Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > external hard drive on windows 98

external hard drive on windows 98

jw 1111

hi, I have just bought an external hard drive and have a CD rom driver
to install it on windows 98 SE on an old p.c.

the driver just stops in the 'install new hardware' wizard. i have
disabled my zone alarm and avg antivirus. any ideas as to what might
be stopping the wizard from proceeding please? grateful for any advice on
how to get it to load up. many thanks

Aquanaut

"jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UW8_e.158$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi, I have just bought an external hard drive and have a CD rom
> driver
> to install it on windows 98 SE on an old p.c.
>
> the driver just stops in the 'install new hardware' wizard. i have
> disabled my zone alarm and avg antivirus. any ideas as to what might
> be stopping the wizard from proceeding please? grateful for any advice
> on how to get it to load up. many thanks

which external harddrive,how are you connecting it,what spec is your
"old" pc?
have you checked the minimum requirements for your new drive install? it
maybe that your box falls short of the mark etc if your box supplies
the power to the external drive maybe you have a shortfall there>

jw 1111

"Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tT9_e.165$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UW8_e.158$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hi, I have just bought an external hard drive and have a CD rom driver
>> to install it on windows 98 SE on an old p.c.
>>
>> the driver just stops in the 'install new hardware' wizard. i have
>> disabled my zone alarm and avg antivirus. any ideas as to what might
>> be stopping the wizard from proceeding please? grateful for any advice on
>> how to get it to load up. many thanks
>>

> which external harddrive,how are you connecting it,what spec is your "old"
> pc?
> have you checked the minimum requirements for your new drive install? it
> maybe that your box falls short of the mark etc if your box supplies the
> power to the external drive maybe you have a shortfall there>

thanks. the pc is an old 233mh processor and has a 3GB hardrive. the
external HDD is samsung 80GB. the leaflet says i need 800 mb space on the
pc hardrive which i have. the ext hdd has two usb plugs which i understand
i have to plug in the red one as well as the other one if i am using it with
a lap top. should i try plugging both in to the pc do you think? many
thanks

Aquanaut

"jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vja_e.653$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tT9_e.165$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:UW8_e.158$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> hi, I have just bought an external hard drive and have a CD rom
>>> driver
>>> to install it on windows 98 SE on an old p.c.
>>>
>>> the driver just stops in the 'install new hardware' wizard. i have
>>> disabled my zone alarm and avg antivirus. any ideas as to what might
>>> be stopping the wizard from proceeding please? grateful for any
>>> advice on how to get it to load up. many thanks
>>>

>> which external harddrive,how are you connecting it,what spec is your
>> "old" pc?
>> have you checked the minimum requirements for your new drive install?
>> it maybe that your box falls short of the mark etc if your box
>> supplies the power to the external drive maybe you have a shortfall
>> there>

> thanks. the pc is an old 233mh processor and has a 3GB hardrive.
> the external HDD is samsung 80GB. the leaflet says i need 800 mb
> space on the pc hardrive which i have. the ext hdd has two usb plugs
> which i understand i have to plug in the red one as well as the other
> one if i am using it with a lap top. should i try plugging both in to
> the pc do you think? many thanks

which model number is the samsung? would like to read the manual.
Are you sure your 233 machine has usb ports?what make machine is it?
My immediate thoughts are that it is probably not possible given the
size of the machine.
more details --model numbers etc.
I am confused at the fact that you have to plug in both usb cables,this
is not normally the case,well not in any i have seen/used.
do not try to plug both into the pc (yet) ---i think you have misread or
not understood something.

jw 1111

"Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6kb_e.709$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vja_e.653$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:tT9_e.165$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:UW8_e.158$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> which external harddrive,how are you connecting it,what spec is your
>>> "old" pc?
>>> have you checked the minimum requirements for your new drive install? it
>>> maybe that your box falls short of the mark etc if your box supplies
>>> the power to the external drive maybe you have a shortfall there>

>> thanks. the pc is an old 233mh processor and has a 3GB hardrive. the
>> external HDD is samsung 80GB. the leaflet says i need 800 mb space on
>> the pc hardrive which i have. the ext hdd has two usb plugs which i
>> understand i have to plug in the red one as well as the other one if i am
>> using it with a lap top. should i try plugging both in to the pc do you
>> think? many thanks
>>>>

> which model number is the samsung? would like to read the manual.
> Are you sure your 233 machine has usb ports?what make machine is it?
> My immediate thoughts are that it is probably not possible given the size
> of the machine.
> more details --model numbers etc.
> I am confused at the fact that you have to plug in both usb cables,this is
> not normally the case,well not in any i have seen/used.
> do not try to plug both into the pc (yet) ---i think you have misread or
> not understood something.

many thanks.
the receipt gives the no: j1oy770184 for the samsung HD. the case for this
is a safecom SUSB2-25CA. it is with the safecom box that the driver came for
win98.

the pc is a nec valuestar nx vc/23 it was a personal import to the u.k.
originally made for the japanese market and originally installed with a
japanese language win95.

when i bought the safecom box the sellar said that if i used it with a lap
top then to plug in the red usb as well as the other one since otherwise the
laptop would not give out enough current to power it. but if plugged into a
desk top there would be enough power so only plug on the one lead.

i do appreciate the help you are giving me with this problem. thanks

Bill

"jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UW8_e.158$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi, I have just bought an external hard drive and have a CD rom driver
> to install it on windows 98 SE on an old p.c.
>
> the driver just stops in the 'install new hardware' wizard. i have
> disabled my zone alarm and avg antivirus. any ideas as to what might
> be stopping the wizard from proceeding please? grateful for any advice on
> how to get it to load up. many thanks

An odd thought I have just had. When installing my USB printer if I plug
the USB connectors in first, before installing the software, it wont
install. I have to install the software THEN connect the printer, it finds
the printer and then installs the drivers from the hardrive.

Have you tried installing the software without connecting the HD.
Bill>

Aquanaut

"jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5qc_e.207$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6kb_e.709$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:vja_e.653$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:tT9_e.165$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> thanks. the pc is an old 233mh processor and has a 3GB hardrive.
>>> the external HDD is samsung 80GB. the leaflet says i need 800 mb
>>> space on the pc hardrive which i have. the ext hdd has two usb
>>> plugs which i understand i have to plug in the red one as well as
>>> the other one if i am using it with a lap top. should i try plugging
>>> both in to the pc do you think? many thanks
>>>>>

>> which model number is the samsung? would like to read the manual.
>> Are you sure your 233 machine has usb ports?what make machine is it?
>> My immediate thoughts are that it is probably not possible given the
>> size of the machine.
>> more details --model numbers etc.
>> I am confused at the fact that you have to plug in both usb
>> cables,this is not normally the case,well not in any i have
>> seen/used.
>> do not try to plug both into the pc (yet) ---i think you have misread
>> or not understood something.

> many thanks.
> the receipt gives the no: j1oy770184 for the samsung HD. the case for
> this is a safecom SUSB2-25CA. it is with the safecom box that the
> driver came for win98.
>
> the pc is a nec valuestar nx vc/23 it was a personal import to the
> u.k. originally made for the japanese market and originally installed
> with a japanese language win95.
>
> when i bought the safecom box the sellar said that if i used it with a
> lap top then to plug in the red usb as well as the other one since
> otherwise the laptop would not give out enough current to power it.
> but if plugged into a desk top there would be enough power so only
> plug on the one lead.
>
> i do appreciate the help you are giving me with this problem. thanks

From the safecom manual--
For the Model No SUSB2-25CA as there is only one Type B USB(Mini USB)
port which is used both for Data transfer and Providing power to the
Caddy, so there is a special cable provided with the caddy which have
three connectors one Type B and two Type A USB connectors (One Red and
One White), now attach the Type B (Mini USB) connector to the Mini USB
Port in the 2.5 USB Caddy and attach the remaining two connectors of the
cable to the USB ports on your computer, the White one is for Data
transfer and the Red one is for Power supply .

jw 1111

news:dhbkjk$j9n$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UW8_e.158$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hi, I have just bought an external hard drive and have a CD rom driver
>> to install it on windows 98 SE on an old p.c.
>>
>> the driver just stops in the 'install new hardware' wizard. i have
>> disabled my zone alarm and avg antivirus. any ideas as to what might
>> be stopping the wizard from proceeding please? grateful for any advice on
>> how to get it to load up. many thanks

> An odd thought I have just had. When installing my USB printer if I plug
> the USB connectors in first, before installing the software, it wont
> install. I have to install the software THEN connect the printer, it
> finds the printer and then installs the drivers from the hardrive.
>
> Have you tried installing the software without connecting the HD.
> Bill>

thanks to all for your kind advice. I have tried it now with both leads and
as many combinations i can think of of plugging device in first, cd driver
in first , etc. it now says it cannot recognize driver......... sigh

Aquanaut

"jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsex_e.437$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dhbkjk$j9n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:UW8_e.158$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> hi, I have just bought an external hard drive and have a CD rom
>>> driver
>>> to install it on windows 98 SE on an old p.c.
>>>
>>> the driver just stops in the 'install new hardware' wizard. i have
>>> disabled my zone alarm and avg antivirus. any ideas as to what might
>>> be stopping the wizard from proceeding please? grateful for any
>>> advice on how to get it to load up. many thanks

>> An odd thought I have just had. When installing my USB printer if I
>> plug the USB connectors in first, before installing the software, it
>> wont install. I have to install the software THEN connect the
>> printer, it finds the printer and then installs the drivers from the
>> hardrive.
>>
>> Have you tried installing the software without connecting the HD.
>> Bill>

> thanks to all for your kind advice. I have tried it now with both
> leads and as many combinations i can think of of plugging device in
> first, cd driver in first , etc. it now says it cannot recognize
> driver......... sigh

Are you unable to read and understand specific instructions in the
manual?
your manual is here if you do not have it
http://safecom.cn/code/sub/manuals.a...id=12&search=1

remove all instances of what you have installed and read and follow the
instructions.

try googling for answers also---kind of self help,there is no crime in
not understanding specifics,but not to try is criminal.

jw 1111

"Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aCB_e.508$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsex_e.437$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dhbkjk$j9n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:UW8_e.158$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> An odd thought I have just had. When installing my USB printer if I
>>> plug the USB connectors in first, before installing the software, it
>>> wont install. I have to install the software THEN connect the printer,
>>> it finds the printer and then installs the drivers from the hardrive.
>>>
>>> Have you tried installing the software without connecting the HD.
>>> Bill>

>> thanks to all for your kind advice. I have tried it now with both leads
>> and as many combinations i can think of of plugging device in first, cd
>> driver in first , etc. it now says it cannot recognize driver.........
>> sigh

> Are you unable to read and understand specific instructions in the manual?
> your manual is here if you do not have it
> http://safecom.cn/code/sub/manuals.a...id=12&search=1
>> remove all instances of what you have installed and read and follow the

> instructions.
>> try googling for answers also---kind of self help,there is no crime in

> not understanding specifics,but not to try is criminal.

many thanks to all. i do my best with reading and with self help; and also i
really do try.
my latest action is that i have gone to add/remove programs and can see
nothing relevant installed there. i went to device manager and saw a red
cross against ps/2 compatible mouse port and deleted that.
then went to add/remove progs and activated add new hardware wizard. it then
said it will search for new plug and play device. it then flashed up
something to quick to read about PS/2 compatible mouse port.

it then said windows has finished installing soft ware necessary to support
software. But when i go to my computer it does not show the HDD drive icon
and when i go to add/remove programs it shows nothing new installed and when
i look at the device manager it has PS/2 compatible mouse port icon added,
but now has a yellow icon with an exclamation mark in it. any further
suggestions very much appreciated. thanks