Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Blue coloured text beneath folders.

Blue coloured text beneath folders.

g saul

Hi

I've noticed a few of my folders have blue coloured text beneath them. Not
particularly a problem, but I'm curious to know why and how I return the
text to black. Any ideas please?

The One

g saul bashed at the keyboard and came up with:

> Hi
>
> I've noticed a few of my folders have blue coloured text beneath them.
> Not particularly a problem, but I'm curious to know why and how I return
> the
> text to black. Any ideas please?

They are compressed I think. Just right click and select properties and take
the tick out of the "Compress" box. You can also turn off the highlighting
in Explorer. It may also mean they are encrypted. I cant remember. Long
time since I used M$ software.

Brian

"g saul" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:BlB%e.37118$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Hi
>
> I've noticed a few of my folders have blue coloured text beneath them.

Not
> particularly a problem, but I'm curious to know why and how I return the
> text to black. Any ideas please?

they have been compressed. uncompress them.
right click>>properties>>advanced uncheck 'compress this folder to save
space (or similar).

why?

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:22:09 GMT, g saul wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've noticed a few of my folders have blue coloured text beneath them. Not
>particularly a problem, but I'm curious to know why and how I return the
>text to black. Any ideas please?

I just love this, let's ask for some help and give away as little info
as possible.

Assuming an NT class OS, Nt, 2000, XP, Vista, and the blue colored text
is the filename then - it's because the files are compressed.

You can either -

a) uncompress the files (Win 2000 , others similar, try Start | Help)
Select the Folder and/or file(s) | rignt click (secondary mouse button)
| Properties | Advanced | Compress Contents to save disk space.

b) don't display compressed files in a different color.
Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View | Files and Folders,
untick - Display compressed files and folders with alternate color.

Always , www.google.com

Me

g saul

Thanks folks - worked a treat!!

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:433ee4a8$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "g saul" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:BlB%e.37118$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> Hi
>>
>> I've noticed a few of my folders have blue coloured text beneath them.

> Not
>> particularly a problem, but I'm curious to know why and how I return the
>> text to black. Any ideas please?
>>

> they have been compressed. uncompress them.
> right click>>properties>>advanced uncheck 'compress this folder to save
> space (or similar).

Dave Lear

"g saul" wrote in message
news:BlB%e.37118$(E-Mail Removed). uk

> I've noticed a few of my folders have blue coloured text beneath
> them. Not particularly a problem, but I'm curious to know why
> and how I return the text to black. Any ideas please?

The default colour scheme in Explorer for files / folders on an NTFS
formatted volume is as follows

Blue = Compressed
Green = Encrypted
Black = Neither Compressed or Encrypted

How To Use File Compression in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307987

That article explains about how to compress / de-compress the files or,
alternatively, how to turn off the different colours.

I'd reckon you've been running the Disk Cleanup tool which has an option to
compress files / folders which haven't been used for 90 days (iirc).

Blinky the Shark

Dave Lear wrote:

> The default colour scheme in Explorer for files / folders on an NTFS
> formatted volume is as follows
>
> Blue = Compressed
> Green = Encrypted
> Black = Neither Compressed or Encrypted

And if they're both compressed and encrypted?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Dave Lear

"Blinky the Shark" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

>> The default colour scheme in Explorer for files / folders on an
>> NTFS formatted volume is as follows
>>
>> Blue = Compressed
>> Green = Encrypted
>> Black = Neither Compressed or Encrypted

> And if they're both compressed and encrypted?

Much as I'd like to say "turquoise" they can't be both.

A simplistic explanation for this is...

Encryption works by using repeated patterns within a file.
Compression works by removing repeated patterns within a file.

Encrypting File System overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d..._overview.mspx

FML

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Dave Lear wrote:
>

>>The default colour scheme in Explorer for files / folders on an NTFS
>>formatted volume is as follows
>>
>>Blue = Compressed
>>Green = Encrypted
>>Black = Neither Compressed or Encrypted

> And if they're both compressed and encrypted?

If that could be done, it would be a lovely shade of Cyan (RGB 0,255,255)

why?

On 2 Oct 2005 07:40:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

>Dave Lear wrote:
>
>> The default colour scheme in Explorer for files / folders on an NTFS
>> formatted volume is as follows
>>
>> Blue = Compressed
>> Green = Encrypted
>> Black = Neither Compressed or Encrypted

>And if they're both compressed and encrypted?

It's not allowed, if you tick encrypt it automatically deselects
compressed, so no pretty 4th color.

Me

cross-platform coloured text in terminal Jonathan Hartley Python 4 04-20-2010 12:12 AM
Cross-platform: Coloured text, Networking, Multithreading Tomás Ó hÉilidhe C Programming 34 11-14-2008 09:41 PM
coloured text in console Ghai C++ 4 04-19-2006 10:06 PM
coloured text... sudip C Programming 4 07-07-2005 01:41 AM
Differently Coloured Text in one textual area arun.hallan@gmail.com Java 2 02-11-2005 10:33 AM

Advertisments