Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > damaged file allocation table

damaged file allocation table

ashaw8@gmail.com

I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.
The system boots from an IBM 28Gb drive, which is fine. I use a 200Gb
Seagate as drive D:, for storage of lots of important files.

I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag my Seagate overnight (using the
"optimized" choice, for those familiar with System Mechanics). The next
morning when I tried to open the Seagate with Windows Explorer, I got
the message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted".

I figured my file allocation table had become corrupted in the defrag,
so I booted from my W2K disk to the Recovery Console and used the
"Fixboot d" command. The message coming back said new boot files were
successfully created, as FAT rather than the original NTFS. But when I
try to access the drive with Windows Explorer it shows no files, no
bites.

Before I try something else and mess things up more, I would appreciate
some wise advice. I can find the drive using System Information, and
below is the readout I get. Looks like partition confusion. Ideas? I
appreciate your help!

Drive D:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed False
File System FAT
Size 10.10 MB (10,592,256 bytes)
Free Space 12.00 KB (12,288 bytes)
Volume Name LOCAL DISK
Volume Serial Number Not Available
Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
Partition Size 186.30 GB (200,038,777,344 bytes)
Starting Offset 32256 bytes
Drive Description Disk drive
Drive Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Drive Model ST3200822A
Drive BytesPerSector 512
Drive MediaLoaded True
Drive MediaType Fixed hard disk media
Drive Partitions 1
Drive SCSIBus 0
Drive SCSILogicalUnit 0
Drive SCSIPort 1
Drive SCSITargetId 1
Drive SectorsPerTrack 63
Drive Size 137436203520 bytes
Drive TotalCylinders 16709
Drive TotalSectors 268430085
Drive TotalTracks 4260795
Drive TracksPerCylinder 255

Trax

|>I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.
|> The system boots from an IBM 28Gb drive, which is fine. I use a 200Gb
|>Seagate as drive D:, for storage of lots of important files.
|>
|>I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag my Seagate overnight (using the
|>"optimized" choice, for those familiar with System Mechanics). The next
|>morning when I tried to open the Seagate with Windows Explorer, I got
|>the message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted".

Download and Burn this Hiren's BootCD ISO
http://www.9down.com/modules.php?nam...ticle&sid=2979
Boot up with it, should be something that can help you out.

If you've just happen'd to of saved the boot sector of that drive you
might copy it to the drive (tools on the CD to do this)
Or http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q153973

--
eDonkey Tells Congress It's Throwing in the Towel
http://tinyurl.com/dattt

Fred

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.
> The system boots from an IBM 28Gb drive, which is fine. I use a 200Gb
> Seagate as drive D:, for storage of lots of important files.
>
> I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag my Seagate overnight (using the
> "optimized" choice, for those familiar with System Mechanics). The next
> morning when I tried to open the Seagate with Windows Explorer, I got
> the message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted".
>
> I figured my file allocation table had become corrupted in the defrag,
> so I booted from my W2K disk to the Recovery Console and used the
> "Fixboot d" command. The message coming back said new boot files were
> successfully created, as FAT rather than the original NTFS. But when I
> try to access the drive with Windows Explorer it shows no files, no
> bites.
>
> Before I try something else and mess things up more, I would appreciate
> some wise advice. I can find the drive using System Information, and
> below is the readout I get. Looks like partition confusion. Ideas? I
> appreciate your help!
>
> Drive D:
> Description Local Fixed Disk
> Compressed False
> File System FAT
> Size 10.10 MB (10,592,256 bytes)
> Free Space 12.00 KB (12,288 bytes)
> Volume Name LOCAL DISK
> Volume Serial Number Not Available
> Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
> Partition Size 186.30 GB (200,038,777,344 bytes)
> Starting Offset 32256 bytes
> Drive Description Disk drive
> Drive Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
> Drive Model ST3200822A
> Drive BytesPerSector 512
> Drive MediaLoaded True
> Drive MediaType Fixed hard disk media
> Drive Partitions 1
> Drive SCSIBus 0
> Drive SCSILogicalUnit 0
> Drive SCSIPort 1
> Drive SCSITargetId 1
> Drive SectorsPerTrack 63
> Drive Size 137436203520 bytes
> Drive TotalCylinders 16709
> Drive TotalSectors 268430085
> Drive TotalTracks 4260795
> Drive TracksPerCylinder 255

And where is your backup?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.

> I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag

Profesional implies that you know what you are doing.
See highlighted items below.

> Drive D:

> File System FAT

> Size *10.10 MB* (10,592,256 bytes)

> Free Space *12.00 KB (12,288 bytes)*

> Volume Name LOCAL DISK
> Volume Serial Number Not Available

> Partition Disk #1, Partition #0

> Partition Size 186.30 GB (200,038,777,344 bytes)

philo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.
> The system boots from an IBM 28Gb drive, which is fine. I use a 200Gb
> Seagate as drive D:, for storage of lots of important files.
>
> I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag my Seagate overnight (using the
> "optimized" choice, for those familiar with System Mechanics). The next
> morning when I tried to open the Seagate with Windows Explorer, I got
> the message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted".
>
> I figured my file allocation table had become corrupted in the defrag,
> so I booted from my W2K disk to the Recovery Console and used the
> "Fixboot d" command.

<snip>

Why would you do that...
you are booting from your C: drive ?

If the data is important , then you would have backed it up.
If you did not bother to make a backup...the data was not that important.

Anyway...it's time to use a data recovery utility...
many of them have a free trial

chad@aahh.com

> Anyway...it's time to use a data recovery utility...
> many of them have a free trial

True but the trials usually only locate data but refuse to restore it.
Here is a little collection of some totally free data recovery tools. I
would start with NTFS Reader.

http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

ashaw8@gmail.com

Thanks, Trax. I dl'd it and will look for a solution there this
weekend. I will let you know.
Trax wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> |>I run Windows 2000 Professional, using NTFS on each of two hard drives.
> |> The system boots from an IBM 28Gb drive, which is fine. I use a 200Gb
> |>Seagate as drive D:, for storage of lots of important files.
> |>
> |>I used Iolo System Mechanic to defrag my Seagate overnight (using the
> |>"optimized" choice, for those familiar with System Mechanics). The next
> |>morning when I tried to open the Seagate with Windows Explorer, I got
> |>the message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted".
>

> Download and Burn this Hiren's BootCD ISO
> http://www.9down.com/modules.php?nam...ticle&sid=2979
> Boot up with it, should be something that can help you out.
>
> If you've just happen'd to of saved the boot sector of that drive you
> might copy it to the drive (tools on the CD to do this)
> Or http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q153973
>

> |>I figured my file allocation table had become corrupted in the defrag,
> |>so I booted from my W2K disk to the Recovery Console and used the
> |>"Fixboot d" command. The message coming back said new boot files were
> |>successfully created, as FAT rather than the original NTFS. But when I
> |>try to access the drive with Windows Explorer it shows no files, no
> |>bites.
> |>
> |>Before I try something else and mess things up more, I would appreciate
> |>some wise advice. I can find the drive using System Information, and
> |>below is the readout I get. Looks like partition confusion. Ideas? I
> |>appreciate your help!
> |>
> |>Drive D:
> |>Description Local Fixed Disk
> |>Compressed False
> |>File System FAT
> |>Size 10.10 MB (10,592,256 bytes)
> |>Free Space 12.00 KB (12,288 bytes)
> |>Volume Name LOCAL DISK
> |>Volume Serial Number Not Available
> |>Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
> |>Partition Size 186.30 GB (200,038,777,344 bytes)
> |>Starting Offset 32256 bytes
> |>Drive Description Disk drive
> |>Drive Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
> |>Drive Model ST3200822A
> |>Drive BytesPerSector 512
> |>Drive MediaLoaded True
> |>Drive MediaType Fixed hard disk media
> |>Drive Partitions 1
> |>Drive SCSIBus 0
> |>Drive SCSILogicalUnit 0
> |>Drive SCSIPort 1
> |>Drive SCSITargetId 1
> |>Drive SectorsPerTrack 63
> |>Drive Size 137436203520 bytes
> |>Drive TotalCylinders 16709
> |>Drive TotalSectors 268430085
> |>Drive TotalTracks 4260795
> |>Drive TracksPerCylinder 255
>

> --
> eDonkey Tells Congress It's Throwing in the Towel
> http://tinyurl.com/dattt

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thanks, Trax. I dl'd it and will look for a solution there this
> weekend. I will let you know.
> Trax wrote:

I don't recall seeing results of an fdisk.
What do you see if you fdisk and view the drive?