Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Discharge notebook battery??

Discharge notebook battery??

John Holmes

cjf blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> cjf wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any software about that I could use to completely discharge
>>> the battery of my Packard Bell Easynote Notebook?
>>> XP Pro
>>> SP2

>> Why would you want to completely discharge this battery?

> Because after previously "Googling" for a solution, I was advised to
> completely discharge the battery.
>
> If it's
>> Li-Ion, it has no memory and can be safely recharged no matter how
>> much charge it holds at the time.

> This goes against what I have been advised earlier.
>
> If it doesn't hold a charge anymore, it's
>> probably time to get a new one.

> I might probably have to get a new one, but I decided to try
> discharging it first!
> Will that be Ok?

I would connect a small lightbulb (same voltage as the battery) to it.
When the lightbulb goes out, leave it connected for another 24 hours to
completely drain the battery.

--
Your mother was a puny Jehovah's witness who talked incessantly about
vegetables in a closely guarded military establishment.

SgtMinor

cjf wrote:
> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> cjf wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any software about that I could use to completely discharge the
>>> battery of my Packard Bell Easynote Notebook?
>>> XP Pro
>>> SP2

>> Why would you want to completely discharge this battery?

> Because after previously "Googling" for a solution, I was advised to
> completely discharge the battery.
>
> If it's
>> Li-Ion, it has no memory and can be safely recharged no matter how much
>> charge it holds at the time.

> This goes against what I have been advised earlier.
>
> If it doesn't hold a charge anymore, it's
>> probably time to get a new one.

> I might probably have to get a new one, but I decided to try discharging it
> first!
> Will that be Ok?

The "memory effect" was ascribed to NiCad batteries and there's some
debate about it being real or imagined.

The risks or benefits of a complete discharge depend on the construction
of the battery. Personally I wouldn't mess with it, and start shopping.

Jim McLaughlin

"cjf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KiUZe.28805$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > cjf wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any software about that I could use to completely discharge

the
> >> battery of my Packard Bell Easynote Notebook?
> >> XP Pro
> >> SP2

SNIPS

Get Yourself a 12 volt auto breakligh bulb, ne with only 1 filament.

Solder a pair 12 inch or so leads to the blub, one on the base point
and one on the "brass" side.

Try Rat Shack r some serious eectronics parts store for some small
alligator or micro clips. Solder one clip to each lead.
Without knowng what battery you are using, its impossible to tell what
clips will fit.
Take the battery with you to the store to try
some clips until you find the right ones that will hold on.

Clip one lead from he bulb to each of the battery contacts, bulb should
glow, and will slowly dischage battery.

You can do the same thing with a large wattage (1 watt, 5 watt, 400 - 600
ohms) but you get no visual indication,
and large wattage resistors can be both hard to find and pricey.

DO NOT try this with a little cheap assed 1/4 watt or half watt resistor
from a blister pack at Rat Shack.

Kenny

Rather than short it out put a 12V car bulb across the terminals.

--

Kenny Cargill

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lord Gazwad of Grantham wrote:

>> Why don't you remove the battery and short the terminal with a paperclip?
>>

> Paperclips tend to become solded to the contact strips as soon as they get
> really hot. OPs fingers might also suffer somehow. Said battery will
> probably bulge and explode, leaving a hell of a mess and scars in OPs face
> or somewhere else, unless the battery already is empty or it's a good
> brand
> with built-in short-circuit protection. In the latter case, it will then
> just be dead.
>
> DON'T GIVE SUCH FOOLISH ADVICE.
> --
> Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCP VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
> detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
> to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
> Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.13-mm3[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

John Holmes

Kenny blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

You ****ing plagiarist ****. I mentioned that about 2 hours ago.

--
Your mother was a transvestite behemoth who assembled plastic scale model
kits of industrial appliances at the local flea market.

SgtMinor

cjf wrote:

> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2005-09-26, cjf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> No there aren't any instructions on how to do it, thats why I am asking
>>> in
>>> here.

>> That suggests that the maker didn't expect anyone to ever have to do it.
>> Some NiCd batteries have a 'memory' that reduces their effective capacity
>> if they are frequently re-charged from the same point of partial
>> discharge,
>> and for those a complete charge and discharge cycle can ensure that the
>> battery will be able to hold a full charge; devices designed to use such
>> batteries usually have some means of discharging the battery fully before
>> it is re-charged.
>>
>> Li-ion and NiMH batteries don't seem to have a 'memory'.
>>
>> All re-chargable batteries eventually 'wear out'. The average number of
>> charge and discharge cycles to be expected should be mentioned in the
>> documentation that came with the battery; if not, try the battery-maker's
>> web site.
>>

> This battery was only 6 months old, also when it shuts down, there is plenty
> of charge showing in the battery meter, sometimes as much as 80%

You might benefit from reading this: How to charge - when to charge table

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-23.htm

And here about Li Ion batteries:

http://www.answers.com/topic/lithium-ion-battery

Whiskers

On 2005-09-26, cjf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

snip

>> All re-chargable batteries eventually 'wear out'. The average number of
>> charge and discharge cycles to be expected should be mentioned in the
>> documentation that came with the battery; if not, try the battery-maker's
>> web site.
>>

> This battery was only 6 months old, also when it shuts down, there is plenty
> of charge showing in the battery meter, sometimes as much as 80%

Then you have a faulty something. Is the computer reporting that it's
shutting down because of a low battery? Are you getting your usual amount
of 'up time' from the new battery? Were there any instructions about
'first time use' or 'first charge' for the new battery? Does the battery
monitor need to be 're-set'? Is the battery monitor set to shut down when
the battery gets to '80%'? Does the machine function normally when running
directly from the mains?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

cjf

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2005-09-26, cjf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> snip

>> This battery was only 6 months old, also when it shuts down, there is
>> plenty
>> of charge showing in the battery meter, sometimes as much as 80%

> Then you have a faulty something. Is the computer reporting that it's
> shutting down because of a low battery?

I am fairly new to all this, so please bear with me.
I have not seen any reports that the computer is shutting down due to a low
battery, but I hear the warning beeps just before it shuts down. It then
won't start until I connect it to the mains.

Are you getting your usual amount
> of 'up time' from the new battery?

No I am only getting about 20 mins from each full charge, whereas I should
be getting up to 2 hrs of use.

Were there any instructions about
> 'first time use' or 'first charge' for the new battery?

Yes there were instructions about first charging and I followed them.

Does the battery
> monitor need to be 're-set'?

I don't know how to reset the battery monitor.

Is the battery monitor set to shut down when
> the battery gets to '80%'?

I can't find this setting anywhere.

Does the machine function normally when running
> directly from the mains?

Yes it runs completely normal from the mains.

J-McC

With mobile phone batteries they can be "revived" by putting them in
the normal part of the refrigerator (in a plastic sandwich bag)
overnight. When removed from the fridge give it a 10 hour charge.
Cooling the battery seems to make themmore receptive to recharging.

It is vital to run a laptop on batteries every so often , perhaps once
a week, as the older Nicad cells would develop a memory effect and
would soon have very little capacity, ie they would perform for a
short time before going flat. The newer type of batteries are much
better but like the saying with humans "Use it or lose it" applies.

I just realised why my performance has flagged I am old.!

I seem to recall my boss had a Toshiba Portege laptop many years ago
and it had different settings for when it was running on batteries and
mains power. On battery power the CPU ran slower and consumed less
power giving less performance but a longer battery life. This can be
configured with one of the Toshiba utiluties and when she had set it
for max grunt on batteries they didnt last very long before they
needed recharging.

Have a look at this battery company web site
www.powercell.com.au

Jim McC http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:34:31 GMT, "cjf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2005-09-26, cjf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> snip

>>> This battery was only 6 months old, also when it shuts down, there is
>>> plenty
>>> of charge showing in the battery meter, sometimes as much as 80%

>> Then you have a faulty something. Is the computer reporting that it's
>> shutting down because of a low battery?

>I am fairly new to all this, so please bear with me.
>I have not seen any reports that the computer is shutting down due to a low
>battery, but I hear the warning beeps just before it shuts down. It then
>won't start until I connect it to the mains.
>
> Are you getting your usual amount
>> of 'up time' from the new battery?

>No I am only getting about 20 mins from each full charge, whereas I should
>be getting up to 2 hrs of use.
>
> Were there any instructions about
>> 'first time use' or 'first charge' for the new battery?

>Yes there were instructions about first charging and I followed them.
>
> Does the battery
>> monitor need to be 're-set'?

>I don't know how to reset the battery monitor.
>
>Is the battery monitor set to shut down when
>> the battery gets to '80%'?

>I can't find this setting anywhere.
>
> Does the machine function normally when running
>> directly from the mains?

>Yes it runs completely normal from the mains.

Unk

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:44:40 GMT, "cjf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there any software about that I could use to completely discharge the
>battery of my Packard Bell Easynote Notebook?
>XP Pro
>SP2

Back in the bad-old-days of NICADs, we used to deep discharge them with a pair of 12v auto
duel-element, taillight bulbs wired in parallel. It should be no problem to locate the ±
terminals on your battery with a volt meter and jerry-rig an adapter.