Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Viewing the logic

Viewing the logic

Jim

Hi,

Is it possible for me to view my VHDL code as a schematic, which shows the
individual components of the system. For example, the synthesis report
informs me that it found various components (flip flops, comparators etc
etc). I would like to see these parts (and how they are connected) in a
diagram. Does anyone know how to do it? I use the Xilinx ISE 4.2i
software.

TIA

Mike Treseler

Jim wrote:

> Is it possible for me to view my VHDL code as a schematic, which shows the
> individual components of the system.

Don't know ISE. Standard Quartus has an "HDL viewer" that would
do what you want. Don't know if the free version has it.
Leo and Synplicity also have similar "rtl" viewers.
My favorite is the Modelsim (with a full license) "dataflow" viewer
that shows each process as a box. Or you can just draw boxes
and wires in your notebook, and verify with simulation.

-- Mike Treseler

The Weiss Family

news:cme5p1$lbs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible for me to view my VHDL code as a schematic, which shows the
> individual components of the system. For example, the synthesis report
> informs me that it found various components (flip flops, comparators etc
> etc). I would like to see these parts (and how they are connected) in a
> diagram. Does anyone know how to do it? I use the Xilinx ISE 4.2i
> software.
>
> TIA

Yes.
In the hierarchy view on the left, under synthesize, there is an option for
"view RTL". That should do it...