Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problems after moving Wireless PCI card to different PCI slot

Problems after moving Wireless PCI card to different PCI slot

SFF11

OS: Windows XP SP2
NIC: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card
Router: Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router

I moved the Wireless PCI card to a different PCI slot (on the same PC)
as I installed a WinTV card in its place. When I rebooted the machine
the networking wasn't working so I had to reinstall drivers and
reconfigure. But it won't work with WPA encryption enabled. When I
disable all encryption it works fine (NIC receives data from router)
but when I enable it and it gets its IP, the NIC stops receiving data
from the router (e.g. 16 sent and 0 recieved in Connection Status
screen).

I tried rebooting router, reinstalling NIC & drivers, resetting router,
creating new passcodes, nothing. All the other wireless clients on the
network work fine.

Any fix that saves me from formatting?

TIA

Unk

On 29 Sep 2005 15:59:48 -0700, "SFF11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OS: Windows XP SP2
>NIC: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card
>Router: Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
>
>I moved the Wireless PCI card to a different PCI slot (on the same PC)
>as I installed a WinTV card in its place. When I rebooted the machine
>the networking wasn't working so I had to reinstall drivers and
>reconfigure. But it won't work with WPA encryption enabled. When I
>disable all encryption it works fine (NIC receives data from router)
>but when I enable it and it gets its IP, the NIC stops receiving data
>from the router (e.g. 16 sent and 0 recieved in Connection Status
>screen).
>
>I tried rebooting router, reinstalling NIC & drivers, resetting router,
>creating new passcodes, nothing. All the other wireless clients on the
>network work fine.
>
>Any fix that saves me from formatting?
>
>TIA

Each slot is assigned a different IRQ, and you probably have an IRQ conflict. If possible, put
the card back in it's orininal slot and, for the moment, leave the WinTV card out. See if it
works now.

Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type "msinfo32", without the quotes, and click OK.
Expand "Hardware Resources" and look at "IRQs".
Try to move the WinTV card around so 2 devices don't share the same IRQ number.

Some devices allow you to change their IRQ numbers.
Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Hardware" tab, click the "Device Manager" button,
right-click the NIC, "Properties", click the "Resources" tab, and right-click "IRQ". If it's
changeable, you'll get a menu with the IRQ port numbers. If not, you'll have to change it's
slot on the motherboard.

Quaoar

SFF11 wrote:
> OS: Windows XP SP2
> NIC: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card
> Router: Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
>
> I moved the Wireless PCI card to a different PCI slot (on the same PC)
> as I installed a WinTV card in its place. When I rebooted the machine
> the networking wasn't working so I had to reinstall drivers and
> reconfigure. But it won't work with WPA encryption enabled. When I
> disable all encryption it works fine (NIC receives data from router)
> but when I enable it and it gets its IP, the NIC stops receiving data
> from the router (e.g. 16 sent and 0 recieved in Connection Status
> screen).
>
> I tried rebooting router, reinstalling NIC & drivers, resetting
> router, creating new passcodes, nothing. All the other wireless
> clients on the network work fine.
>
> Any fix that saves me from formatting?
>
> TIA

Google winsockxpfix.exe. It might help with corrupted TCP/IP layered
services.

sff11i@gmail.com

Media Magic Computers, Leeds wrote:
> One of the problems we have come across on newer PC's is the old chestnut of
> using pci slot 3 on any system with an AGP graphics card - (pci slot 3
> counting away from your AGP slot)
>
> System all ok till you change things and you put a NIC or TV card in slot 3
> then all sorts of weird and wonderful problems - is your wireless PCI in
> slot 3 ??
>
> Try your system with the Wireless PCI in any slot BUT slot three and see
> what happens
>
> Regards

The setup is like this:
1. PCI-Express (GeForce 6600)
2. PCI (Wireless NIC)
3. PCI (WinTV)
4. PCI (Sound Card)

No other PCI slots available. I have to put the NIC in 2. because the
GeForce uses a plug from the PSU that would normally restrict any other
PCI card next to it but the NIC is one of those thin ones that are half
size.

Anyway, I formatted but it didn't help, once I enabled WPA encryption
there would be no data recieved from the router and would only work
with all encryption disabled.

So I've unplugged the WinTV card and went back to the old configuration
and everything seems to work again including WPA encryption:
1. PCI-Express (GeForce 6600)
2. PCI (Empty)
3. PCI (Sound Card)
4. PCI (Wireless NIC)

I find it very strange though and it's definitely a motherboard/PCI
problem. I should get rid of the soundcard and use the one built into
the motherboard but the quality of audio isn't good on expensive
headphones

Thanks for the help though.