Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I tell my laptop to use the external keyboard?

How do I tell my laptop to use the external keyboard?

glassofwhine

Hi
I use my laptop a lot and am getting some carpal tunnel effects. I got
a keyboard (and monitor!) from freecycle (such an amazing community)
but when I plug them in, nothing happens. How do I adjust settings so
that my IBM Thinkpad laptop knows to use the external keyboard and
monitor instead of internal ones? I tried 'Control Panel - add
hardware' without success.
Help?
Thanks
Lisa

why?

On 4 Oct 2005 12:10:26 -0700, glassofwhine wrote:

>Hi
>I use my laptop a lot and am getting some carpal tunnel effects. I got
>a keyboard (and monitor!) from freecycle (such an amazing community)
>but when I plug them in, nothing happens. How do I adjust settings so
>that my IBM Thinkpad laptop knows to use the external keyboard and

Any particular model of Thinkpad?

What operating system?

Is it a USB flat connector or PS/2 round connector for the keyboard?

For the monitor -

You need to find the 'Fn' key and another key with the same color text
that has a monitor icon on it. When you press Fn (hold it down) and
press the key with the monitor logo (or it says CRT/LCD), it should
switch between -

internal LCD - external video - both

From www.google.com found
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4YQHUC
says

Toggle between the internal LCD display and an external CRT display by
pressing the Fn and F7 keys simultaneously on the ThinkPad keyboard.
Notes:

* The Presentation Director menu window may interfere with the
functionality of the Fn and F7 keystroke.
* There are generally three display mode settings to toggle through
(LCD, CRT, and both).
* Some ThinkPad models only support two display modes. CRT only or
LCD only.

>monitor instead of internal ones? I tried 'Control Panel - add

Also found this for a keyboard,
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4YQKLQ
there is a section - Test the keyboard for errors

>hardware' without success.
>Help?
>Thanks
>Lisa

Me

Kenny

Didn't even know that freecycle existed or what it is. It certainly looks
interesting and useful.

--

Kenny Cargill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 4 Oct 2005 12:10:26 -0700, glassofwhine wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>I use my laptop a lot and am getting some carpal tunnel effects. I got
>>a keyboard (and monitor!) from freecycle (such an amazing community)
>>but when I plug them in, nothing happens. How do I adjust settings so
>>that my IBM Thinkpad laptop knows to use the external keyboard and

> Any particular model of Thinkpad?
>
> What operating system?
>
> Is it a USB flat connector or PS/2 round connector for the keyboard?
>
> For the monitor -
>
> You need to find the 'Fn' key and another key with the same color text
> that has a monitor icon on it. When you press Fn (hold it down) and
> press the key with the monitor logo (or it says CRT/LCD), it should
> switch between -
>
> internal LCD - external video - both
>
> From www.google.com found
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4YQHUC
> says
>
> Toggle between the internal LCD display and an external CRT display by
> pressing the Fn and F7 keys simultaneously on the ThinkPad keyboard.
> Notes:
>
> * The Presentation Director menu window may interfere with the
> functionality of the Fn and F7 keystroke.
> * There are generally three display mode settings to toggle through
> (LCD, CRT, and both).
> * Some ThinkPad models only support two display modes. CRT only or
> LCD only.
>
>>monitor instead of internal ones? I tried 'Control Panel - add

> Also found this for a keyboard,
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4YQKLQ
> there is a section - Test the keyboard for errors
>
>>hardware' without success.
>>Help?
>>Thanks
>>Lisa

> Me

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
glassofwhine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How do I adjust settings so
> that my IBM Thinkpad laptop knows to use the external keyboard and
> monitor instead of internal ones? I tried 'Control Panel - add
> hardware' without success.

Why does it have to turn off the keyboard? Doesn't teh atteched one
work?

Gordon

"glassofwhine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> Hi
> I use my laptop a lot and am getting some carpal tunnel effects. I
> got a keyboard (and monitor!) from freecycle (such an amazing
> community) but when I plug them in, nothing happens.

The keyboard should work without you doing anything at all. It might be that
the keyboard doesn't work. Try another one that you know works. (They are
VERY cheap to buy new by the way.......)

glassofwhine

Hi.

The FN/F7 seem to be the monitor switch; seems I just need longer
screws for the pin connector as it won't stay attached to back of
laptop.
And I will need to get external mouse used somewhere (oops, forgot
about that).

The keyboard has a round connector. I think the Thinkpad is T2 (or
could be T1?)
Operating system is Windows 2000.

I couldn't get any effect out of the 'test the keyboard for errors', in
terms of recognizing another keyboard.

I just noticed that someone here posted the external keyboard may be
broken. Perhaps that's the problem. Maybe incentive for me to buy an
angled-hands ergo. keyboard, and see if I can get it to work with the
laptop.

Lisa
And re: Freecycle, yes, a neat community - likely exists in most of
your communities. The Craigslist / Barter is useful, too!

jeff elohim jeff elohim is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassofwhine
Hi
I use my laptop a lot and am getting some carpal tunnel effects. ...
Thanks
Lisa
RE ct effects: Prevention and recovery naturally is always best.
Everyone I've met that had the surgery regretted it within 2 years.
No one who has tried the vitamins regrets it. How about that?!
Google for more info and check Maureen Salaman's "Answers.." book.
Or any other good book on natural normal healthy prevention and recovery.
(Health care under the ama isn't allowed to tell you by law I think;$$$$uknow)

salisha salisha is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

I'm pretty computer illiterate so please be kind.

I'm having a similar issue. I can't get my external keyboard to work with my laptop (Asus F3Sc). I have checked the keyboard on another computer and it works fine. Windows XP is also recognising the keyboard and is telling me that it is installed.

I think the problem may be in the connector, PS/2 (I assume, round one with 6 pins) to USB, however when I plug a PS/2 mouse into either slot (it has a seperate slot to connect mouse and the keyboard) the mouse works fine.

How do I check that I have the right adaptor/connector?

Thanks.

salisha salisha is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

so in addition to above. I can plug a pre-2000 keyboard into the connector/adaptor and the keyboard works fine. Also when i plug the keyboard into the mouse plug the mouse cursor moves when I press certain keys.

What is going on?