Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook Express

Outlook Express

Barry

I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer, and when I
setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,, and my out
going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine, now here's the
question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection using AOL, I want to
use OE on it also, with the same charter email address, I did it the same
way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing, smtp.charter.net,, I can receive
email , but I can't send, what did I do wrong?,,,TIA

Blinky the Shark

Barry wrote:
> I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer, and when I
> setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,, and my out
> going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine, now here's the
> question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection using AOL, I want to
> use OE on it also, with the same charter email address, I did it the same
> way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing, smtp.charter.net,, I can receive
> email , but I can't send, what did I do wrong?,,,TIA

Looks like you stuck a bunch of senseless commas where they're not
needed.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Duane Arnold

"Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:esJ%e.86$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer, and
> when I setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,,
> and my out going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine,
> now here's the question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection
> using AOL, I want to use OE on it also, with the same charter email
> address, I did it the same way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing,
> smtp.charter.net,, I can receive email , but I can't send, what did I
> do wrong?,,,TIA

Maybe, the SMTP port that was used and OE was configured for it is not
(TCP 25 the standard for SMTP outbound port) when it was using the dial-
up ISP. Now, you're using cable and the ISP is using the standard TCP 25
SMTP port and OE has not been re-config. Pop3 is TCP port 110 inbound.
Some ISP's at least EarthLink dial-up uses TCP port 587 for SMTP outbound
and OE on my lattop has been config to use that port while I am on the
road using dial-up. It's a shot.

Duane

FML

Barry wrote:
> I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer, and when I
> setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,, and my out
> going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine, now here's the
> question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection using AOL, I want to
> use OE on it also, with the same charter email address, I did it the same
> way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing, smtp.charter.net,, I can receive
> email , but I can't send, what did I do wrong?,,,TIA

You are trying to use Charter's SMPT server while you are not on their
network (you are on AOL's dial up network). Charter doesn't want people
sending SPAM thru their servers so they only allow outgoing mail from
their network thru their servers (SMTP relaying is turned off).

You need to have AOL's smpt server configured as your outgoing server
when using AOL dial up.

why?

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:35:21 -0500, Barry wrote:

>I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer, and when I
>setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,, and my out
>going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine, now here's the
>question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection using AOL, I want to
>use OE on it also, with the same charter email address, I did it the same
>way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing, smtp.charter.net,, I can receive
>email , but I can't send, what did I do wrong?,,,TIA

What's with the extra ,,, you don't need those at the start of the
server names.

You forgot about mail relay across ISPs. As an aid against SPAM you
aren't allowed to send using ISP1email account over ISP2connection.

It would most likely work if you used the AOL email addy and email
server info on the laptop.

What you could try is setup for AOL as the outgoing mail server but
configure the from / reply fields to the charter settings to the mail
goes there.
You may not even be allowed to alter (as the sending addy) that but it's
worth a try.

Me

Dave Lear

"Barry" wrote in message news:esJ%e.86$(E-Mail Removed)

> I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer,
> and when I setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,,
> and my out going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine, now
> here's the question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection using
> AOL, I want to use OE on it also, with the same charter email address, I
> did it the same way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing,
> smtp.charter.net,,
> I can receive email , but I can't send, what did I do wrong?,,,TIA

You receive a SMTP relay blocking error message when you try to send an
e-mail
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=214402

Rule of thumb... an ISP will only allow you to use their SMTP server if
you're using an IP address from their scope of DHCP addresses, i.e. if
you're dialed-in through that ISP.

So, when connected via AOL you can collect your email from any number of
POP3 servers (as you provide username / password credentials for this) but
you can only use AOL's SMTP server to send messages, not Charter's.

Barry

Thanks Dave, that's what I needed to know,,
news:(E-Mail Removed)...