> spend so much to keep it running, even with upgrades. Everything works.
> don't have to spend ANY time getting anything to run. NOTHING to get in
> the way of safe, secure, and effective use of the computer -- like
> viruses, security issues, frequent incompatibilities, etc.

The same can be said of linux.

> Now where did you get the idea of the price difference? I figure I'm
> paying around ten percent more than a comparable Windows computer.
> Just ten percent to avoid using Windows? No question! Twenty percent?
> Thirty percent? NO QUESTION AT ALL!

Linux can be installed on any PC, unlike MAC which has to use MAC hardware.
Furthermore, as you can download linux distros for free, it's the cheapest
of all OSs.

joevan

On 5 Oct 2005 09:06:43 GMT, elaich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:041020052048219630%(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> For many years, right now, and for the foreseeable future, Mac users
>> just don't have to worry about those problems.

>Windows users don't have to worry about them either if they educate
>themselves. The problem is that 99% of Windows users are morons.

I know a few of those morons. Actually probably more than a few.
Prolly every other person who buys a dell today would fit that
category. But what percentage of Mac users fit that category?

and for the same reason."

programmer

Fred wrote:
> Does anyone here own a Mac?
>
> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
> price?

Mac is bought only by the Apple die hard fans. They just do not want to
accept that there is something better than their beloved Mac. The Mac
community thrives in deluding themselves that Apple is the one and only
solution to all thier problems. I have personally not used Mac for anything
serious but the little time I spent using it I got seriously bugged. Never
will I touch it again.

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, programmer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Fred wrote:
> > Does anyone here own a Mac?
> >
> > Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
> > price?

> Mac is bought only by the Apple die hard fans.

And thousands of large and small businesses, many schools of every
stripe, and millions of home users... not just by die-hard fans.

> They just do not want to
> accept that there is something better than their beloved Mac.

You are referring to what? You can't be thinking of Windows!

> The Mac
> community thrives in deluding themselves that Apple is the one and only
> solution to all thier problems.

You think? Apple fans believe Apple is the solution to all things, huh?

It isn't just that they would rather use Mac OS than Windows?
It isn't that they actually LIKE the products or the company?
Are you sure you have to describe them as deluded?

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Seatoller
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The same thing can be said of linux.

Perhaps. That doesn't diminish the appeal of the feature in Mac OS, but
it does make you wonder why Windows is still so vulnerable, and why
people accept that.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Linux can be installed on any PC, unlike MAC which has to use MAC hardware.

True enough. Although there are Linux distros for Mac hardware, too.
But this isn't much of a negative, since many people actually like Mac
hardware, you know.

> Furthermore, as you can download linux distros for free, it's the cheapest
> of all OSs.

Yes, although most would say those aren't ready for the mainstream user.
I certainly hope they get better -- competition would really help the
average user here.
There is also a lot of great hardware in the PC world -- that hasn't
always been the case.
I can't believe it took so long to get rid of the ISA bus garbage,
troubleshooting COM problems, crude, huge and slow jacks for legacy
hardware, and that damnable diskette drive.

Trax

Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Seatoller
|><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|>
|>> The same thing can be said of linux.

|>Perhaps. That doesn't diminish the appeal of the feature in Mac OS, but
|>it does make you wonder why Windows is still so vulnerable, and why
|>people accept that.

The IBM and 8080 series chips is the worst chip to of made it out of
the herd, it doesn't like to multi task, you have to keep throwing ram
at it to work well. Graphics is also a weak spot, it was never
intended to be a game chip, or run graphic intensive programs.

It made it for one reason, it has always been backward compatible,
until recently no matter what chip you had you could still run older
software.

Other systems you could lose a big chunk of your software library on a
chip upgrade.

Because of this backward compatibility the vast majority of people had
IBM PC's when Windows 95 came, out giving it\them multi tasking and a
GUI, it just snowball'd from there.

And you can't discount marketing either, OS2 was out before Windows
but the general public never knew it existed. In fact I read that OS2
died just a few months ago.

The fact that Windows is so vulnerable doesn't play into it, it's the
OS of the mass's (sheep) it's what everybody else is using. And you
can't ignore the huge third party software base.

--
Ever wonder what the rest of the world is searching for?
http://tinyurl.com/6ow99

Mitch

In article <JaL0f.1745$yS6.1201@clgrps12>, Fred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Now where did you get the idea of the price difference?
> > I figure I'm paying around ten percent more than a comparable Windows
> > computer.
> > Just ten percent to avoid using Windows? No question!
> > Twenty percent? Thirty percent? NO QUESTION AT ALL!

> A 17" LCD imac is $1299 compared to a 17" CRT system from Dell at $399. Add
> another $100 for the LCD and you are at 2.5x the price. The lowest tower
> price from apple is $2000 albiet a dual w/o a monitor but that is still 5x
> the price.

Oh-kay, but what are you getting in that low-end Dell? Certainly not a
comparable unit! And I'll forgive you, but that low-end Dell would
certainly NEVER compare well to the minitower Mac (or a minitower of
Dell's or most Windows PC makers!)

Here is an editorial focusing on the Mac mini and a low-end Dell; not
entirely unbiased, to be sure, but the specifics are useful:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...andoranges/ind
ex.php
http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...andoranges2/in
dex.php
http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...andoranges3/in
dex.php

This one was a general 'what's good today' survey, but featured the
mini again very favorably. Cheapest PC here is $1205, but with
KB/monitor.
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,120596,00.asp

A bizarre article where the author gives best value tips to Linux,
kudos to Mac for better features, better ease of use, better design...
yet figures Windows is still in the running because businesses won't
like the change, and IT departments aren't used to it?
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/42728.html
But how can he say Tiger is vastly better at networking, far more
secure, and yet would still be more difficult than Windows? I've
connected Windows machines to networks -- I wouldn't consider any step
of it to be easier. He must be thinking it would be easier than a
mixed-platform network?

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, elaich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:041020052048219630%(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > For many years, right now, and for the foreseeable future, Mac users
> > just don't have to worry about those problems.

> Windows users don't have to worry about them either if they educate
> themselves.

I think you are saying the threat is minimized if you take a lot of
precautions -- antivirus software, anti-spyware software, updating both
frequently, having both run frequently (or, according to many here,
constantly).
Even with those, it is common for things to get by -- say, an
attachment from a friend that gets opened from e-mail. Windows
computers get infected. Things have to be done after to rid them of
those.
Obviously, not having to do any of that at all is much simpler.

(I don't count the firewall, even though it needs to be added to
Windows -- everyone connected to a network should have a firewall, even
under Mac OS or Linux.)

> The problem is that 99% of Windows users are morons.

I'm not going to suggest Mac users have any different intelligence.
But since they don't have to learn about those tragically damaging
threats, or deal with them in any way, there is a natural benefit.