Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem with RjH Extensions to Windows Explorer

Problem with RjH Extensions to Windows Explorer

Richard Wright

For some months I have had the excellent RjH Extensions successfully
installed on my desktop, running under XP (Home edition). The program
extends the functions of the right mouse button when using Windows
Explorer. You click on a file/files. Allows saving of directory list,
path to clipboard, duplication of files, etc..

Now I have installed it on my Acer laptop, running XP (Home edition).

The program installs without a glitch and is visible under the "Add or
Remove Programs" of Control Panel.

My problem is that right clicking on a file with the mouse does not
show any of the menu options of RjH Extensions, though the
bog-standard Explorer items are there.

I tried uninstalling RjH Extensions and reinstalling. But still
nothing.

Has anybody any suggestions about what the problem might be? I am lost
without the program. Also welcome any suggestions about which
Newsgroup to target.

Johnrw Johnrw is offline
Junior Member

It turns out to be data execution prevention or DEP.

In my case, the laptop that couldn't get rjhExtensions to work was an Intel Centrino HP. My AMD machines ran it fine, but that only seems clear in hindsight. It could have been hundreds of things gone wrong in one laptop's windows.

To get rjhExtensions to work:
Edit the C:\boot.ini (which may be hidden unless you instruct Explorer to show hidden files, all hidden files)

Here is what you may expect to find, or something close...
Code:
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NoExecute=OptIn /fastdetect
...and then changing it to this:
Code:
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NoExecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect
where /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
is the value needed to demonstrate to yourself the cause of your favorite missing utility(or close)

I can't really advise everyone to turn off DEP. I lost alot of time in tracing this one down myself, and was really peeved when I looked in the event logs and there was no mention at all about the processor/os combination refusing to allow this program to run. I was so peeved, I turned off DEP. The best case, would be for people to get the author to make a new version that doesn't have any DEP problems. An even better case would have been for Microsoft to inform me in the event logs, the reason why my program was not working.
That was the deciding factor in my case. I cannot have a feature that breaks things without advising me of the who, what, where and when.

Enjoy!

EDIT: May 30, 07

If you absolutely want DEP, and don't mind turning off DEP for just Explorer.exe, which can possibly turn out to be a very big exception...
the page http://www.updatexp.com/dep-exceptions.html gives a complete example of how to do this. Just substitute C:\windows\system32\explorer.exe for the program example provided there.

That example describes the gui way to use the /noexecute=OptOut option for boot.ini,
and then manually adding a program to the list of allowed applications. If you changed your boot.ini to use /noexecute=AllwaysOff, you
will save some time by changing it to /noexecute=OptOut before you reboot.

Now I have hardware DEP enabled for every other program, except Explorer, and rjhExtensions is working as it does on my other machines.

Last edited by Johnrw; 05-30-2007 at 08:09 AM..

nitejoekerr nitejoekerr is offline
Junior Member

Another option . . . use an alternative file viewer/manager such as Explorer XP. (Available here.) Right-click inside the file list panel. The RJH extensions menu option opens normally.

Last edited by nitejoekerr; 10-14-2008 at 02:41 PM..

male.johnc male.johnc is offline
Junior Member

I have just installed rjh Extensions on a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop with Windows Vista Home Premium and Service Pack 1, 32 bit. Right-clicking brings up only the standard Windows Explorer options. I've had no similar problem with other computers using Windows XP. Any advice will be most gratefully received.

userboy userboy is offline
Junior Member

[QUOTE=Johnrw]It turns out to be data execution prevention or DEP.

I'd like to thank Johnrw, wherever he may be at this late date, for his apparently unique advice on getting good ol' rjhExtensions running on problematic machines. On some PCs running Vista, DEP appears happy enough with rjhExtensions; on others, it sufficed to have DEP ignore explorer.exe. I've just managed to get it running on my very first Windows 7 Professional (first commercial release) install, and thought I should share the experience here.

I found that adding explorer.exe to the list of exceptions in the Performance Options GUI didn't help rjhE, so I figured that I'd have to disable DEP entirely. (Not good, but until a better fix comes along...) However, editing boot.ini wouldn't work in Win 7, because there isn't one, so I had to resort to running cmd (as administrator) and executing
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff
Note that the "undo" for this command is
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx OptIn
I can only hope that some better Windows programmer than I eventually reverse-engineers this splendid piece of antique freeware and releases it to relieve us of these awkward and potentially dangerous hacks.

maxamillion maxamillion is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrw View Post
[...]

Thanks to Johnrw for this fix. I have had trouble getting RjhExtensions to run on
Windows XP Mode and I had forgotten about /NoExecute=AlwaysOff

This is a wonderful utility and it is sad that the developer is no longer making the software.

Unable to access extensions menu or add extensions (I've tried past suggestions) nospam@spam.com Firefox 8 12-01-2005 01:33 AM
WinZip 9.0 - explorer extensions not there Don Awalt Windows 64bit 17 06-21-2005 02:23 PM
rjh? Allin Cottrell C Programming 24 05-18-2004 03:49 AM
Explorer Shell extensions are here! R.Marquez Python 4 12-10-2003 02:01 PM

Advertisments