Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop GPS with Auto route or dedicated Navigator?

Laptop GPS with Auto route or dedicated Navigator?

Chris

We have a laptop with autoroute on it that we use when navigating through
France and Europe when on holiday. Now that these Tom Tom Sat Navs are
becoming more common I've been thinking about getting one but this has
alerted me to the standalone GPS receivers that simply plug in to the laptop
and work with autoroute at a fraction of the cost. Anyone got any
recommendations, pros and cons?

Scraggy

Chris wrote:
> We have a laptop with autoroute on it that we use when navigating
> through France and Europe when on holiday. Now that these Tom Tom Sat
> Navs are becoming more common I've been thinking about getting one
> but this has alerted me to the standalone GPS receivers that simply
> plug in to the laptop and work with autoroute at a fraction of the
> cost. Anyone got any recommendations, pros and cons?

If you're happy with Autoroute, stay with it. It is much the cheaper option.
You then have the choice between a USB sat receiver(cheapest) or a
Bluetooth, assuming BT on your LT.
Factors you may need to consider.
Power for BT if used.
Metal coatings on some screens mean that an external Ae may be required.

Have a look here

http://www.globalpositioningsystems....736485b48967cb

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

members. Groucho Marx