Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Discharge notebook battery??

Discharge notebook battery??

Walter Mautner

cjf wrote:

> I am fairly new to all this, so please bear with me.
> I have not seen any reports that the computer is shutting down due to a
> low battery, but I hear the warning beeps just before it shuts down. It
> then won't start until I connect it to the mains.

It won't even come as far as the bios logo? - A good indication that the
battery *really* is empty or at least has one defective cell which suddenly
gets reverse polarity.
You know, one defective cell can render a whole battery pack useless, and
the meter won't recognize it.

> Are you getting your usual amount
>> of 'up time' from the new battery?

> No I am only getting about 20 mins from each full charge, whereas I should
> be getting up to 2 hrs of use.

You may have a chance of warranty replacement.
to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.13-mm3[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Whiskers

On 2005-09-26, cjf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2005-09-26, cjf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> snip

>>> This battery was only 6 months old, also when it shuts down, there is
>>> plenty
>>> of charge showing in the battery meter, sometimes as much as 80%

>> Then you have a faulty something. Is the computer reporting that it's
>> shutting down because of a low battery?

> I am fairly new to all this, so please bear with me.
> I have not seen any reports that the computer is shutting down due to a low
> battery, but I hear the warning beeps just before it shuts down. It then
> won't start until I connect it to the mains.

That sounds to me as though the battery is 'going flat' so qickly that the
monitor software can't react.

>> Are you getting your usual amount
>> of 'up time' from the new battery?

> No I am only getting about 20 mins from each full charge, whereas I should
> be getting up to 2 hrs of use.
>
>> Were there any instructions about
>> 'first time use' or 'first charge' for the new battery?

> Yes there were instructions about first charging and I followed them.
>
>> Does the battery
>> monitor need to be 're-set'?

> I don't know how to reset the battery monitor.
>
>> Is the battery monitor set to shut down when
>> the battery gets to '80%'?

> I can't find this setting anywhere.

There should be a 'help' thingy for the battery monitor. Often, 'right
clicking' on the icon for a program will offer a useful menu or bring up an
'options' or 'settings' dialogue.

>> Does the machine function normally when running
>> directly from the mains?

> Yes it runs completely normal from the mains.

It sounds as though the battery is faulty. Unusual, but certainly not
unknown.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

raymort raymort is offline
Junior Member
Location: hereford england uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf View Post
Is there any software about that I could use to completely discharge the
battery of my Packard Bell Easynote Notebook?
XP Pro
SP2
Have a look at this ste it has very good tips on this matter: http://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-c...heir-lifetime/