Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting

Dingus

What are some good ways to improve IT troubleshooting skills when you don't
have an IT job that requires it. Seeking MCSE and believe sharpening this
skill would be beneficial.

Know that when I read this and other news groups I learn a variety of things
related to IT.

Of course there are the obvious,
-experiment with own equip.
-help those with IT related issues when possible.
-read, read, read,
-study, study, study.

but was hoping someone might point out ways that haven't occurred to me.

Thanks

why?

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:50:54 GMT, Dingus wrote:

Jump to the bottom of the reply first. It makes the other suggestions
less important.

>What are some good ways to improve IT troubleshooting skills when you don't
>have an IT job that requires it. Seeking MCSE and believe sharpening this
>skill would be beneficial.

MCSE, will make a lot of people laugh. It's not what it once was /
meant. It's also very MS and gives one a narrow view of things, I know I
haven't got one yet MCSEs do as for my assistance on a regular basis.

As mentioned own, equipment.
Get a couple of PCs, install server / workatation operating systems
including Linux / Solarix x86 / 2003 Server Domains / Active Directory.
Look at setting up FTP, Web, Mail Servers , Linux PC as a firewall and
the IP filtering rules. Security is a big issue and networking.

Hardware, component swaps , disk imaging , backup / restore. Driver
debugging issues, build up a software disgnostic toolkit that you *know*
how to use, anything from password recovery to manually removing
trojans, spyware etc.

>Know that when I read this and other news groups I learn a variety of things

See how many of the questions in 24HSHD you don't know the answer for
and work out how you would go about fixing them.

>related to IT.
>
>Of course there are the obvious,
>-experiment with own equip.
>-help those with IT related issues when possible.

That's got to be the funniest yet

>-read, read, read,
>-study, study, study.

There are just too many places to mention to put in a fairly full list
of URLs. You can use www.google.com

aumha
elder geek
cisco
linux ldp
sysinternals
microsoft msdn

From
search for some of my posts on networking, there are links all over the
place for lots of stuff.

Going back to my comments about MCSE, "ways that haven't occurred to
me." is usually what is lacking. As a rough guide I get 100 calls every
3 months, it's not a lot but it's the ones everyone else pass along. Out
of those only 8% are directly related to my job. Otherwise I do the
networking (my job) , Win3.11 to 2003 Server and Unix stuff, trojan
removal, connection problems with software, web, DNS/DHCP, FTP , server
apps configuration and install, PIX firewalls , ADSL , VPN , application
diagnostics . WAN and LAN monitoring and so it goes on.

>but was hoping someone might point out ways that haven't occurred to me.

That's top of the list for problem solving skills - to obtain.

Me